Sopheavy

My first jump

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this board and to skydiving!
I did my first jump (tandem) on Saturday, July 23, 2005 and it was awesome! My tandem instructor was Chris Miller at SkyDive Spaceland and he was really funny and knowledgeable! The staff at SkyDive Spaceland (Rosharon, TX) are so cool! I plan on going back many many more times!

I can't wait to get in the world of skydiving and meet other skydivers and learn from them! :)
----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
If you want to see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the storm. God bless! :)

Well done! That first time you look out of the open door of a plane it's pretty mad huh? That first feeling of falling into nothing, wow! I did my first jump 3 years ago and it still feels fresh, i can still remember looking at my heart-rate monitor (i was really into my fitness at the time) and seeing 210, and that's just sitting with my legs dangling out the plane, not doing any exercise at all. The adrenalin buzz will keep you coming back for more and more and more and more...

Get your cash together and go for the solo freefall... you'll be blown away by the feeling of freedom. Enjoy every minute of it and take as much as you can from that experience back into your ordinary life. It can help sort out your priorities for sure :)

There seem to be LOADS of texans posting on this site (not many brits unfortunately for me), my advice would be to hook up with some of the people who post here from your local area, learn from them and go have fun with them. The social/human side of this sport is what makes it so good; people from all walks of life come together and do what we all love to do.

Blue Skies,
tim

First, I have to say that you all are very nice!
Thanks for welcoming me here! :)

Yes, I plan on going back again to do my 2nd tandem and then do solo and get into the STP program at my DZ.

Well actually before I jumped, the only thing I was paranoid about was the landing. So many people I know has tried to talk me out of it saying that I'm going to get hurt or something worse. How encouraging lol.....

So anyway, I wasn't scared at all but thought it was the coolest experience ever just to be free like an eagle. The only thing that got me was when we started spinning, I got a little woozy in the stomache, don't know if it had something to do with me not eating all day... but I am soooo looking forward to my next jump. Right now, just trying to save up but really hard especially being a broke college student. So for the time being, I'm putting aside a little from each paycheck every week. B|

Hello Sopheavy,
I was there doing my 2nd tandem that day too. What jump were you on? I was the only Asian guy there that jumps :) I jumped with Donny, I have recommended so many people to him. He is awesome.

Hi!
I remembered some Asian people but I wasn’t paying attention.
I didn’t get there until 5PM and didn’t jump until around 6:30 or 7PM.
I had on a brown shirt and navy shorts. I was with a group of 3 guys and 1 other girl.
How was your 2nd tandem? Are you going for the solo training?
This is pretty addicting. I can’t wait for my 2nd jump!
Now I have two addictions: skydiving and photography and both are very expensive….

When are you going again? I don’t really have the money to jump again until 2 or 3 months until I
Pay for my school tuition first. I wonder if they mind me just going over there just to hang out.

Hello sopheavy,
I loved my second tandem since I got to turn and and track. Its really cool spinning around in the air. I think you were the load after me then. I went up with 7 other tandems, then the plane shut down for 20 minutes then flew back up after me. I jumped around 5:30. Now I Am deciding on whether to take classes or not. Skydiving is expensive compared to waterski, scuba which are the other ones I want to learn. I tell you though, doing the 2 tandems really makes you want to go up more even though everythime I go up, I get nervous as heck. IS photography as expensive as skydiving?

No...photography is not as expensive as skydiving...I was kinda exaggerating....
well it all depends though...lets just say if I take pictures every week for one month, including film, processing, etc, is close to $500 a month but i've cut down a lot but i've spent more than that before to in a month. i've been so tempted to go digital but can't afford the one i want which is close to 3K. Well, i guess it all depends but skydiving is still more expensive because I don't make money off of jumping. At least with photography I make some money or get reinbursed for some of my expenses. i'm so ready to go for my 2nd jump though.

by the way, i was on load 20.

Sophy, I remember you! Aron and I were there for our 2nd. Today is the STP course.... cant wait... I jumped with HOOP on the 2nd. What a wealth of information!! I was sitting behind tvo7,.,, I watched you fall out of the plain!! Hope to see both of you at the DZ.
Blue!

Sophy, I remember you! Aron and I were there for our 2nd. Today is the STP course.... cant wait... I jumped with HOOP on the 2nd. What a wealth of information!! I was sitting behind tvo7,.,, I watched you fall out of the plain!! Hope to see both of you at the DZ.
Blue!

Reall you remember me? Dang...I was so excited I wasn't paying attention to anyone. I'm the Asian chick with the camera. this is so cool! i would love to meet you, tvo7 and everyone here. i really like my landing because it was smooth but i guess it doesn't really count since it's a tandem and the instructor was behind me. lol.

Hey ditto and sopheavy,
JUmp 20, I think I was jump 19 or 20 also. I just know that after my jump, the plane was in shutdown. Hey Ditto, I was last off the plane with Donny. Hoop and the student was to my left and jumped just before me. I think Hoops said that was the tandem 2 the student was doing. Was that you? I think I was the only Asian guy I saw that jumped on my load.
Sopheavy: Photography makes money, you could also make money in skydiving with packing and becoming a tandem instructor :)

Hey ditto and sopheavy,

Sopheavy: Photography makes money, you could also make money in skydiving with packing and becoming a tandem instructor :)

You can't be Jump 20 because I was in Jump 20 and all my friends were on the plane and another lady.
We all did tandems.

I would like to work at the DZ but if I even mentioned that....my parents will kill me. I'm long overdue to finish college and it's taking me forever.

Sopheavy:I think I remember you now. I was waitng in the air conditioned waiting room when you and your group came into sign in. I was watching TV. You were after me then. I jumped, then the plane landed and turned off and was waiting on the ground when I left the dropzone. You came with some white guys right? I was on jump 19 I recall, cuz all the tandems were on odd number jumps until 20.

Sopheavy:I think I remember you now. I was waitng in the air conditioned waiting room when you and your group came into sign in. I was watching TV. You were after me then. I jumped, then the plane landed and turned off and was waiting on the ground when I left the dropzone. You came with some white guys right? I was on jump 19 I recall, cuz all the tandems were on odd number jumps until 20.

There were two white dudes in my group that were already there waiting for us but I came in with a latina chic and a black dude. one of the guy in my group is jumping again this weekend. i'm not jumping anytime soon because of the money issue but i'm gonna try to hang out there as much as i can so i can make friends. :)

Just so all of you guys know, you're always welcome to come hang out... even if you can't afford to jump that day. You can learn a ton just by talking to the right people, watching instructors teach, and even watching how we handle students on their landings. It's even better if you stick around until the jumping's done and have a beer then chat with people after they're done jumping for the day.

Glad you all had a good time out here. Hope to see you soon.
Oh, hello again!

Just so all of you guys know, you're always welcome to come hang out... even if you can't afford to jump that day. You can learn a ton just by talking to the right people, watching instructors teach, and even watching how we handle students on their landings. It's even better if you stick around until the jumping's done and have a beer then chat with people after they're done jumping for the day.

Glad you all had a good time out here. Hope to see you soon.

for reals........?
Trent, that's so cool of you to post and let us know.I wasn't sure what you all were gonna think about it for people just to hang out there without jumping...don't blame me if you get tired of me lol....I ask a lot of questions.I'm pretty sure I'll see you there often since you work there...what kind of food ya;ll like other than beer? you like springrolls?

Beer is always appreciated after the day is finished, and I'm sure the spring rolls would disappear too.

See you when you get here!

well...I might bring juice or some soft drinks instead of beer. i don't think my Sunday school students would be happy if their teacher brough booze. lol. :D

...what kind of food ya;ll like other than beer?

...are you serious? Other than beer? *can't think of any*

;)..just jokin

Glad to see you all enjoyed your jumps! B|

Skydiving is not cheap to get into (as you were all mentioning), but once you get your "A license", the amount you spend per jump drops dramatically. Just like most sports/hobby's..you will have your initial costs; training, gear, beer :ph34r:, etc.... But, if it is something you love, you will find ways to come up with the money. It's amazing the type of things you begin to realize you can live without in order to just do one more jump :S:D.

I wish you all the best of luck with your newest addiction! And also, welcome to Spaceland! :)
See ya around...

Amanda