Muppetdog

Risers Breaking

If risers break they break on opening rather than during ordinary flight (generalisation accepted).

In a way I'd prefer mine to break than transfer the load lower down my rig.

See, I jump with a spare set of risers with me all the time which I can swap out simply by pulling a handle or two... I only ever carry one set of MLW's and leg straps - if on of those broke I'd be propper screwed.

Can anyone say approx what the relative strength of mini and standard risers are?

I'm all for a "load limiter", but don't like the harder cutaway force inherent with mini risers. A mechanism to control the hard opening forces that can be delivered to your body is good, but it should be constant over time/# of jumps used. The fact that a big guy like me gets no comfort advantage is another reason to not bother with minis.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Broken mini risers are really rare these days.
When you consider that PIA published specs for reinforced mini risers more than a decade ago ... makes you wonder why anyone would still be jumping them.
The whole "broken riser" scenario required a combination of errors to hurt people. The problem started with a whole bunch of new technology being introduced simultaneously: ZP fabric, wing-loadings more than 1:1, Spectra, tube stows, etc. Combine that with sloppy packing and you got the occassional hard opening that broke the ocassional riser.
The scenario that broke a few tandem risers is still with us, but fortunately, packers and TIs are so conscientious about straightening out flip-throughs, that I only heard of one broken tandem riser last year.
Oh, and remember that risers only break during opening shock - like that earlier poster said.

Broken mini risers are really rare these days.

It happened at SGC early this year, on a Vector III, the guy is not a lightweight, but not unusual.

When you consider that PIA published specs for reinforced mini risers more than a decade ago ... makes you wonder why anyone would still be jumping them.

Of course you mean why would anyone still be jumping the NON-reinforced risers.

The whole "broken riser" scenario required a combination of errors to hurt people.

The ONLY error that is required is to not replace them soon enough. As I said earlier, I like the idea of a load limiter, but would not like the idea of the risers becoming vulnerable after 400 or so jumps like many advise. If I have a few hard openings, should I reduce that number? No thanks, this is not progress - I'll pass on being modern.

The problem started with a whole bunch of new technology being introduced simultaneously: ZP fabric, wing-loadings more than 1:1, Spectra, tube stows, etc.

I contend that tube stows for the locking stows means you are less likely to have bag dump due to rubber bands breaking as your bag is accelerated off your back. I'll take strong tube stows over weak rubber bands any day. Of course having loose locking stows is not smart, but don't blame it on tube stows. Have you ever found your locking stows broken after a jump? Consider that they may have broken when they were needed most, and bag dump is the result.

The scenario that broke a few tandem risers is still with us, but fortunately, packers and TIs are so conscientious about straightening out flip-throughs, that I only heard of one broken tandem riser last year.

Flip throughs caused broken risers? I don't remember that.

I'd still like to know the relative strength of wide vs narrow risers.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Flip throughs caused broken risers? I don't remember that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Flip throughs can break risers on any tandem system. The problem starts after landing, when slack on the lines allows risers to flop forward. Since tandem harness rings cannot flop forward, it is easy for risers to flop so far forward that the middle ring passes backwards through the harness ring. If you jump them in that configuration, you overload the small ring and break the riser.
About a decade ago, manufacturers addressed this by changing tandem risers from Type 8 to Type 7, however, that only solves part of the problem.
We still depend upon the vigilance of packers and TIs. Just last weekend I had to straighten out the risers on two tandem rigs before I could pack them.

I was at a boogie two weeks ago and a good friend of mine had a hard opening and broke his rear mini riser on one side. It was a new canopy and the canopy was not damaged.

It ripped in half just below the toggle keeper.

He is about 265+ gear exit weight. The canopy was new but the risers had 500+ jumps. He had a hard opening about two weeks before that tore lines on an older canopy resulting in a reserve ride.

He replaced the canopy but not the risers so we speculated the risers were weakened by the first hard opening and snapped after several jumps on the new canopy.

Makes you think....The tandems don't use mini risers do they?