bseriesboosted

would this be a good student container

Questions to make things a little more clear:

1) Is it to be used as a student rig, or for a beginner just off student status?
2) What canopies are intended to be used in it?
3) What is the body weight and experience level of the jumper to be using it?

I wont be using it untill i am off student status but it is a dood deal that is why im thinking of getting it now.

the seller said that it will hold up to a sabre190 or smaller, I would like to use a 180+ main so that seems to be fine

me and the seller are about the same size im a little taller.

I hope thats what you need if not ask away because i dont want to buy it then not use it...
Pruitt

Skydive The Farm

You should really have an instructor or jumpmaster who knows you talk to you about this. One of the old guys with an open mind, who's more used to figuring out how to make things work than just identifying why they won't.

That said, you have to try it on to see how it feels, and you have to consider if pink is the color for you.

A 1993 Javelin might still have soft cutaway cable housings (around the neck). If so, you should definitely have hard ones installed. It might have a legstrap-mounted pilot chute pouch, and you should probably convert that to a BOC. It's not as freefly-friendly as something newer if you're interested in that in the long run, but it's not terribly bad, either. There are tuck-in flaps for both main and reserve.

The C-yoke is wide, especially to go with a 15-inch harness. That implies a fairly short body and wide shoulders. Not the hugest thing if it feels secure and comfortable, but that's the shape it was originally bought for probably.

And older rigs sometimes have a reserve container that will hold a significantly smaller reserve. You really want a reserve in the same size class as your main -- it's a parachute you might have to jump under worse rather htan better conditions.

Just a couple of things to think about.

That said, I have a Javelin I bought used and I'm very happy with it; if these considerations (which would apply to any gear) are OK, and a rigger looks at it and says it's OK, and someone else whom you trust says that it'll hold good-sized canopies for you, then doesn't sound bad at all.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Javelin J-3 container, C-15 harness. DOM June 93. Great condition. All black with pink highlights. Approx. 500 jumps.

would this be a good beginner container??

Make sure the rig will fit you appropriately as far as main lift placement/handle position as well as leg pad length. A harness too small/large will be uncomfortable or even unsafe in extreme circumstances. Have an instructor or rigger check the fit on you. Your measurements can also be sent to Sun Path and they will tell you the ideal size Javelin for you...and how far off this one is.

Also make sure a rigger inspects the container for wear and service bulletins prior to purchase so you know what you're looking at as far as upkeep.

The only concerns I have with older Javelins is making sure there is a bridle cover and/or velcro installed near the BOC...and that the tuck flaps (riser covers/main pin) are not warped/broken and stay closed.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

the seller said that it will hold up to a sabre190 or smaller, I would like to use a 180+ main so that seems to be fine

The J3 is sized for a 170 main. A 190 might go in there if you're a good packer, but it's going to be more of a struggle than it should be.

I'm betting you're not a good packer *yet*. Why struggle with your new rig.

me and the seller are about the same size im a little taller.

Id be more concerned with your weight. Can you get a large enough (read: Safe enought) reserve in the J3 for you're body weight.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

well she is 120lbs and im a 125 lbs so i dont see a huge dif in our sizes exept for im 2 inches taller

I wouldn't buy it unless you're confident you can sell it for about the same price. I might get flamed and I really don't care, but I don't think a 125lb jumperwith 1 or 2 jumps should commit to buying gear he/she doesn't understand much about and that is built for a 190sf canopy unless it's very cheap and can easily be sold for what it was bought for (as per an experienced rigger who checks the gear out and can give an unbiased opinion (not friend of the seller)).

Aside from the fact that it holds a pretty large canopy that you'd load at less than .8lbs per sf. which is pretty low and can keep you on the ground in moderate winds, there are other things to consider (bridal protection addition if you plan to freefly, hard cable housings container/risers, and i'm sure others as well).

Otherwise, rent, get an idea of what's out there, then buy gear when you know a little more about it.

jmo. flame away:D:P
Angela.