Amazon

Survival in the SouthEastern USA

Face it... the south gets all kinds of fun stuff.

Skeeters (that carry a plethora of diseases that killed many thousands of the first European settlers). Chiggers.... ( those are also known as Red Bugs for those with reading comprehension deficit disorder) Fire Ants( always fun times with them):|

Add another to the list ya'll

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/deadly-kissing-bug-reported-georgia-cdc-says/npTf3/

There are approximately 300,000 people in the U.S. who have been infected by the parasite, but the majority of them acquired Chagas in Latin America, where Chagas is endemic, according to the CDC. The CDC said it does not have enough data to estimate how frequently people in the U.S. are infected with Chagas from triatomine bugs.

The bugs have recently made headlines for popping up around the South, especially in Texas, where 12 people have reportedly been infected with the parasite.

Suslique

my all time horror is lyme ticks. makes me too paranoid to enjoy hikes :(

Look for a good set of gaiters.... and spray the heck out of them with DEET and I put other forms of chemical warfare to not only deter them but kill them all too... I soak my gaiters in pure unadulterated SEVIN and then let them dry .... when I go into the woods in the east where they are the most prevalent.

For ticks you don't want DEET you permethren. Wet you socks and pants with it amd let it dry
They say don't spray it on bare skin.
I have and its never bothered me .ymmv on that
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

For ticks you don't want DEET you permethren. Wet you socks and pants with it amd let it dry
They say don't spray it on bare skin.
I have and its never bothered me .ymmv on that

Try a long hot sweaty day, apply deep woods OFF, you get a bit high.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun