stringtheorygal

AFF1- Rode the plane down :(

You are a Good Sport, gal...

and seem to take suggestions,,,Very well...

BIG difference indeed between a C208 and a C206.... two little numbers:o but a completely different door, exit position and climb-out..

Your instructor(s) will certainly help you to get into position and to achieve an acceptable exit.... stay positive...

enjoy.

:)

EFS-

I can certainly relate to the "senses in high definition". I think that feeling of being the most alive I've ever felt is what has attracted me so strongly to jumping. It's like doing a legal drug, I guess! It's been two weeks since my tandem and I'm needing a fix :D Viewing the fear in the manner in which you describe is pretty clever. I wonder if an MRI image during a skydive (pleasant!) and an image taken while running away from a hungry bear (UNpleasant!) would essentially show the same areas of the brain "lighting up". I suspect it might- the major difference being our perspective. Fascinating stuff.

As far as the studying bit goes, if I am totally honest, I know I tend to go overboard. *However*, it is A LOT of information...much of it pertaining to saving your own life. As someone who is generally NOT an adrenaline junkie, it was important for me to be as well-versed as possible prior to going to the DZ so that I could use ground school as a review, a time to ask questions, verify my understanding of EPs and practice in the hanging harness. (To be clear, I was studying my dropzone's particular curriculum -so I was not exposing myself to potentially erroneous information that would need correcting in ground school). If I don't feel fully prepared, it won't be fun.

I'm a type-A planner. Doesn't always serve me well- indeed it may have kept me from enjoying a great AFF1 jump on Friday. But there's nothing wrong with preparedness. I personally just tend to take it to the extreme end. Not healthy or conducive to engaging in any activity- regardless of risk.

And now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in the other room kicking my fear in the balls. :ph34r:

Dont give up, I think fear is normal, the dfiference is how different people handle it :) I just did my first solo jump after 9 AFF jumps (had to repeat level 3 twice and level 4 once). I think you have same problem I had before AFF 3, you overthink it :) Trust your instructors and learn to trust yourself :) On my 3rd jump I definetly reached the peak of how scerred you could be in the plane, I thought way to much about what can go wrong (first jump where instructors let you fall on your own). I jumped anyway (not smart). I dont remember the exit and had total sensory overload for 5 seconds after the exit, when I saw the video I saw on my face that there was nobody there but I "woke up" and continued the jump. I was very very scerred to go up again, I actually almost gave up after that jump. Next try was much better and since that jump it just was easier and easier :) What helped me the most was great instructors who I trusted and slow, deep breaths on the plane ride up while visualizing the jump. The fear is still there before every jump but I know that as soon as I leave the door it will stay in the plane ;)
Next time just say fuck it, smile and just let go of the plane, it will be worth it :)

Just to ease your fears about loose leg straps, from one newbie to another: I'm also a skinny girl, and routinely jumped harnesses that were too big. I tightened everything as tight as it could go, and I always got nervous about it in the plane, even though my instructors checked it and said it was fine.

One thing about leg straps is that they do look looser when you're sitting down than when you're standing up. This is why there's a risk of the leg straps slipping down to your knees if you have a premature deployment in a sit-fly (or so I've read on the forums). However, there's basically no way you can possibly fall out of your harness if you're on your belly and stable when you pull. I did 8 jumps on a harness that was way too loose for me (in retrospect, probably not the best idea...), and it slipped around a bit in freefall, but it wasn't a problem for belly flying. If you're worried about it, just keep your hips forward and legs back, and it should be fine. :) hope that helps!

The plus side, which I am trying to recognize, is that the humiliation of backing out a jump in an aircraft full of seasoned divers did not dissuade me from speaking up. I don't know if I got a lot of respect, though. Face-palms, yes. :S

I would have congratulated you for making the decision that YOU wanted to make. So many people succumb to peer pressure and wind up getting hurt because they didn't have the guts too say "NO!" Always listen to that inner voice...it's rarely wrong.

If anybody gives you a hard time for riding the plane down,. tell them I said buzz off. There is no need for any humiliation whatsoever.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This is very comforting to hear, Scrumbles! And you're here to tell your story;) - i'd say that's a good sign! I figured the harness would probably be ok, but to a brand new student, you dont know whats right or wrong and are placing a tremendous amount of trust in others.

Thanks for making me feel much better about it all- and congrats on getting your A!! Hopefully I'll be joining you very soon.

Hi there

I also rode the plane down when I first started.

I started with static line progression and I don't know when that door open it was really unpleasant for me.

Like you the possible malfunctions just scared the hell out of me.

What helped me to get into skydiving is I did a tandem and the following weekend I did my AFF. The guys at the DZ was very supportive of me.

I got now 97 jumps and I believe you can do it. But you must do it for you and no-one else.

Good luck and blue skies

FJB-

Wonderful to hear how you pushed through! I'm excited to get over the initial tough stuff stuff- I know great things lie ahead.

With a sport that carries the risk skydiving does, I want to go in eyes wide open. Not a lot of room for error; I want to be on my game every time. If I've taken care of those things, then I can take advantage of the reasons I became interested in jumping- the sheer, unadulterated JOY of it all.

Thank you for your vote of confidence, and thanks for your story.

Update:

Went out to the DZ this morning- it was quiet and the weather was beautiful- nice, high ceiling and temperatures around the mid-80s.

I did a working tandem which, aside from clawing at the air on exit (HA!), went well. The initial "droppy" feeling from the 206 was a bit of a shock (I don't remember that from my first tandem) but all in all, I made it to the ground in one piece and remembered why I'm terribly in love with this craziness.

Going back later this week to continue on with AFF - and in the meantime will go enjoy my "high" :D

Thank you all so very much for your support and encouragement. I'm on my way (and having a great time)...

My .02 on a small part: "Worry" about your gear, but make sure it's a healthy worry. And by that I mean, worry about it enough so you are checking for problems, maintenance, routing, etc. You'll find that far, far, more problems, injuries, and deaths are caused by people not caring (worrying) about their gear than those who despite good maintenance and checking, still have a total failure no one could have seen coming.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

That all sounds pretty normal, the nightmares and weird dreams, everyone has them when they begin. The harness feeling loose that too, always good to check with the Instructor but bottom line is that it is your life and if you're not happy then don't jump.
Nothing to be embarrassed about at all. The fear is normal, fear will keep you alive and non complacent, complacency kills.
If you really want to do it you will, once you get through the door you'll most likely find that much of your fear goes. But also its not for everyone and there is no shame in that either.
Ask yourself what it is that you are afraid of, rationalise it and then once you know what it is that your fear is about give it a name and put it in the bin (trash can). Visualise doing that, it will help. Let us know how you go.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Thats great. Well done you :):)
I was a very over thinking / nervous AFF student.

I have realised that my nerves meant that I actually enjoyed it far more and got a much more sense of satisfaction that most people seem to on AFF - but you have to make it out the door.

Your legs will be jelly, your mind will be screaming "DONT DO THIS!!" - but its all about a leap of faith.

Do you have a tandem video you can post ? I like the picture on your profile !

Blue skies....

Thats great. Well done you :):)
I was a very over thinking / nervous AFF student.

I have realised that my nerves meant that I actually enjoyed it far more and got a much more sense of satisfaction that most people seem to on AFF - but you have to make it out the door.

Your legs will be jelly, your mind will be screaming "DONT DO THIS!!" - but its all about a leap of faith.

Do you have a tandem video you can post ? I like the picture on your profile !

Blue skies....

One of my dz instructors put it to me this way and it really helped. "you are thinking at 150mph. We are only falling at 120mph. Jut chill out and cut back on the caffeine drinks lol" and another one told me "this is not a thinking man's sport" when I put those two together, the next jump was a piece of cake. I still crap my pants every time the plane levels off and that door opens. But that's the fun of it. Face Your Fears and life will be amazing!

Ask yourself what it is that you are afraid of, rationalise it and then once you know what it is that your fear is about give it a name and put it in the bin (trash can).

Skyrad- I love this idea. I'll put it to use tomorrow when I hear the pilot cutting the engine back :o (had a little door fear the other day).

You are correct about the fear going away once I'm out the door. Bizarre little mental block I have to get over in order to get to the good stuff. But so worth it.

Good to know there are other "overthinkers" out there ;)

It's positively puzzling to read about these super smooth, "no big whoop" AFF students out there (of course I'm sure they see me and think damn girl, just JUMP!) :D

I'll try to upload the video and add some pics of my tandem to my profile page. I'm thinking of enlarging my profile shot and hanging it up somewhere in my house. It's a pretty special picture to me; I feel like it captures a life-changing experience (or at least marks the beginning of an addiction :o)

Thanks for your thoughts, shore :)

You know, Ryan, you may have hit on something significant there. On my "refusal" day, I kept a bottle of Diet Mtn Dew (hey, it's a southerner's caffeinated drink of choice :D) in my hand all morning before I got on the plane. Being nervous anyhow, I wonder if that didn't help the situation...

I usually stick to water but I barely got any sleep the night before (nerves, again) and tried to compensate with the caffeine. Poor decision on my part, but then again, I'm jumping out of an airplane...my decision-making seems kind of questionable these days :D:D

In all seriousness, I think I'll put away the Dew and chill out.

Great stuff, Ryan- sounds like you had some good folks working with you.

Eew yeah. I had a psychologist once tell me that I was a caffeine addict based only on the information that I drank Mountain Dew. You're going to get plenty of adrenaline just riding the plane to altitude, you don't need to open the spigot with caffeinated drinks on top of that.

Now that I'm comfortable with the whole thing, I'll allow myself some coffee prior to heading over, but I've found that it makes me queasy on the first plane ride up (This doesn't happen if I stick to water) and I don't feel significantly more "awake" until I'm in the air anyway.

I think many people try to deny the fact that they're afraid. If you don't look your fears in the eye, you won't have much control over how they manifest themselves. I've heard Buddhists talk about this sort of thing -- being "compassionately aware" and acknowledging your emotional state. Doing this prevents you from being ruled by your emotions, while being aware of them.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

We all react to fear in different ways. Some are more perceptive and alive to danger and others are more carefree.

I'd rather be on a load with people over cautious than over confident.

I think your 'bowling ball speech' post doesn't really help newbies like myself or her and the fact that it was your third post makes you a troll.

Go troll elsewhere.

Blue Skies.