butcherman70

Sky-crack

Here's the deal. Did my first tandem 3 wks. ago and am still in the clouds. Been doing research ever since, and plan to do AFF course ASAP. I'm 38, father of two boys, married, (happily). I'm an ER RN and see bad mojo every day, trying to reconcile risk vs. benefits as a family man but can't see not getting certified and going every chance possible. I knew when I hit the ground on the tandem I'd be back and honestly, have so far lived a pretty adventurous life, but keep having this nagging sensation that sky-diving is where I belong. Is this normal?!! I'm pretty sure I've got the same feeling a budding crack head does the first time they hit the pipe. Any similar experiences out there? Thanks.

For a while there I thought there might be something wrong, but after reading all the forums for the past 2 SOLID MONTHS! since the tandem, I've pretty much figured out it something that just happens. Unfortunately, right after the jump and planning AFF, the wife was laid off work; so we're in recovery mode and I'm stuck to dreaming. And reading EVERY F-ING thing I can get my hands as far as skydiving goes. Honestly though, it's all good. When the b.s. is done and we're back on track, it'll be that much sweeter.

My experience was pretty similar --

I'd always thought about skydiving, I dream about flying almost every night & knew the fit would be good one. Then, about two months ago my dad got sick with cancer & died soon thereafter. Realized that life's awfully short and you never know your expiration date, so do what you wanna do while you can.

Anyway, about four weeks ago I did my first AFF jump. Man, my nerves were electric. I was terrified, which felt GREAT. The experience was transcendental.

Sitting in the plane, corkscrewing upwards, ears popping, final safety checks, the open door, the sound of rushing wind, the nods to both instructors, that initial step -- the roaring wind, falling, arching hard, altitude check, checking in with instructors, practice canopy pulls, the flight the way I dreamed of, almost a full minute of freefall -- then wave off, opening canopy, canopy check, and underneath the canopy in the wind and silence the fear and jackhammering adrenalin and euphoria, and the small things on the earth below, pulling toggles pitching left and right, flaring toggles and the sharp drop, the approach flare and landing.

I'm new to the sport, but to me parachuting is like sex, and it feels like the ultimate celebration of life. More than anything I've yet done.
life is a near death experience. George Carlin

reading and research is actually what got me hooked (maybe the tandem jump) but certainly the research. They are a fix, while awaiting the real thing ;) (get the SIM if you know this is what you want)

Good news is, when you walk into your AFF FJC you are gonna already know half of what they teach you, they will just solidify that information in your mind. Then you will excel!

Good luck to you!
Blue skies
jess

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Great description Thomasurii, and great advice dreaming13. I did the tandem in the first place after two years of health b.s. followed by a rheumatoid diagnosis. Lots of meds and blah, blah, blah. It's a pain in my ass, but not gonna stop me from going on with the AFF or anything else I do.
This forum, though I don't comment much, is awesome in and of itself. A lot of info and links, and most responses in all I've read seem genuine. I'd never sat in front of a computer more than 5 min. before finding this site...not so anymore. When I do get up again I'll be sure to drop a line. Just in from work and Bertha brough surf so I'm out!

Haha, I think everyone relates. Those who get into skydiving become fanatics about it. I'll be honest, right now I only get a chance to jump once every two or three weeks, but I think about it every day. I'm on here every day. I look at the videos, read any articles I can get my hands on, critique past dives over and over in my head. I've become obsessed.

As wrong as it sounds to say that, its a good thing. You'll be better prepared, more likely to help others, and inform those who have pondered the thought of trying skydiving. You'll do things safer than not being excited and/or obsessed. The risk in the sport will become "calculated risk", risks you can avoid. Just remember, experience is the worst teacher of all, it gives the test before the lessoned is learned.
You know what's similar between Cops and Firefighters? They both wanna be firefighters.

Totally hooked, did my first tandem sept 06 and I just had to do another 2 days later. Got laid off couple weeks later and was stuck dreaming about my next jumps. Got a couple jobs but nothing to get me back in the sky till last feb, took my AFF in may and I have been going to the DZ 3-4 times a week... now what they don't tell you about the sport is all the waiting involved. Too windy, you wait, have to go to work, you wait, not enough jumpers on the DZ to fill the otter, you wait, and then you wait some more. Its such a downer when you get up in the morning and look outside and its a nice day and when you get too the DZ you can't jump. So yeah Sky-Crack with all the highss and the lows. I was unable to jump last 2 weeks so I saved up and this week as soon as I can get out I am going for as many as I can, I want to get 31 jumps for my 31st birthday by 21-07-08 (next monday) so lets hope the sky gods hear my prayers... I am trying to get to at least 50 by september. (before the season ends that is)

Reminds me of a saying my flight instructor used to use so often it was essentially a mantra. You start this with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. Name of the game is to get the bag of experience full before the bag of luck runs out.