katieangel

Ted Mayfield and Elevator

Hey - first time in. I no longer jump, did that back in the 70's at the Sheriden DZ - finished with about 500 jumps. Elevator was our pilot - loved him dearly and sorry to hear he is gone. Jump with alot of characters there-pretty crazy in the old days. Jump with the french man and so sorry he has left us too. Does any one have any clue on the where abouts of Jack DeChristopher? I was married to him in my jumping days - just wanted to say hi and owe a few amends. Now in Colorado - no jumping but into moto-cross racing and off road dune buggies - still have it in my 40's - if anyone reads this and remembers me or the those days let me know. Ted called me mollasses because I was so slow to suit up. Thanks - Melinda Wolfe DeChristopher Peters

Lotsa newbies you'll find here mostly... but there are numerous old-timers that check in and know people who know people... try the General Discussions.. Talk Back... threads fade fast though
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Welcome to the boards. Sorry cant help you out with any of the jumpers from there. I stopped in at Sheridan back in the early eighties and it was a different kind of vibe than I was used to in FL. I ended up living in Oregon till 1999 when I moved to Seattle. I went out to the DZ here in Snohomish at the beginning of last year and in Mid March made my first jump in 22 years. I am older and wiser now and the gear is SOOOO much better now than it was back when.. Since then I have made about 200 jumps and am diggin the hell out of my second childhood.

Get your 40 sumpthin butt out to the closest DZ and get back in the air.. you are in Colorado and there are some DZ there. You will love it.

Thanks for the reply - I did find a jumper that I used to jump with - Mike Michigan, so neat to find someone from the past and catch up with. I do not think I will jump right now, found a new sport - moto-cross - was racing when I was 40 - 6 years ago and was 3rd in the state - a rush. I still ride but just for the fun of it. It is a very physical sport and does take its toll - go in tuesday for shoulder surgery to repair some torn cartlidge - the doc said I will ride again by May. Neat to hear you are back at it, and yes, the sport sure has changed. Never say never - I may jump again but right now my weekends are for riding. Thanks - and blue skies.....

Speakin' of us older ones, tell you a quick story. I First Jumped when I was 43. Found myself at a dropzone on a Saturday morning 3 months after a Very messy breakup. Found it's difficult to be thinkin' 'bout divorce when jump master hollers DOOR. Been jumping plenty since, 200+ in the last three years, and have found, at least for me, that skydiving is much safer, and cheaper, than relationships...Clear, Blue Ones;)

The Sky is NOT the Limit, the Dirt Is!!

Hey Melinda! Welcome to the Forums! Now this is a switch- I was heavily into MX when I was younger, raced local MX and crosscountry races out in Nebraska for about 9 years. Even raced up Pike's Peak on New Year's Day 7 times. I never made a skydive until I was 45 years old. Now I jump whenever I can, just putt around on one of my old trail bikes (Yamaha TT500) once in a great while. I have two bad shoulders from dirt bikin'. Will have to get the surgery on both of them in the next few years. Ride safe and don't do any Travis Pastranos* unless you are wearing your rig...B|
BSSL, Bill
* Check out his video on skydiving movies.com where he rides his Suzuki off the cliff into the Grand Canyon...:o

Just burning a hole in the sky.....