RMK

Buying Concert Tickets – Advice Needed

Over the past 10+ years I’ve not been going to many big concerts, but now that my son is a little older (10yrs old) he’s keen to see some bands and we’ll start going to see some shows – though not in the general standing area.

I was looking to buy tickets to see The Chilli Peppers in London (December), but find I’m not up on the best methods to get good seats.

It seems the arena themselves (O2 Centre) only has shit seating locations and the good spots are only on other third-party commercial venodor sites such as TicketMaster, ViaGoGo, GetMein, etc.

I’m OK to pay up for good seats, but feel the ticket system is designed to fuck the unwary. After finding the best seats possible (good, but not great), they were £170 each (£340 for 2), however after going to checkout there was a mix of fees including “booking fees” of £49 each, so my total then went to near £500 – upon which I cancelled the transaction, because I know there’s always booking fees, but £100 for 2 tix seemed silly.

Any tips/pointers on buying concert tickets?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Anymore I tend to shy away from the big bands and the huge venues for that very reason. Pearl Jam fought Ticketmaster . . . and lost. [:/]

In this world of "first class and coach" sometimes getting "shite" seats for a livable price is what you may have to do to see some bands on a budget. Back when all the seats were same price I'd always wonder how some people got front row. I never did. (These were the days of standing in line at the box office).

I'm lucky to like a few smaller bands that play more modest venues at reasonable prices. I believe my days of Arena Rock are over. ;):D

Set a budget and stick to it. Most big venues have a good video system so being super close it's that much of an issue these days.

If going the secondary ticket market route, be sure to get physical (hard) tickets.

And since you haven't been to many shows in recent years be ready for the cell phones. Just about every self absorbed jack wagon that thinks, 1- they need multiple selfies with the band in the background or 2- they want a washed out video with overblown audio of the show will pull their phone out as soon as the house lights go down.

I find it is very distracting and takes away from the show. But until they are banned or people keep them put away they'll be out- you've been forwarded.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

I really need to LOVE a band to pay big arena prices these days and even if you call or get on line as soon as the ticket sales are open the best seats are gone and you're still paying a small fortune for decent to OK seats and way too much for the not so good seats.

Last ticket I bought for an arena show I paid about $30.00 in various fees and taxes on top of the face value of the ticket. I did get in on an unexpected presale though and I think my seat will be pretty awesome ............