jones32

bought stolen gear and need help !

hi all not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here goes>
I bought some stolen gear off here over a year ago found out it was stolen when i sent cypres in for 4 year service. i checked it all before i bought it and of course i dowsized and sold it again before i new it was stolen. any way my ? do i need to sue the guy i bought it from to get my money back or should he be ordered to pay restitution through the courts to me nobody seems to have this answer since the gear was bought over the net and he lives in GA and i live in WA. the cypress that i kept out of the gear was sent back to the owner with disagreement on my part and i have located all the other gear and the guys are going to be willing to give it back and the place it was stole from said they would help us out on new gear a little. so everything will work out but if the cops just arrest him for theft and he ends up doing comunity service or something that is not justice for me or the other guys. i think we should be able to get the money back that we are out! if anyone has dealt with this before please let me know thanks

If they are arrested and convicted, some states have a "Crime Victim Restitution Fund" (or some other such name).

When sentenced, part of the Judge's fine includes the amount that was stolen from you, the criminal has to pay the courts and the courts pay you. Having said that; sometimes it is for the whole amount; other times you get an apportionment; other times you get nada.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

well, (this is german law though...) when you bought it off him, you had a contract that stated he has to provide you with the ownership of the gear for the money you pay. He can't provide ownership of stolen gear, because he never got ownership when he stole it(ownership remains with the original rightful owner). So he didn't fullfill his part of the deal and has to give all your money back. Same thing with when you sold the gear. Basically everybody has to give it all back to the respective person. Theoretically all good, but usually the thief doesn't have the money, why he steals in the first place...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

well, (this is german law though...) when you bought it off him, you had a contract that stated he has to provide you with the ownership of the gear for the money you pay. He can't provide ownership of stolen gear, because he never got ownership when he stole it(ownership remains with the original rightful owner). So he didn't fullfill his part of the deal and has to give all your money back. Same thing with when you sold the gear. Basically everybody has to give it all back to the respective person. Theoretically all good, but usually the thief doesn't have the money, why he steals in the first place...

Same in the UK.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

It is doubtful that you will get the $$ back but try calling the police or such as the transaction was probably across state lines and involved the mail so you might be able to nail them for that. But don't post the names that is a legal mess unless you have a conviction.
Chris

Until the culprits are convicted of a crime, to publicly accuse them of one might get ya in trouble if you actually name them...But how about exact cities & the guy's initials......The skydiving community is small, so that may be enough info for some of us to figure it out, without you having to actually name them..
I'm curious because I heard a story about a Georgia guy who reportedly recently stole 2 CYPRESs by claiming UPS never delivered them when they really did, then he collected the Insurance money. put the original 2 in his personal rigs (he's a rigger) & sold the 2 replacements for money to buy a Tandem

Until the culprits are convicted of a crime, to publicly accuse them of one might get ya in trouble if you actually name them.

I take it you mean "trouble" as in being accused with libel or slander. In any court the truth is a defence against libel.
I say name them if you know they knew what was going on.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals