Darw1n

Failed AFF 5 four times

I've failed am AFF 5 four times and my confidence is getting real low. I'm going to the wind tunnell to practice. Anyone else have difficulties with this level!
"...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been, and there you long to return..." - Leonardo da Vinci

Did you survive? Then you didn't fail. You may not have moved on to the next category/level, but you're alive so you must have done something right.

The tunnel is a great place to work on stability and spin issues. Be sure to let the tunnel folks know that you are doing AFF and the issues you are having (take your logbook with you).

Don't give up. You can do this.

...and extremely few people can give you better advice than the instructors that are training and jumping with you. We can give pointers and such but the rule is....
Before you try anything, you clear it with your instructors first....always.

Levels 4 and 5 are the ones that are most tricky for students. Here is where you are puting your turning skills to work.
You already know how to initiate a turn and you probably already learned about stopping the turn. You did it on Level 2.

Often, on Level 2, instructors inadvertently help you turn and stop turns. They don't do it on purpose but there you have it. Levels 4 and 5 you are doing it on your own with absolutely no assistance. That, for the most part, is why 4 and 5 are the ones most often repeated.

No sweat. Keep on...you'll get it. 99.99% do.

Maybe you haven't read Wendy Faulkner's logbook. It's a great read for those who may be getting discouraged.
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Don't ever think of it as failing. It's all a learning experiance.
Are you getting the jumps filmed? If so review it with your instructor and see what you can change.
Practice the jump on the ground over over and over!
When you are going up in plane, close your eyes and visualise the jump.
Just before you exit, take a few deep breaths to calm down.
When doing the jump, relax and smile, have fun! Because being tense doesnt make fly very well!

FYI This is what I did during my AFF and what the instructors told me!

I've failed am AFF 5 four times and my confidence is getting real low. I'm going to the wind tunnell to practice. Anyone else have difficulties with this level!

I had the same problem, and I repeated several AFF levels. I then spent 15mintes in the tunnel and it was well worth it, after 3 minutes in the tunnell, I was stable on my belly, a few minutes later I was doing turns.... it was great, the last 5 minutes in the tunnell I developed a pretty decent head-down.

Bottom line, a few mintes in the tunnell and the AFF will (pardon the pun) be a breeze.

It's hard to swallow when each level is expensive, but there is no such thing as a failed AFF level. It's a very foreign and un-natural skill-set that you're both learning and practicing all on the same jump. It really is a misconception that you're expected to master each freefall skill set the first, or even the second, time you practice it in the air.

Consider: When you were learning to drive, did you nail parallel parking the first time you ever tried it, or even the second? Of course not; you practiced it multiple times, with plenty of mistakes, until you learned to get it right. And you did it without massive sensory overload, fear, and risk of death.

An AFF jump is not a test, it is training. Practice each skill set as many times as it takes to learn it, then move on to the next skill set.

I'm going to the tunnell on sat then jumping Sunday morning.
"...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been, and there you long to return..." - Leonardo da Vinci

Yes I did leave me very discouraged at the time. I have since passed and did two solos so far. It was one of the best times of my life.

Yes I did leave me very discouraged at the time. I have since passed and did two solos so far. It was one of the best times of my life.

I don't know if you will now have the same experience as me but when I graduated to the Consolidation jumps I found that everything I was doing just got better and better, my technique, form and - especially - my confidence was high. I think it might have had something to do with there being no pressure while under the scrutiny of the instructors so I could just concentrate on visualising what I had to get done on every consol jump and just doing it...and it worked.

And this may be premature to say this at this time but when you do your Lvl 8 at around 5000 ft, don't worry because you've actually got more time than it actually seems. When I jumped I was free-falling for about 7 seconds to ensure stability before I pulled. (So don't rush it.)

And it was a sweet feeling indeed. (I could've cried on that drive back home.)