imajacka55

Mis-stiched leg strap problem?

Had a question for you riggers.
I bought a rig on last friday from square 1 and jumped it all weekend on sunday night when I got home I noticed that one of the leg straps was stiched wrong.
The rig was in for a reserve repack and inspection before it was to be sold to me and got all high marks from the rigger.
One of the straps was stiched so it could slip through the elastic band and could go through the buckle a little easier. At first it looked as if the strap was just twisted but it is not.
Should this be fixed by them or was it my fault for not looking at it close enough and realizing it when I bought it and should pay to fix it? If you found this on a rig would you fix it? Or is this something that could be missed and should have been fixed then?
Just wondering how I should go about this.
Thanks for the info

Steve,

Still a little problem understanding what the issue is without seeing it.

If it is stitched so it doesn't match the other one it could have been sent from the factory like that, or the previous owner could have made a change for some reason. If it made it through the "Adventure Sports Loft" rigorous inspection I am sure it's allright. In any even here is what you should do:

1st contact our Square 1 DZ store where you bought it. Our used gear policy allows for a 10 day return guarantee. Probably what you should have done before posting here. The number is (909)657-3858

2nd have it re-inspected buy your rigger if you still feel uncomfortable. I'm sure they'd be willing to do it for no charge.

3rd If you still don't have an answer you like contact me, or see me at the Perris DZ this weekend. I'd be glad to help.

My info: (909)657-8260work (909)852-8422 cell.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It sounds like a cosmetic problem more than anything else. If I'm reading your description correctly, it sounds like the fold is in the wrong direction. I wouldn't sweat the problem, and you probably shouldn't think your life was in danger.

My guess the rig either came from the manufacturer that way (if new) or was modified at some point if it is a used rig. It shouldn't be a big deal

You said you bought the rig from Square One. They have a great reputation and will probably be happy to examine the rig and make whatever repairs are necessary to make it safe. Give them a chance to make it right, and heck, Diablopilot made a fine offer to assist.

Oh yeah, if they do take care of you, please let us know. Good news about good service is always appreciated.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Senior Parachute Rigger
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

>1st contact our Square 1 DZ store where you bought it. Probably what you should have done before posting here. The number is (909)657-2858

JP I did not want to make a big deal out of it if it was not that big of a problem. I asked here first because did not know and was just looking for advice. I am not putting down square one or the rigger just wondering. I am headed down there tomorrow so I will ask square one about it then. If you will be there tomorrow I will show you. ;) Thanks for your input
-

Steve,

Still a little problem understanding what the issue is without seeing it.

If it is stitched so it doesn't match the other one it could have been sent from the factory like that, or the previous owner could have made a change for some reason. If it made it through the "Adventure Sports Loft" rigorous inspection I am sure it's allright. In any even here is what you should do:

1st contact our Square 1 DZ store where you bought it. Our used gear policy allows for a 10 day return guarantee. Probably what you should have done before posting here. The number is (909)657-2858

2nd have it re-inspected buy your rigger if you still feel uncomfortable. I'm sure they'd be willing to do it for no charge.

3rd If you still don't have an answer you like contact me, or see me at the Perris DZ this weekend. I'd be glad to help.

My info: (909)657-8260work (909)852-8422 cell.

It looks like one of the turnbacks is upside down. It's not right get it fixed, it'll take 10 mins to unpick and 2 mins to restitch.

Mick.

If you will be there tomorrow I will show you. Thanks for your input

I won't untill after 5pm, but next time you see a guy it a bright orange Mirage out there, lets go make a jump! I always like meeting new people.....

:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It looks like one of the turnbacks is upside down. It's not right get it fixed, it'll take 10 mins to unpick and 2 mins to restitch.

Mick.

Mick is right. the fold back is to keep the lag strap from passing through the adapter. Get it changed before jumping it again. Dom can handle it for you.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Agree with Mick and Sparky. Your right. One of these is wrong. It might have come from the factory or the legstrap might have been shortened or restiched at some time. While you weren't in immanent (sp?) danger, it is suppose to be in the direction that catches on the front of the friction adapter. GOOD CATCH!B| It should be fixed, as Mick said it won't take long. And someone should do it for nothing since they missed it too!. I couldn't sort out who was local where. If the rigger that inspected isn't local it's probably not worth sending anywhere to have done for free. Just have someone do it.

Before next jump? Yeah it should be. But I might make an informed decision to go ahead if it was a hot load.;) Just kidding, kind of! It so easy to fix it should be done before you jump it again.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If you had brought that back while I worked in the Square one loft (or later when it became Adventure Sports Loft) my response would have been: "Oops! Just leave it with me for a half hour while I resew that. No charge."

Yes, every once and a while mistakes like that sneak out of factories. Unlikely to kill you, but not wise to leave unfixed.

JP I did not want to make a big deal out of it if it was not that big of a problem. I asked here first because did not know and was just looking for advice. I am not putting down square one or the rigger just wondering. I am headed down there tomorrow so I will ask square one about it then. If you will be there tomorrow I will show you. Thanks for your input

In my opinion, you don't make a big deal over a concern when you descretely contact the company who sold it to you to sort it out.

When you post the company name here, you give the impression that they have somehow dis-serviced you.

It is a long hard road to build a good reputation in this sport. Good companies like Square 1 go the extra mile to ensure customer saticfaction.

JP. Nice follow up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!