cmyoung4

First S/L Jump

After waiting what seems like forever, I finally made my first jump this weekend! I started the FJ course at around 10:00, but had to wait until around 6:00 to finally jump :S. After we finished the class, the weather was not wanting to cooperate, so we waited. And waited.

I've been looking forward to this for so long, that I never really felt too nervous/scared - until the instructor opened the door and told me to get out on the strut. I never imagined how much different the world would look dangling from an airplane strut at 3000ft!!! When my chute opened I had a line twist and a collapsed end cell which really got my heart pumping, but after clearing those I had a great ride and finished off with a not-too-rough landing.

This day was kind of a family affair too. My sister made her first tandem, and my Pap (age 76!) made his first S/L jump with me.

Kudos to the staff at my DZ - Green Co, KY! They are very safety conscious, and took plenty of time to explain/answer questions/demonstrate/answer more questions, etc. I'm definitely hooked, and I plan to go back this weekend to add a few more jumps.

Chris

Welcome and Congrats,

I did 3 tandems before my first static line...I have 5 jumps in so far and the door still freaks me out...Probably always will, but just think to yourself what is on the other side of the door...

I am also new to the sport so not the one to give advice but if you do continue like you plan find an insturctor who you can click with...I found out this makes all the difference in the world...They are able to charm you into getting out if your freaked and also will ask you if your ready for the next step and not push you into something you don't think your ready for...at least it's that way with my instructor...

Good luck and keep Jumping
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

Congrats on your first jump. I also started on S/L and the day of my first jump course I didn't even get to jump. I had to wait til the next weekend because of the wheather. S/L is a good way to learn. I finished my training with IAD, which I think is another good way to learn. It gives you the skill of parrachuting and landing before you start freefalling. Hope you enjoy the sport as much as I do.
***Free bird Forever

I am also new to the sport so not the one to give advice but if you do continue like you plan find an insturctor who you can click with...I found out this makes all the difference in the world...They are able to charm you into getting out if your freaked and also will ask you if your ready for the next step and not push you into something you don't think your ready for...at least it's that way with my instructor...

I would encourage you to do exactly the opposite, I picked up some good ideas from each instructor I had that I would have missed out on had I stayed with the same one the whole time. On a side note though I know what you mean about the door, I still don't like to sit "student" in our 182.

Greenie in training.

Like I said I am not one to give advice being new to the sport...And everyone is different and something different will work for them...

For me it is sticking with the same instructor for now...I had other instructors tell me that the day I was up in the plane and decided against jumping they would have taken me down...Luckly my instructor knew it was just my fear of the door talking...I had been practicing the exit on ground for the last 20 minutes or so...He new me well enough to get me out the door...He also Knew that if I had gone back down that would have been it that I wouldn't have gone back up...

I do work with other instructors on the ground and ask there advise but as far as a jump master I will take my instructor for know because he knows how to get me out the door...

Will this hanging from the strut ever end?????
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation