LannerFalcon

Hook Knife

If you are in the UK it is a requirement for you to carry a hook knife on every single jump you make. You should not be allowed on the plane without one somewhere on you, your rig or your jumpsuit.

If you are unsure what it is there for, or what you would do with it and under what circumstances, grab an instructor and ask for a hook knife brief.

If you are jumping in other ares you should check local rules, but the UK is one of the few places where it is mandatory.

best place for a knife?

any DZ shop will carry them starting at arround £5 for a cheap plasticy thing. This will pass a flight line check and get you on the plane but most people here who have used them will tell you it will simply break the first time you need it.

There are some very good metal ones to be had, try www.Square1.com or look in the Mag for some adverts. These are a little more pricey at about $25 + shipping but it's your call.

If you're going to be doing CRW or other high entanglement risk activities then you may want to look into one of the larger knives available out there. These are not really practical to cary though unless you're a CRW dawg.

Any gear store anywhere should be able to sell you one.

You could try The Kit Store (based at Headcorn - telephone 01622 890967) or DZ Sports for mail order or any DZ shop should have them in stock.

Once you get you knife look after it and be wary of lending it out - they have a habit of disappearing!

Vicki

Under the BPA rules, you are not allowed to carry a hook knife whole you are a student, but as soon as you are CAT 8, you must carry one, even though most people are never told what they need one for. Got to love the BPA!

You can buy a knife from just about any DZ shop or gear store. The cheapest is the small plastic one, although I have heard that they can brake with ease. You can get a very similar design, but in metal for more money, and it is the latest thing to have (knife wise). You can also get big zac knives (long handle), but I have heard that if you need to cut risers etc they are not very good as the blades separate. The biggest, baddest knives you can get are the sort the CReW jumpers use, though I don't know what they are called.

If you want to know where to keep a knife, well there a loads of places. The small plastic ones can go in a knife pouch that is often built into the rig (either on the leg strap or riser padding). Otherwise, you can just put the whole pouch on your chest strap or leg strap. Some people also sew a knife pocket onto their suit. A rule of thumb is, if the knife is at your chest strap or higher, have the pocket facing down (so it's a downwards pull to get the knife out). If the pocket is lower than your chest strap, have the pocket facing up.

Best thing to do is talk to an instructor about what you need them for, and where to put them. If the instructor doesn't know, find another instructor. Hope this helps

Blue skies

Paul

Under the BPA rules, you are not allowed to carry a hook knife whole you are a student, but as soon as you are CAT 8, you must carry one, even though most people are never told what they need one for. Got to love the BPA

Yeah thats a doozy alright.......I got told I had to carry one off CAT8.....but didnt really know exactly what for ( and with all the info overload off Cat 8, dumbass here didnt ask right away)......I think I spent the rest of the day staring at this little razor blade in a pink plastic casing going through all the potential things I thought I might need it for.....before I asked.
These included ( but were not limited to):-
1) Threatning the regulars who pushed in at the manifest window.
2)Cutting my laces to the right size so they didnt flap around
3)Getting those damn snapped bungees off my D Bag....(you know the ones that just wont come off !!)
4)Something to think about on my way to altitude that took my mind off jumping outta aeroplanes !
5) Slicing my Chorizo to go in my lunch sandwiches down at the DZ....tasty tasty..thankyou very much.

(edited to add....please dont use your hook knife for 2,3 and 5.........1 and 4 are absolutely fine ;))