ryoder

Surfers now have the equivalent of wind tunnels

http://kswaveco.com/

Some googling turns up artist renderings from above, but no photos. It is apparently shaped like a donut with the wave continuously circling an island in the center. I'm really curious how it works. Seems like moving all that water would be costly.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

http://kswaveco.com/It is apparently shaped like a donut with the wave continuously circling an island in the center. I'm really curious how it works. Seems like moving all that water would be costly.

If it is shaped as you've described, then the energy input could be slow and built on wave resonance. Now, I'm not exactly certain how you get that wave to go around a natural island and I'd think you'd have to construct some interesting embankments to redirect the energy hitting the outside edge back into the system, but . . . I can envision a system that could possibly work. It might take awhile for it to get going, but if you worked it right, it might not take all that much energy to keep it going compared to a traditional wave generator going straight.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

GooniesKid

That's a total win for human inginuity. i'm so down to try it.

But why is the water "brown"? :|

Rumor has it they worked out a dual-use deal to split the construction cost with a wastewater treatment plant that needed an aeration pond.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.