hub1100

greetings all

Hello all,
Trying to write a quick impromptu intro is tough. ok..
Im a 27 year member of USPA, old school 4 digit A license, oh thats on the left. So I stopped jumping and sold my gear when I had a family. It seemed like the responsible thing to do. Someone out there was jumping a burgundy and navy Racer rig, I got to keep the log book cover. Now that my kids are 'age of majority' I'm trying to break back into my all time favorite sport. 'Back then' I also was an instructor at Las Vegas Fly Away. Last month, I took two of my three kids to Vegas Indoor Skydiving (same place new owners) and Ive got the bug again.
I just passed Re-cert/ refresher class, Thank you SDC (Chicago). Well they, rightfully so, are concerned I might be to big for their gear. I calculate a wingload of 1.135 on a 260 sq ft (265lb plus 30lb gear) but also understand, not through SDC, I may be at or past their harness TSO.
End of the sad story, just ask in the thread, if I didnt explain it correctly.
SO, Hello, Aloha, Hi Mates. Im interested in chatting with a few larger members for insights on how I should safely and legally get back in the air. I do feel Im at a healthy weight and might be able to work off 10 pounds in the next year, a pound a month?, but there isnt a lot of fat on this frame. (TMI?)
I Hope most/ all of you participate in Safety Day, I tried but felt denied. Old School, Blue Skies !!
Thanks Hubs
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

Well, Hubs. WELCOME BACK!!!!

As to being a littler bigger than them little fellars... let me tell you there is an organization that I started along with Gary Anvil, myself and Hutch (RIP).

It's called "Anvil Brothers" and there's a lot of us.

You can review a partial list of the threads HERE

You can also PM maxxMADMaxx on here (he's outta Skydive Houston) to learn how to get in the Anvil Brothers Skydiving Team and since you're up around SDC way... Go find some very hyper skinny, skydiver that's either jumping or working out in-between jumps... His name is Brenster and he can tell you some "Anvil" war stories and more importantly help you with your weight. Pound a month.... sheesh. I got turds that weight four pounds.

Your wing-loading does not sound too bad, but as is the rule: I must defer to your current Instructors.

Glad you're back.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance and on a final note... Once you get your wings back, go tell them freefliers you'd like to be the base on a hybrid jump - you'll become the most wanted skydiver at the DZ since you can hang with them on their heads whilst being on your belly.

Go jump!! :D

Keith

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The good news is that at your weight, it is totally possible to get back into the air without violating a TSO limit, the bad news is that it's liable to be expensive as most of the gear is almost impossible to find used.

What you need is to look into a Harness built under TSO 23B which has no max weight limit. You then need to look into an appropriately-wingloaded larger modern reserve such as a PD-R 281 (and only the 281), Angel Fire size 246 or larger or an R-Max 248 or larger. All those have a placarded weigh in excess of 280 lbs.

I won't recommend a specific main as that's a question to discuss with the instructors helping you get recurrent. I will suggest that if you live in a hot & dry area like NV, rather than just going with the handful of very large mains out there on the market (which tend to either be student planforms or based on one), you might want to check with one of the canopy manufactuers that will upsize an existing canopy to a customer-specified size in order to get the better performance on landing. I know I was glad I had the extra flare power from my Safire II 269 when I started learning to fly it in the hot thin air in CO and NM.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Welcome back, Hub!
Funny how life gets in the way of skydiving, eh?
:D:D

I'm not one of you big guys. I'm one of those leetle fellers that Bigun tosses around the sky on a DO-Si-Do (he may remember that at Spaceland a few years ago) so I can't help you with gear.

But! I can extend a warm welcome back to the club.
Good luck to you big guy.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

welcome back to the sport hub...i myself have just started 2 more till my A but i always see big guys out at my DZ so im sure there is a rig out there that will suit you and you def came to the right place i have found so many friendly people on here and great info about gear so just keep searching the forums theres def something on here for ya:)

You guys are awesome. Thanks BIGUN, Brick and Pops.
I was hoping there were bigger jumpers that could relate and offer advice, ok pops for encouragement not size, after the past two weeks I was starting to feel confused and alone. There IS hope !!

I now realize that my safest route, to return to the air, would be my own gear. I wouldn't object to (even) packing a 300 just to get the benefit of easier/ softer landings. I know that price difference isnt in a smaller main. Especially if that safety factor got my face in the air for ... well... 55 seconds. I dont have plans to try crw at this size and my laptop backpack, through airports weighs 45 pounds. (shhhh.. ) Big boys get big gear, Im there and Im happy with that. Hybrid jumps, huh, who would have known :).

I do plan on visiting SDC and hope to bump into Brenster, (IF you see this before 4/20, Yell at me). I have other friends I will still want to visit with and watch, for now. Who knows, SDC might see me as healthy and responsible enough to allow a shot at this on their 260's. Their call, no problem.

Finally yes I could dump 3-4 lbs, but my doctor who is a small framed man, doesn't even have an issue with my weight. To lose 25 lbs, as I was told I needed by a trainer, is quite more than just a cleanse, its a major event. Everyone over 50 will raise a hand to 'I put on one pound a year since graduation and I worked for that to not be 2 per year!' Amen?

Again THANKS. -robert-

Thank you Chaw, time-ing, you posted just before me.

I havent jumped in 3 yrs but keep my gear around for when the bug bites me again. As said before, TSO23b get you past the harness weight limits. Again I have been out of the sport for a few years but I have jumped being as heavy as 375lbs out the door. I presently own a Vector custom built rig, Precision/Icarus 330 (tandem canopy) and a Strong Mighty Mak (337.5) reserve. I am not one to take no for an answer hence the "tandem" canopies that I used to jump. If you find yourself in a situation where "they" will not let you jump because of gear, maybe I could help ya out. ;)
email [email protected] since I am not on this site all that often. good luck!

"GOT LEAD?"

hehe... I remembers, lad.

You be one with the Do-Si-Do :D

That was a very enjoyable SkyFest.

I was on a couple of those jumps! B|

I thought "I" was a big guy until I ran into YOU...literally! :ph34r:

Dunno about Pops Do-Si-Do, but I remember watchin' WaltAppel's eyes bug out when I purposely flipped HIM ass over elbows, them lil' fellers are fun to toss around in the sky! >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

hehe... I remembers, lad.

You be one with the Do-Si-Do :D

That was a very enjoyable SkyFest.

I was on a couple of those jumps! B|

I thought "I" was a big guy until I ran into YOU...literally! :ph34r:

Dunno about Pops Do-Si-Do, but I remember watchin' WaltAppel's eyes bug out when I purposely flipped HIM ass over elbows, them lil' fellers are fun to toss around in the sky! >:(

What I remember about that jump was Walt looking around below us like, "Where the fuck did every one go?!?!?" My next thought was, "Ruh Roh, he's getting a little low and backsliding... :o

OK time to go... :|

traaaaaaaaccckkkkk - whooooooooosh. Bigun is OUTTA HERE!!! :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

And you... ya big fuck!!! What's with the loud and thunderous entrance and then tip-toeing out the door quietly.

Get your big Bar-B-Que eatin, shake drinking, finger-licking good, ass back out the out to the DZ.

[finger-licking good ass] sometimes I just crack meself up. :)

The thread continues;

Since March, I have made multiple visits to SDC (Chicago) AND have lost 15 pounds. Last weekend I was chatting with a couple of their S&TA's who gave me the green light. That weight loss has been very healthy and maintainable. While I do have a plan to drop a total of 10 more, this year, IM GETTING MY FEET IN THE AIR this upcomming weekend.

After 20 years of holding my USPA original license, inactive, I wonder if you can tell IM EXCITED !!
My attending Safety Day and Refresher course pays off.

My anvil friends, and all, I thank you for the encouragement to keep trying. Set goals and achieve. Old school BLUE SKYS.