Croc

New guy

I just got my A last fall and I'm eagerly looking forward to jumping this season. I have a goal of making 100 jumps in 2004. I jump at Jerry's Flying Circus in Franklin, Indiana. Great place! Very friendly to rookies. I'm 52, and the macho vibes at "the other place" turned me off, probably because thirty years ago I used to be like that! Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, and that I've really enjoyed reading these forums.
I do have a question. Anyone out there had Lasik eye surgery? How did it go?
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Welcome!

I know quite a few posters here have had LASIK and are very happy with it, but I had PRK several years ago to correct some Myopia, and alot of Astigmatism that was caused by a significant head trauma (I know some people are saying "that explains alot"). I had very good results, but have lost some ground and am considering having a touch-up done.

You may want to investigate the choices...

The DoD will not authorize any procedure other than PRK for any jump qualified position in the military due to concerns about the integrity of the "Flap" part of the LASIK procedure. They have concerns that the flap may become dislodged if protective eyewear is lost during egress or descent, and there is medical evidence that the flap can be dislodged for quite awhile after the procedure. I understand that the surgeon can "pry" loose the original flap incision if you need a touch up later if results were a little conservative in the first procedure.

Knowledge is a good thing...

Good Luck,

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

Thanks for the info. I'll ask the surgeon about the flap part when I see him/her in a couple of weeks. I have not met anyone who has had PRK but I know several jumpers who have had Lasik.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

LASIK and PRK shape the front of the eye in the same fashion. It is the preliminary step that is different.

PRK removes the covering skin with the laser before reshaping the eye, then the covering skin must grow back. It takes a couple days for that to occurr and is not as comfortable as LASIK. Once it grows back, it is thought to be less susceptible to damage than LASIK.

With LASIK, a knife or laser is used to cut a flap on the front of the eye which is folded back. The same laser shaping procedure as that used for PRK is then performed on the eye. Once complete, the flap is folded back into place on the front of the eye. The concern is that the flap can be dislodged for many months after the procedure, so care must be taken to avoid injury. An extreme view held by some is that the flap never completely heals...

Some people, who do not have sufficient thickness on the front of the lens to allow for cutting the flap and reshaping, have to use PRK.

I had the PRK and loved it. I've never talked to anyone who had LASIK that didn't also love their procedure. Good luck with whatever you decide, and good jumping.

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

Congrats on the A, I wear the big goggles over my glasses when I jump but I got a pair of prescription goggles from SportRx over the winter but I haven't had an opportunity to jump them yet. Again, welcome to the sport.

Big Ed

Be very careful with prescription goggles! I had a pair that changed my depth perception. I wore them every time that I worked out so that I could get used to them before I jumped with them. When I did, I flared high, but it sure didn't look high to me! I took them right back. (I got them at Lenscrafters and they have a no-hassle 30 day guarantee.

Anyone out there had Lasik eye surgery? How did it go?

Yep, I had Lasik 7 years ago. Outstanding! I couldn't see the big "E" on the eye chart for years, due to nearsighted and stigmatism. Still 20/20 in the left eye and 20/25 with a slight stigmatism in my right eye. I'd pay for it again. Make sure you are comfortable with your physician, ask around locally, and that you are a good medical candidate for the procedure.

But what ever they say - you can ALWAYS reopen the flap. It never completely heals. Meaning - wear safety goggles when in doubt. Believe me, I know.

***But what ever they say - you can ALWAYS reopen the flap. It never completely heals. Meaning - wear safety goggles when in doubt. Believe me, I know.

Guess that's why DoD still insists on PRK. I'm glad I had PRK, but I've never heard anybody complain about LASIK.

Russ

Could you give me more details about your flap opening up? I saw the surgeon today and she assured me that even a 120mph wind (without goggles) could not dislodge the flap. Under what circumstances did yours open? Thanks.

hey -- Congratulations!!

You should come jump @ Skydive Wayne County. If you're worried about fitting in, Wednesday nights more people around your age come out to jump. I would call before you head out just to make sure we're jumping.... *888-234-JUMP*

Blue Skies

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

"HI!"
Welcome to DZ.com isn't it great all the feedbackB|.
I've been to SWC a couple off times in my travels and they are very very relaxed and friendly, no macho bullcrap that I ever saw, give'em a go!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868