cvfd1399

FXC Calibration.

(Please do not start a FXC Bitch session)

I bought a FXC for my first rig DOM (9-80) last calibration (6-96) for 70 bucks. It needs to go back to the factory, but I cannot find where to send it back. I checked the internet, and found 3 sites that seem to be the FXC home page, but are very shadey, and looks like it was coppied off of some other page. Also the rig I bought (MT1-XX) had the military add installed(main automatic ripcord release FF-2?). Are these worth a crap, or available to civilians? So I have to get the FCX installed into my rig. From this point I realize that I need to get it factory calibrated/tested, the 2 pin puller for the end of the cable, the mounting plate for the outside of the puller cable to mount to, and a owners manuel. Is there anything else that I will need before I bring it to my rigger. I am only using this rig for about 100 jumps, then I am buying a sport rig.

(Please do not start a FXC Bitch session)

I bought a FXC for my first rig DOM (9-80) last calibration (6-96) for 70 bucks. It needs to go back to the factory, but I cannot find where to send it back. I checked the internet, and found 3 sites that seem to be the FXC home page, but are very shadey, and looks like it was coppied off of some other page. Also the rig I bought (MT1-XX) had the military add installed(main automatic ripcord release FF-2?). Are these worth a crap, or available to civilians? So I have to get the FCX installed into my rig. From this point I realize that I need to get it factory calibrated/tested, the 2 pin puller for the end of the cable, the mounting plate for the outside of the puller cable to mount to, and a owners manuel. Is there anything else that I will need before I bring it to my rigger. I am only using this rig for about 100 jumps, then I am buying a sport rig.

As much as I think FXC's get over-bashed, expect a long, long delay in getting your unit back from calibration. 3+ months is not uncommon in my experience.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Action Air will do the chamber test required at every repack, but they don't do the 2-year factory check.

They charge $36. You pay for shipping, insurance, removal, and reinstallation -- at every repack.

The FAA is explicit about installed AADs meeting manufacturer's maintenance requirements; the FXC owner's manual is explicit about requiring the chamber test at every repack. The plastic bag test is no substitute; all it tells you is that the unit will fire at impact.

Mark

You might call FXC-Corp. and talk with the good folks there and tell them the type container you plan to use the AAD with. they'll be more than glad to help you. I've been sending FXC - 12000's to FXC for the calibration for several years and turn-around is right at 6-week. Depending on whether they have to replace parts, the cost for the calibration, should be about $150.00 (+ -) They do a lot of work for the military as well as 'civilians'.

Chuck

You might call FXC-Corp. and talk with the good folks there and tell them the type container you plan to use the AAD with. they'll be more than glad to help you. I've been sending FXC - 12000's to FXC for the calibration for several years and turn-around is right at 6-week. Depending on whether they have to replace parts, the cost for the calibration, should be about $150.00 (+ -) They do a lot of work for the military as well as 'civilians'.
Chuck

Damn, who'd you sleep with to get that fast a turn around time. :)
-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Ha, ha, ha! Nope, didn't have to sleep with anyone. In fact, I just recieved one today, I sent-off a couple days shy of six weeks ago. I don't know what to say. Maybe, the fact I visit with those folks at the Symposiums, might have had something to do with it.B|

Chuck

To speed up turn-around time, you might want to partner up with your local skydiving school. Ask their rigger if you can borrow/rent one of their FXC 12000s while yours is at the factory, then promise to put yours in one of their student rigs when it returns. They may even buy it off when you when you are finished with it.

Am I the only one thinking of this? I think maintenance isn't enough, I expect that the J-mod has still to be done... very expensive...
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

In that case you made an extremly good deal for $ 70,- :)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Just to clarify: there are two different levels of maintenance required on FXC 12000 Automatic Activation Devices: every repack and every two years.

At every repack, your rigger is supposed to slip it into a test chamber to cycle it up and down several times to ensure that it fires at the correct altitude and rate of descent.

Every two years, your FXC 12000 must return to the factory for re-certification. During re-certification they dis-assemble your FXC 12000, replace any worn parts, do any updates, re-assemble and chamber test.
Since they replace critical internal components, it is almost like getting a new AAD back from the factory. For example, Pacific Skydivers has some FXC 12000s in our student rigs that were manufactured in the early 1980s. They still chamber test like new production.
Updates - like Revision J are done automatically when you return it to the FXC factory. Rev. J has been the standard for so long that I forget when they made "J" mandatory.

Just a caution, FXC Europe (France) has slightly different standards, so it will get very expensive if you foolishly send it to France for a two-year re-cert, then to California for the next re-cert.