riggerrob

Hypothetical modern rigger lands in Buffalo,NY 70 years ago

***It's Buffalo. All he'd need to know is how to bowl. The rest is gravy.[/quote
....................................................................................

True!

Even being the wrong colour can get you robbed or killed in some parts of modern-day Buffalo!
The last time I took a wrong turn in Buffalo, it soon became apparent that I was the only white guy in that neighbourhood, so I pulled my motorcycle into a gas station to ask for directions. The African-American gas station owner sounded genuinely worried and gave me very careful directions to how to get to a specific bridge.

Then an African-American plumber (skilled tradesman judging by his pick-up truck offered to lead me to the bridge, since he was already headed in that direction. When we reached the appropriate traffic light, the plumber stepped out of his truck to point me towards the correct bridge. Both he and the gas station owner looked extremely relieved that a white boy escaped from their neighbourhood intact.

oldwomanc6

You don't think the time-traveller would have a few ideas that would seem odd or far-fetched, to say the least, to someone from 1934?

Imagine the modern rigger trying to explain to Leslie Irvin a 3-ring cut-away system, with interlocking rings, a steel cable and a small loop holding the parachute to the harness. No one would believe such a complicated contraption would work reliably!
( o Y o )

***You don't think the time-traveller would have a few ideas that would seem odd or far-fetched, to say the least, to someone from 1934?

Imagine the modern rigger trying to explain to Leslie Irvin a 3-ring cut-away system, with interlocking rings, a steel cable and a small loop holding the parachute to the harness. No one would believe such a complicated contraption would work reliably!

And thus be laughed out of the interview. :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

No one would believe such a complicated contraption would work reliably!

And thus be laughed out of the interview. :D

Unless he carved a model of it from scrimshaw and buffalo bone. :D

I hear the US Patent office has gazillions of old handmade models to demonstrate patent applications.

What if the modern rigger tired of hand-sewing brass cones onto containers?
What if he/she ran out of brass cones the day before a major order was due to ship?
What if he/she substituted gutted 550 cord?
What if the substitution was not discovered until the parachutes were due for (delayed due to enemy action) on an aircraft carrier in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?

What if our modern rigger LAPESed a box of ammo out the back of a pick-up truck ..... to demonstrate the concept?
What if he LAPESed jeep off the back of a deuce and a half truck?

Remember that parachuting cargo (e.g. Jeeps) was a primitive process back during the 1940s. Hint, only half the Jeeps parachuted to the SAS during the summer of 1944 could be driven off the DZ. The other half were wrecked.