rokitmom

My family swears I'll kill myself if I continue...

I've know for ages that I want to skydive as a sport. Made my first jump this weekend (what a rush!!) and am signing up for ground school to take this thing to the limits. But my folks and family are freaking! I figure I'm safer jumping from an airplane with a properly packed chute than I am driving down Hwy 95 to work. What do you think?
Can't imagine that the percentage of fatalities is any greater for skydiving than any other sport.

I can completely sympathize. My family is almost 100% against me jumping, all accept for my dad. So i researched the stats on deaths and injuries...and yes it is dangerous and people die, but there are many things you can do to keep it as safe as possible. I just promised them I would be safe and thats all I think you can do. IMO they should be happy you found something you love so much!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A life without a cause
is a life without an effect

My family is massively proud of me skydiving, it helps a lot! I don't believe skydiving is really all that 'dangerous'. Look after yourself and your gear, dont be stupid and you've got a good chance of still jumping for your 90th birthday ;)

Congrats on your first jump, I did mine yesterday and my family had there concerns too but came round once they saw my face and buzz that it gave me.

A tandem skydive will convert anyone, and yes I believe the statistics show that you are more likely to have an accident on the way to the DZ!!

-----------------------------------------------
"What goes up, must come down, but in style"

I had some of the same problems.. do a few jumps, they will see that you survive them. If they dare, you may take them with you to the dropzone one day, maybe they don't have a clue what skydiving is about.

Good luck on your skydiving career, you'll love it! B|

welcome to the forums and congrats for your jump.

continue and show them this is what makes you happy.

and yeah, fatalities are higher in skydiving than in :
-chess
-volleyball
-knitting
-extreme ironing
-remote control car races
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Welcome to the site! I read your profile,it seems like your situation is reversed compared to others that post. Not Mom and Dad worrying about their child-but the kiddies and Hubby worrying about Mommy-Am I right? With your occupation, I'm sure you are aware of the development of the sport,equipment safety and design,etc..My wife has supported all my high risk activities and feels skydiving is quite safe because you,the jumper,have so much to do with the success and safety of the jump. You'll never convince the WHUFFO-period. Last night I watched a show on auto safety. Still,even today with all the high tech safety advances 45,000 people die each year in this country and 31,000,000 suffer injuries just from CARS!! I wish you the best of luck, unfortunately once the skies call-your life will never be the same!
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Sorry for the "novel";), but I feel your pain.

Like you, I’ve had a very active lifestyle, built around sports and have always, always been an adrenaline junkie. HOWEVER; since I took up this sport there has been a dividing line in support/non-support. I’ve conceded to the fact that my mother hates that I do it, and she’ll never, ever accept it (some of my friends hate it as well). In fact, she tried to weigh it with, “how would you feel if your daughter…”…well mom, guess what??? I chunked her out of an airplane too!! :D:o:D
I couldn’t handle having a “Wuffo” living under the same roof. Needless to say, mom wasn’t happy.

Seriously, I’ve tried to explain that this sport is “as safe as you make it.” I raced dirt bikes all my life and had many injuries/broken bones. I’ve even had some pretty bad injuries/close calls waterskiing, yet she still considers those type sports less risky. It’s an uphill battle. Most people won’t get it and all your efforts to explain the “risks,” regardless of justification, will be in vain.

Just have fun and stay alive!!;)B|

found it - thanks! interesting database. Looks like the majority of the fatalities are folks that have a good number of jumps behind them....and I mean in the hundreds plus. guess my next move is to get completely up to speed on the safety issues.

You're right - a tandem jump for my family (for at LEAST my husband) may work wonders - thanks!

Hey Argon -
yep - you're right...kids and hubby are freaking. Won't even tell you what the parents are doing!! But I'm with you - I figure that the safety aspect is about 95% in my own hands, and I can deal with that. Have already thought about some safety equipment designs (it's the engineer in me - can't help it), but betcha there are already some pretty good pieces of equipment out there.

Cool website, and neat forum. Think I'm gonna like this whole thing. appreciate all the replies -gracias.

I would say skydiving is generally safer than alot of everyday activities. My mother thinks that i'm crazy I tried getting her to go to our DZ to watch us and see that is is not as bad as she thinks it is. But she would not do it. The other day she called me and she was at the dropzone watching other people jump for 3hrs. She now says she will go with me one day. Try and get them to go watch when you are not jumping it's less stressful for parents to watch when their son/dtr is not up there.

Welcome to the forum. I think we have the TV to thank for a lot of the worries of skydiving. If you watch Real TV there is always someone spinning out of control or has a malfunction. The media says they were within seconds of sure death if they didn’t react quickly. Which in prospective, it is true. We could use that analogy every time we come to a stop light. He was just seconds away from crashing, but then he applied his brakes and came to a safe stop. The media loves to over dramatize things. Is there risk, of course and you be a fool to say there is none. Can you be safe and lessen the risk, of course.
Welcome to the sport and enjoy life.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

Thanks SlyFox -
I think I may already be making some headway here. I told my husband that I want to go jump again this weekend. He said 'maybe one day I'll go with you'. YES!! I guess my non-stop chatter about the thrill, etc has gotten him intrigued. Now, if only my mom were so inclined...

Do any of you find yourselves obsessing about jumping? I swear it was actually interfering with my work today...I was daydreaming, and once I closed my eyes and could actually feel the fall all over again. Scary...but I love it!! Guess I better get a second job to finance the new habit.

Do any of you find yourselves obsessing about jumping?

Probably just about every skydiver will answer yes to that one. That's how we end up on a skydiving internet site...we just can't get enough when we're away from the dz!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Getting them to go is the hardest step. I took my sister to watch and after seeing all the smiling faces coming off the DZ, she is wanting to jump. I'm hoping that she'll be able to do a tandem at the end of June. My daughter has already ask for a day off so she could do it in October, after she turns 18.

Do you find yourself obsessing about jumping? I would be willing to say most jumpers do. I know I work outside and on a beautiful day, I stare at the sky wishing I was up there instead of on the ground. When I see scattered clouds I think how pretty they would be from above. Tomorrows a jump day :)

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

.... you may tell your family that they are worrying unnecessarily... and That's not good for them....;)
Modern techniques curriculum, and equipment have done a great great deal toward mitigating many of the risks from years and years ago....which may have led,,, years ago,,,,, to the general publics misperception of Skydiving as well as their misperception of those who engage in it....
It IS a "serious" sport.......
.if you're looking for
"serious" FUN!!!!!!!!!!!.....;).
"skydive safely skydive often, skydive with friends"
" I remember when Sex was Safe,, and Skydiving was dangerous !!!! now it's pretty much the other way around !!! " B| :) welcome to the SKY!!!!!!! o[:-) jimmy..
........P S i just Love your username of rokitmom......PERFECT!!!!! considering your tandem was made at Skydive Space Center, Titusville.... a fine fine FINE place ... ( please tell Patty @ manifest that jimmy from New York says Hi..)...:ph34r:B|

What do I think? I think that you're safer with a packed parachute than driving down the highway.

Please do a search on this :P
It has been argued about COUNTLESS times and any way it boils down its just not true ;)

Welcome to the skies and the forums!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks Jimmy - love your logic! Will tell the good folks at Skydive Space Center that you send greetings. Awful far from the Sunshine State, aren't you? Find myself that much more happy that I'm in Fla because it'll give me more clear, sunny jump days!

Happy jumping-

A whuffo is someone who's never jumped:

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/resources/handbook/gloss2.shtml#W

The attached implication is that a whuffo is someone who just doesn't "get it" why someone would jump.

And while I'm still new to this forum, I'm still not sure if the following are still whuffo's:

1) One jump tandems, never to jump again.
2) Me with my 11 static line jumps from 400m.