Rhandolph

Should I do a second jump?

Advice sought!

Last weekend I did my static line training and did a jump the next day. One minute I think I really want to do another jump, the next I think.. not sure if I should.
My jump wasn't the best ever seen, I was nervous of getting closer to the edge of the plane door, inside I felt quite calm but my body just would not let me shift any closer, so that my exit was a bit faltering, and on landing I was slightly short of the dropzone (I could have gone for it but felt it better not to risk landing in the river boundary!).

Despite that my debriefing wasn't too bad but the instructor said 'I think you should think very deeply if you want to do another jump'

Any advice? Did you feel better getting out the plane the second time? overall it was a good experience and I've got a months window of 'turn up and jump' before I have to go through refresher training. Any advice?

Hi Rhandolph!

I'm a student with 18 jumps under my belt so far. I still get that nervous feeling in my stomach when I'm in the plane, it's completely normal! I'm definitely not as nervous as I was the first time, I thought I was going to be sick the first time :S.
But each time gets easier and easier and as you get practiced your landings will improve too.
Don't give up on the sport after just one jump, give it a go I reckon!!

Blue skies!

First, congrats on your first jump!
Second: shut up and go for another ;)

Just kidding... If you feel up to another go, just show up at your DZ and go for it! It is normal to have nerves. I still do, after 250 jumps. Just like the comment above, nothing compared to what they were with my first jumps, but I still feel it. Sometimes a little more than other jumps, depending on what I'm planning to do B|

Let us know what you do, and when you jump, tell us how it went. Relax, and have fun!!

Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

I was scared shitless during my training, I even rode the plane down once. I remembers my first AFF jump, (I did two tandems prior) I landed off, didn't flare, and I got a little bruised up from the fall. I left the DZ that night shell shocked. I was so mad at myself, I thought that I had wasted all of this money, and I was an idiot for jumping out of a plane. However, somewhere through out my hr and a half drive home I calmed myself down and I decided to go on with my AFF jumps. The fear and the jitters still stuck with me for the majority of AFF but it wore away... I wonder what would of happened if I decided to call it quits... I just know that sticking with it has been one of the best decisions in my life, and I hope to jump till its end.

I think you should give it another try. My second AFF jump (L2) was the scariest experience for me so far. I never relaxed, kept worrying, kept thinking and rethinking, just felt "off" in some way...and guess what, my jump didn't go so hot and I failed my first attempt at L2--even suffered a minor ankle sprain. It took me almost a full week to recover not just physically, but mentally as well. I wrestled with whether or not I should really be jumping out of planes... In the end, I reminded my self WHY I wanted to do this (different for every person) and that if I did quit without completing the training, I would be mad at myself and would never really know if I was capable of becoming a skydiver. So, I decided to continue and fight the fear (mine is landing)...with some much needed support from my instructors and my reluctant decision to just go for it. And you know what...I did just fine on my next jump and even the jump after that (even though I failed that one too :S)!

You've got it in you...

Do a second jump? Well I guess that's all up to you and what you want to accomplish. Guess you have to really think about things and decide if you want to do. And how about a third and after? I’m onto my 5th jump (4th in this program). I jumped a tandem years ago. I have to admit, getting out of the airplane is the worst part for me, aka scared shitless. Once I’m out, I totally commit to the jump, relax, have fun, and go with it. I started my program with 3 tandem jumps before proceeding onto the static (which I’m doing on the 12th ). I guess Snohomish does it that way to get the students orientated with the getting out and the free fall. My second jump was the worst for me. I actually started the training and was no longer on a joy ride. I had to perform during the free fall. I started with the Simulated RCP, and Alt check, another Simulated RCP, Alt check, Tracking, Alt check, wait wait wait then at 6 k the wave off sign followed the RCP. That’s a lot to do on anyone’s second tandem. On the ride up, all I could do was think about what I was going to fark-up. Once out and into a good arch and a stable free fall, I relaxed and executed my script flawlessly. The getting out on the 3rd was a little better. The training script was almost the same except this time I did LH turns and RH turns instead of the Tracking. Again getting out on my 3rd I got the Butterflies. Heck I get the Butterflies watching vids on the You-tube. And 30 minutes before I jump, I have to make 3 trips to the shitter. What’s that all about? Guess if I need to make a trip to the hospital, my shorts will be clean.

Maybe you can change training program a little and do a couple of tandems first.

Good Luck and I hope you stick with it.
Cause they know, and so do I, The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life, Tell all of your friends goodbye

Despite that my debriefing wasn't too bad but the instructor said 'I think you should think very deeply if you want to do another jump'

Based on your statement I get the feeling that the instructor has identified something that makes him/her feel that this may not be a sport for you. It isn't a sport for everyone. Do some serious soul searching and decide if this sport is a match for your personality and skill set.

IF it is a match then continue but if it isn't a sport for you then now would be a good time to persue other interests.

Either way I'm glad you made a jump and welcome to our sport.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I think you would be happy with making the decision to jump again. Most of the fear on that first jump is basically a fear of the unknown. Now that you know what to expect, a lot of that fear diminishes making the jump a lot more fun.
Additionally, a lot of us cannot distinguish between fear and excitement as they are very similar in the feelings they produce. Nobody likes to be afraid, but the excitement and thrill of it all makes me come back for more year after year.
Actually, once you really get into it you will find it very relaxing and peaceful.
Blue Skies
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Based on your statement I get the feeling that the instructor has identified something that makes him/her feel that this may not be a sport for you. It isn't a sport for everyone. Do some serious soul searching and decide if this sport is a match for your personality and skill set.

IF it is a match then continue but if it isn't a sport for you then now would be a good time to persue other interests.

Either way I'm glad you made a jump and welcome to our sport.

That quote jumped out at me as well.
Rhandolph, did your instructor tell you why he made that comment? If not, go ask him.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

only you know if its right for you.but my experience (as limited as it is 3 jumps)it gets better.besides think of the fear you have as your minds way of telling you that you want to live and that its going to do what it was trained to do to survive. sometimes fear can be a good thing as long as you dont let it take over... work thru it remember what you learned and go over the jump in your head while in the plane .imagine you doing a perfect jump and the when the door opens just do it... good luck and dont sale your self short:)