SecondRound

Back for a Second Round 35 years later

Hello to all. After reading this forum for a few months I have stepped up and registered. I would describe myself as someone who tried skydiving, wandered away from the sport, and never quite lost the bug. My short jump history consists of 6 static line jumps made at the Spearfish SD drop zone in the fall of 1977. I still have my very ratty jump record passing me for freefall signed by Tony Frost. I also have hung onto my USPA patch. I wish I has hung onto my copy of Poynter's Parachute manual.
For various reasons I now am interested in returning to the sport which has held my attention for so long. The only bad thing is the sheer amount of change in the sport which has me confused since things like tandems and AFF were still in the future and Square chutes were for experts while us novices jumped 28' LLs and T10 7TUs. Although I do remember watching Greg Behrens doing a cutaway from a Delta chute. Its already been educational following some of the threads, and I hope I will find ways to contribute to the discourse. It feels good to be back.:)

Your path is very similar to mine: 10 jumps in 1974, then returned most exactly 2 years ago this month. I spent a huge amount of time learning about what the sport was all about in these modern times (barely recongizable) before deciding to start again.

The gear is definitely more complex, but the good news is that PLF practice is now only a small part of your FJC. (Or maybe that's not a good thing, lol!)

Where you located?

I am in Minnesota, just East of the twin cities on the Mississippi. Looking back, I actually was proud of my PLFs and my mastery of Capewell cutaways. I am pretty sure I won't miss the extra weight and the belly mount reserve. Thanks for making me feel welcome, it looks like there are some things that haven't changed. Skydivers are still a great big family.

Thanks for the welcome. I have not decided what will be the best way to make my second first jump. Even though I have done static line, I am a little leery of making a solo first jump. This time around I am not 25 with no children to worry about , instead I am 60 with kids and grand kids. Also my sense is that while squares are more reliable, when things go bad they can go bad quickly and have some pretty hairy gyrations. I remember bicycling out of line twists under a round chute and it was no big deal. I have seen Brian Germain's video of his protracted line twist and I think it might be a little too much workload to deal with in addition to the first jump jitters. I guess thats my long way of saying that for me my choices have come down to 1. AFF 2. Tandem as first step in AFP 3. Tandem with little ground training. Then there is the whole jump plane issue, I know 182 and Beech 18, yet I have easy access to 2 different turbine drop zones here in MN. I am going to do some phone calling and go with my gut feeling now that I have analyzed
things to death. Maybe I am getting old, my first jump was a WTF moment.

I've been where you are. Started on rounds. Couple hundred jumps, then quit to raise the family. Now I'm back.

Hey, our kids are grown now, right? We did our jobs. Now back to living to live, not just to stay alive.

You're 60 now? Lotta shit can happen at this stage. The time to do this is now. Time to stop looking at the sky and thinking; time for doing.

Get off your ass and jump. See you there.

Mr. Germain's video is a rather extreme case. I'd have cut it away as soon as I realized it was no ordinary line twist. I imagine the spinning would have clued me in pretty quickly. That man is a trained professional, do not attempt at home.

Don't let the turbines intimidate you! Jumping out of them is not so different than jumping out of a Cessna. The turbine planes are a somewhat more comfortable ride to altitude.

I did AFF and liked it, but it does require rounding up instructors to jump with you. At low traffic DZs this might be a problem. Either way, I think you'll like how the sport has progressed.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Thank you all. Now to hope winter ends soon up here on the tundra.
My mission now is to find a DZ that trains with Racer rigs. They were recommended to me back in the day and I feel I can trust them. And yes I realize that I lack the experience to have an educated opinion, but please humor an old man who has his quirks.

Welcome back. My first jumps were in 1973, Had a bad motorcycle crash in '81 and Dr. said I needed to hand it up... With the help of the great people at Kapowsin, came back 32 years later. Equipment and the aircraft are different, for sure. I'd say everything,including the jumper is generally safer. After 170's 182's. Beech's and DC3's- turbines absolutely rock!
Waiting for spring now and selling my waterski!

Thank you all. Now to hope winter ends soon up here on the tundra.
My mission now is to find a DZ that trains with Racer rigs. They were recommended to me back in the day and I feel I can trust them. And yes I realize that I lack the experience to have an educated opinion, but please humor an old man who has his quirks.

:)
You will get this, I have no doubts!!!
I reccomend you find a Mr. John Sherman and share your wonderfull "quirks." DeLand is nice this time of year, and he is mostly just down the street! Good luck,

Join pops!

Set some goals

return to the living,

peace

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Thanks for the welcome. I have not decided what will be the best way to make my second first jump. Even though I have done static line, I am a little leery of making a solo first jump. This time around I am not 25 with no children to worry about , instead I am 60 with kids and grand kids. Also my sense is that while squares are more reliable, when things go bad they can go bad quickly and have some pretty hairy gyrations. I remember bicycling out of line twists under a round chute and it was no big deal. I have seen Brian Germain's video of his protracted line twist and I think it might be a little too much workload to deal with in addition to the first jump jitters. I guess thats my long way of saying that for me my choices have come down to 1. AFF 2. Tandem as first step in AFP 3. Tandem with little ground training. Then there is the whole jump plane issue, I know 182 and Beech 18, yet I have easy access to 2 different turbine drop zones here in MN. I am going to do some phone calling and go with my gut feeling now that I have analyzed
things to death. Maybe I am getting old, my first jump was a WTF moment.

Just go for the nice big student squares... after jumping so many rounds back in the day. I was good to go for a round jump 20 some years later.. I was kinda amazed at just how fast a 35' TU can come down.( I think the air was thicker in the 1970's.. man that was a fast landing) Do your old legs a favor and save the rounds for Water jumps later... BIG SPLASH is far more enjoyable than a great big THUD as you meet up with Terra-Way-To-Firma under any of the old cheapo round canopy's.:ph34r::ph34r:

;)

there are also a number of returning jumpin posts here, do a search for some late night reading!

In addition there are also some "fun" organizations that you might want to seek out as well!

there is even one for jumpers that have long lapse's in time!
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Super excited now, Looked Tony Frost up while I was in Tucson and confirmed that skydivers are family. He offered great advice on how skydiving has changed over the years, and how a jumper of more mature years can enjoy the sport and stay safe. The discussion also helped me pin down my motivation. Simply put, I feel at home in the sky. So me, my battered jump card with 6 jumps on it, and my shiny new logbook are headed to the drop zone. I have already reinitiated my USPA membership so I am ready

Super excited now, Looked Tony Frost up while I was in Tucson and confirmed that skydivers are family. He offered great advice on how skydiving has changed over the years, and how a jumper of more mature years can enjoy the sport and stay safe. The discussion also helped me pin down my motivation. Simply put, I feel at home in the sky. So me, my battered jump card with 6 jumps on it, and my shiny new logbook are headed to the drop zone. I have already reinitiated my USPA membership so I am ready

Hope to share some air one of these days...old timer! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Had a pretty cool day today, made first door dive exit and moved to a throw out pilot chute on a smaller canopy. Even had an educational fuck-up, let a knee get low , went ass over teakettle and popped out belly down like a planned loop. Then to top it off, got home and found my new SOS card waiting for me with the number 1777. Oh, and there was a package from a gear company waiting for me. My A license is in sight and I am getting more enjoyment out of every jump. Plus now that the canopy I use gets PRO packed I feel better about packing.
Yes I know that this calls for beer.

SecondRound

Hello to all. After reading this forum for a few months I have stepped up and registered. I would describe myself as someone who tried skydiving, wandered away from the sport, and never quite lost the bug. My short jump history consists of 6 static line jumps made at the Spearfish SD drop zone in the fall of 1977. I still have my very ratty jump record passing me for freefall signed by Tony Frost. I also have hung onto my USPA patch. I wish I has hung onto my copy of Poynter's Parachute manual.
For various reasons I now am interested in returning to the sport which has held my attention for so long. The only bad thing is the sheer amount of change in the sport which has me confused since things like tandems and AFF were still in the future and Square chutes were for experts while us novices jumped 28' LLs and T10 7TUs. Although I do remember watching Greg Behrens doing a cutaway from a Delta chute. Its already been educational following some of the threads, and I hope I will find ways to contribute to the discourse. It feels good to be back.:)

I went through the same thing. 40 jumps on T 10 in 1980's. Now done a few jumps on the squares and alot of tandems( I completey stuffed up the second time around due to being a dickhead). Hope you have more luck than me second time around. I still have a soft spot for the t 10s (cause i could pack them etc) but boy has the gear improved since then. Welcome back !! Do not worry you will learn the neaw gear easily. It is as we say in Austrtalia a piece of piss !! (ie easy) Just different and now you can jump as a student in winds you never could on the old T 10s. How many days did we spend in those days watching the experts jump their arse off in higher winds whilst us folk on the T !0s were grounded.

Its way better now !!
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Beer time!! A license as of last night. After a mere 35 years. Thanks to all who have trained me supported me and most importantly pointed out my errors. My plan is to help others as I have been helped. Thanks to all on the forum, hopefully I will be coming to a DZ near you.