Thanatos340

Cleaning Blood Stains off ZP?

Somehow I busted up my hand a little during deployment and ended up with a small gash on my Knuckle. I didn’t realize this until after I had landed and daisy chained my lines and pulled my slider through. Now I have some blood stains on the slider and a few spots here and there on the canopy and lines.

What is the best way to get Blood out of ZP?

It should be easy to wash the blood off ZP fabric as ZP fabric is waterproof, with a smooth surface. Just use warm water and dad the blood off with a soft cloth.
It will be more difficult to wash blood off of slider tape, as the tape has pores between individual fibers. If the blood has dried on the slider, it may be impossible to remove without exotic chemicals, chemicals that I do not trust around life-saving fabric.

The Slider tape may come clean with soap and water. Just use some liquid detergent, say.. woolite, murphy's oil soap, cheer ... It may not get completely clean. Use cold water because warm and hot sets blood stains in quite nicely.

Washing it off the ZP Should be easy.

Edit:.. warm water like room temp is fine, just stay away from hot.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

According to Poynter's Parachute Manual, remove blood stains with cold, clean water. Daub the stain with clean cloths. I dip just the blood-stained area, in a small tub of cold, clean water, daub it with clean cloths and continue the process till the stain is gone. Allow to 'air' dry, out of the sun. Warm water will set the stain. There should be instructions for removing blood-stains as well as other stains in the 'Owner's Manual' for your parachute. Hope, this helps.

Chuck

Yeah I know this will sound weird and I have yet to test it because I have not bled on anything since I was told this. My sister got blood on her shirt once and was told to use her own saliva to get it out. She tried it and said it worked. The idea being that your own saliva will dissolve your own blood due to the chemical makeup (I'm guessing something to do with enzymes or maybe DNA), not sure, but just a suggestion and worth a try.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

Hi,
I did it last year, for a friend's ZP canopy, after a bloody bad landing. Canopy and girl are ok now.

Clean immediatly the fresh blood with COLD water.
No soap, no warm water !

Laurent, autrefois sur l'ile de La Reunion
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/windsurf/skydive