HIDGAF84

Help... Please -- Windows 7 Error; Can't Boot

Amazon

I can't believe this has dragged on for this long...

It's the "new game" thread. It's like playing russian roulette for a month without anyone blowing their head off. . .
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

***I can't believe this has dragged on for this long...

It's the "new game" thread. It's like playing russian roulette for a month without anyone blowing their head off. . .

I am odd. I guess. I expect things in my life to work... when they don't it is time to replace them...
Best to just pass the old non working stuff off instead of spending so much time and energy.....

I do that more and more as time passes... Cutting away the dead wood makes for a much less complicated s life. Today I am cutting away a "friend" hate to do it but he has the worst case of ADHD I have ever seen in my life. Friendship is a two way street. The friendship got stuck on a one way street and I am taking an exit

Amazon

I am odd. I guess. I expect things in my life to work... when they don't it is time to replace them...
Best to just pass the old non working stuff off instead of spending so much time and energy.....

...but there's really no reason to throw away a perfectly good computer just because of some corrupted software. Most people that have given advice in this thread could probably have this laptop up and running within an hour, even if they had to replace the hard drive - which I doubt.

It just pisses me off the amount of money people spend on tech service - or upgrades/replacements that the typical consumer doesn't need nor will ever use.

Chances are that once he gets this laptop running, it'll qualify for a free windows 10 upgrade - which I would highly recommend if possible.

IMO, the only reason to throw away a computer is because of a serious electrical/hardwre/motherboard issue.

Amazon

I do that more and more as time passes... Cutting away the dead wood makes for a much less complicated s life. Today I am cutting away a "friend" hate to do it but he has the worst case of ADHD I have ever seen in my life. Friendship is a two way street. The friendship got stuck on a one way street and I am taking an exit

Sorry for your loss. I know ADHD can be rough on loved ones of those afflicted, especially if they're self-medicating with drugs/gambling. I don't know the specifics of your situation, so I'm not sure I can offer much insight into whether or not you're making the right decision.

I could fix that thing in a heartbeat.. but what for?? Its 4 feaking years old...

opt for the new..... even if you get Win7 up.. you are still embracing old tech that will not run like a newer proc.. with more ram.... and the low end ones are cheap...

If the OP has a real fondness for this particular computer.... put Redhat on it...

but a new Convertible Tablet/slaptop HP with a touchscreen.. with 12 GB and a 1 TB was a whopping $649on sale at Costco.. I am very pleased with it. more so than my old I7 1 TB with 8 GB ram...17" Inspirion with a 3D LED and solid state drive.... it was big.. heavy and I gave it to a friend after I wiped it and put Win 10 on it for her and her kid.

http://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-15-Q493CL-Touchscreen-Slim-Quad-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i7-%7c-4GB-Graphics-%7c-1080p.product.100283312.html

I have one hell of a beast - an enthusiast "god box" if you will, but I've always found use for my older comps. Hell, I still have one running XP if I need to pump out some minor renders when other machines are busy.

...but ya - I do it for business - plus I'm a bit of a pack-rat when it comes to old computer parts.

Also, I imagine windows 10 performing about the same on an older laptop as on a newer tablet - if not better (minus features not designed for the laptop, ofcourse)

Amazon

Also, that's not a bad replacement, but I think many typical consumers can settle for 8mb RAM, integrated graphics and a 15" screen and wouldn't need/notice the difference - and with $300+ cash left in their pocket.

I'd say try to fix the one he has, and when needed, upgrade when the technology is even better with faster ram and newer sockets for the same price - if not less. (not much longer)

Amazon

I could fix that thing in a heartbeat.. but what for?? Its 4 feaking years old...

My laptop is 7.5 years old and still running like a champ. MBP with 2.66 GHz Core2Duo, 8GiB RAM, 250 SSD, running OS X 10.11.4. It still specs higher than cheap entry level PCs. Why replace it just for the sake of replacing it?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

It's not deadwood…

It's not, not working…

It's malfunctioning, and the singular main tool to fix it, I don't have.

And from reading what Coreeece just wrote, it looks like this will be taking even longer.

It was not possible for me to bring the laptop with me, therefore I can neither currently look on the bottom of the laptop, nor inside the battery area. So if I don't have the product number, I can't make the download from where I am and make the disk/USB drive.

I thought I had the product code, but also thought I wouldn't need the product code until the files were downloaded and attempted to be used.

Does anyone have a Windows 7 product code?

Anybody got old software sitting around with a product code on it?

Debating calling up Dell and complaining, (they should make that clearly known and understood why it is necessary to do immediately upon opening the box) and seeing if they have a product code/licensing code that I can put in.

Well... sigh ...this sure has been an "interesting" learning experience.

So I'm back from out of town, to where my laptop is. Was about 30 hours away and got stuck there for 2 months; did not have the ability to bring it with me.

I now have the main tool that I did not have before; and thank you again for the ISO; provider above.

A few days ago I worked on this, hoping I would quickly know the outcome. Unfortunately, I do not... and I'm a bit lost.

It appears I burned the disk(s) properly, it is recognized as a Win 7 disk. From memory, I changed the boot order to DVD (F2), and it started as expected, began loading temp files, but then the screens were not what I had seen / researched previously. I thought it would bring me to the screen with english and keyboard (2m02s below) and then the next screen would have the "repair your computer" link (versus previously F8), bringing me to the recovery menu. However, it first listed all Win 7 versions and said to pick (so, wondering first if this an ISO for all 64x versions, not just home premium? - No response yet from provider.)

When I clicked next, it couldn't see any drives... there was nothing I could see to do to advance.

So I backed out, didn't "hit any key to boot to dvd", and it booted as normal with all the same issues I noted in the thread (at the end; after initial boot fixes - still functioning in the same capacity, stable, but unable to use 90% of applications).

I then was trying to figure out how to run SFC from the disk, but I'm lost. I WAS doing "offline" from Win DIR (video below), but that repair partition is corrupt too; fixed some but not all system file errors.

I then accidentally double clicked the dvd drive, instead of opening/exploring it (was going to look for the actual folder with all the system files (previous resource stated it could be copied to the computer from a win 7 disk and simply replaced prior to running SFC) and try to run SFC off it). It however then copied temp files (like DVD boot, but still able to see/access the desktop) and began to run the installation. I saw all the same stuff, same first screen, but now all partitions did show up.

Looking at this link, that does now correlate with #2 (but not with the screens; the picking of windows version or a partition), but I am worried about the #3 part; "don't install now"; because the screens are not the same.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-repair-windows-7-system-installation-disc.htm

Start up repair never found anything, but SFC fixed some but not all...

So, given that I am not seeing the same screens... 2m2s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL_AvTLnchU -- I do not get this screen when booting from dvd (and he says its working from the disk, but its not, he is using the win dir in windows, but what he does, is what I did previously)... So, I'm lost.

Booting from the dvd did not give me the chance to hit F8 for the recovery menu; as I got previously with a normal boot into F8... it goes to the list of OS types.

What am I missing?

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to boot from the DVD, or can I simply run it as I accidentally did above within a normal windows boot?

Haven't been able to do more until now, but I'll be working on this all night; wrapped up some things, so this is now my main priority.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Does anyone have an email address for RMK?

I don't understand why this ISO is not functioning as it should. I was able to get to the advanced options menu, but F8 after booting from DVD does not give "repair your computer" option. Nor do all the screens from the initial link about a repair install in the first posts match.

So I'm again without the main tool it appears… unless I can get some answers about this ISO.

Been travelling and have not logged in recently. See your message and will reply later today.

In brief, ISO file I sent is Win7 64 bit Home Premium (it will confirm/note this prior to the install).
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Hey Hey!

No worries, I figured that was the case.

No real [apparent] rush though, the issue has been figured out. Someone new messaged me a bit before a mod removed a post that was made; an Extremely Knowledgeable Individual.

I'll fill you in when you start replying; however, it appears the only current info needed, unless you know something he doesn't, is for you to confirm the exact size of the ISO. To insure it is not incomplete; from a download issue. But all signs indicate it is complete, and I did burn the DVD properly. As discussed, you stated you have actually used it, so size and your input would confirm what he made me aware of with this current issue.

Sailing offshore; don't have laptop or copy of file with me. Back on Tuesday.

Whatever size I originally noted should have been correct to tenth of GB; though don't always rely on what download services note.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"