IcarusNeededAAD

new jumper in Santa Barbara

How's it going guys? My name is Ben I'm a student in Santa Barbara. I did 2 tandems at Skydive SB a couple of months ago and have been chomping at the bit to start AFP (I'm sure everyone can relate to that feeling). Until then I’ll be obsessively watching skydiving videos on youtube and following this forum like a crack addict. If anyone’s got any advice, or if you’re a local jumper let me know.
Question: Is tunnel time a necessity for the AFP (or AFF) training or can you get by without it?
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Question: Is tunnel time a necessity for the AFP (or AFF) training or can you get by without it?

i'm a newb so don't blame me if this is wrong but tunnel time is not necessary. it would help but from what i know you do not need it.

welcome btw :)

The tunnel isn't necissary at all. However, it can help. Talk to the instructors at your new home DZ about it and see what they think. Also call the local tunnel and talk to them about it.

Remember something about reading advice on DZ.com. Even though someone may sound like they're experienced and know what they're talking about, don't trust the information. Double check everything with your instructors.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you meet a chick named Heron...tell her hello from spokane...she jumps both DZs as she is in school. We miss her up here, but also know that she loves it down there.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

The tunnel in Perris isn't too far away, and it's a lot of fun. It'll help teach you how to fly much better in a short amount of time. It's cheaper per minute of body flight than skydiving. If you want to make the drive and spend the money on it, go for it. I would guess that most of us went through AFF without any tunnel time. Talk to the staff at SB to see if it's required, but I doubt it. It could help save you money on repeat jumps if you're having any problems.

I actually did some tunnel some tunnel time in florida prior to taking my jump course and found it very beneficial....my only problem was that I was back sliding like crazy once I was in the air. It was nice to go into the tunnel and practice turns, forward motion as well as learning to finding that stable body position. If you have the time and the money I would do it - but that is what I would do.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~

How much time (and money) does it usually take to get comfortable with the tunnel? The closest tunnel I could find is down in San Diego (only one I could find in California), but from what I'm learning from my other post in Bonfire I guess driving long distances isn't unheard of... how about just paying for extra altitude during the AFF jumps? Would that help?
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

I am in Florida and I am lucky enough to have a tunnel an hour and a half awaty from me. Me and my buddies each did 7.5 minutes in the tunnel before AFF 4. Tunnel flying IS different from freeefall, but it give you cofindince and stabilityu, and more importantly it lets you be relaxed in freefall. If you are tense you will potatoe chip all the way down.....Good luck, once you figure out the arch you will be fine!

Good question...one I can't answer as I only had to repeat one AFF levels/no repeats on IADs and skipped a level or two with them. I attributed it to my tunnel time.
DPH # 2

The closest tunnel I could find is down in San Diego (only one I could find in California)

There's a tunnel at Perris. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The tunnel in Perris isn't too far away, and it's a lot of fun. It'll help teach you how to fly much better in a short amount of time. It's cheaper per minute of body flight than skydiving. If you want to make the drive and spend the money on it, go for it. I would guess that most of us went through AFF without any tunnel time. Talk to the staff at SB to see if it's required, but I doubt it. It could help save you money on repeat jumps if you're having any problems.

I would agree on the statement about tunnel time teaching you to fly faster per dollar than jumping. I did AFF and spent 25 minutes in the tunnel. The tunnel time got me able to belly fly very well for a student. I did have 3 repeats on my AFF though, for a skill the tunnel could not teach me, tracking. I had a hell of a time getting that done. Finally did with the guidance of a couple of instructers that finally saw I was not keeping my legs at the same height.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Hey Ben,
I just finished my AFF program over at Skydive Santa Barbara (Lompoc, CA). I started at Bay Area Skydiving (Byron, CA), so that's why I did AFF instead of the AFP program they typically use at Lompoc. When do you plan to start your AFP?
Although, I haven't done any tunnel work myself, I assume any "freefall" (tunnel included) time will increase your ability to control yourself in the sky. However, if you're short on cash already, and your goal is to skydive, maybe it would be best to just start AFP and see how you do... If you have some serious stability problems, then you might wanna do tunnel time. Again, I'm just a beginner, so I might be totally off here.
Gravity Waits for No One.

ben,

i am a local jumper. i started my afp in august and i did not do any tunnel time. come out to the dz and do your fjc and get in the air.. and yes it is a legal form of crack.. call me an addict without the burn marks.

blues
dont let life pass you by

I will start my AFF next weekend. I have done 6 tandems only because of the worries of the AFF. During Christmas break my daughter and I shared 30 minutes worth of time in the tunnel. I can not tell you how glad I am that we spent the money to do that. It was not required but when I told my instructor we were going, he was happy and said that it was very good training. He was right. If you have the money to do some tunnel work then I say go ahead. Maybe wait until you see what you have to work on first before you go in. Give yourself a few jumps then do the tunnel. Good luck and have fun!

ben,

i am a local jumper. i started my afp in august and i did not do any tunnel time. come out to the dz and do your fjc and get in the air.. and yes it is a legal form of crack.. call me an addict without the burn marks.

blues

Yep, I've definitely become a junkie too... I think about it all fricken day long. So, have you started yet Ben?
Gravity Waits for No One.

hey dude fellow newbie here...I considered tunnel time after level 4 went bad (first release dive) I talked to my instructors & they said " if yoou feel like it will help you do it"...I didn't & went on to complete my aff in 8 jumps total...my instructors are the best.....listen to yours..make your first jump then ask em to eveluate you...get video & learn from it....blue skies