NewGuy2005

Anyone Ever Live and Work in Japan?

One of my daughters is graduating in May (suma cum laude!) and is wanting to work in Japan for a couple of years. She has taken all of the Japanese courses her school offers and has also spent 5 weeks in Japan taking another Japanese class.

She is focusing on teaching English, but I'm sure there are other options I want to make sure she explores. Any suggestions?

When I was stationed in Iwakuni in the 80's, there was a Japanese University in Hiroshima, an hour away, that specialized in teaching English to Japanese college students. It was great for the servicemen, because we could take the train up there, and find young Japanese folks who were just dying to try out their English skills on real Americans. Americans with southern accents, Boston accents, and so on. It was a great way to hang out with the natives and learn, and the chicks are hot. Perhaps your daughter could look into doing some teaching at that University...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshima_University

Oh, and the University of Maryland had overseas branches on US military bases to offer college classes to servicemen. So a professor could go teach classes for a year or more, and immerse themselves in the new culture. That might be an option too.

https://chroniclevitae.com/jobs/0000920762-01

NewGuy2005

She is focusing on teaching English, but I'm sure there are other options I want to make sure she explores. Any suggestions?

One of my best friends from early childhood did this right out of college and loved it. He also used the location as a base for travel in that area. No regrets and would advise anyone with the opportunity to do the same. He later went to law school, practiced for about 30 years and just retired in a northern WV. I wish I had followed him.
Dano

I was stationed on Okinawa for two years. Was out on a boat dive one weekend, and learned the four American ladies out with us were all English teachers on mainland, and had come down for a long weekend holiday. They were ecstatic when I took them on base and shopped with them at the exchange (yeah, I know, not allowed -- but they didn't go nuts, and only picked up a couple magazines and a bag or two of candy for their students). They didn't realize all the "Americana" they were missing until they got on base.

Bottom line -- they loved what they did. But yes, there are other options. The U.S. has a large military footprint both on mainland and Okinawa, and they employ a lot of civilians (Japanese and American). They also employ a lot of civilian teachers at the DoD schools.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!