hawkflight

New to skydiving looking for advise

Hi I'm new to sky diving just did my first tandem jump this past weekend and have already signed up for AFF training to start next weekend ...should I invest in any equipment i.e jumpsuit altimeter etc.
now or shouold I wait....I know already i plan to jump alot

"Any fool can learn for his own mistakes, a wise man learns from anothers." Mark Twain

Go ahead and start looking for gear, getting recommendations, etc., but I wouldn't buy anything more expensive than gloves or goggles for now. At least not until after your first AFF jump.

Then again, if you're planning on going through student status really quickly, it can't hurt to order something that might take a while to get to you(for example, a jumpsuit). But I definitely wouldn't try to buy a rig before starting up officially. You'll want to see what size canopy you need, etc. I'm sure a million people will disagree with me, though. :P

Welcome to the sport and the forums!

Blue Skies,
Kelly

Congrats on your tandem:)Glad you are going to stay with it.
You could go ahead and get an altimeter and a helmet. I would maybe wait on the suit just a little bit until you get to ff to see what your fall rate is like. You may want to order your suit accordingly. As always it is really best to ask your instructors.
I started with an altimeter, goggles, gloves and when I came off radio I bought a cheap protec helmet. I purchased a suit as I got close to coming off student.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the good advice.....boy folks who skydive
sure are good people from my dropzone to this forum........Why have I been wasting my life on the ground.......

"Any fool can learn for his own mistakes, a wise man learns from anothers." Mark Twain

Hawk, after my first AFF jump I bought a helmet and am glad I did. My DZ lets me wear a full face helmet, I can hear the radio just fine, but I had to show them I was somewhat safe flying a canopy. I'd have to agree with the other folks, don't buy a canopy, think about something like a good pair of gloves (it get cold at altitude), some goggles, a jumpsuit probably wouldn't be bad, either. Good luck and welcome.

I'd say use the dz's equipment as long as they will let you. It's cheeper and their equipment will give you and Idea of what you like and don't like. stuff feels different at 120mph than it does on the ground
welcome aboard

Congrads on your tandem and good luck with your AFF. I agree with everybody else. Get a pair of goggles which is about 12 bucks and a helmet. The price depends on what you get. You can go ahead and get an Alt. but the face is going to be alot smaller and you shouldn't wear it till you have very good altitude awareness. You might want to wait till you decide what your jumpsuit is going to look like so you can somewhat match. Good luck and keep us posted on your success in the AFF program. Before you know it you will have 100 jumps.

Welcome to the wonderful (and expensive) world of skydiving!

I won't be one to tell you what to do. I will say, however, that my girfriend and I waited until we were off student status before we started buying things. Our purchases were mainly based on the "icky" factor, meaning that it was the middle of summer and we didn't want to keep wearing the sweaty remains of other students' jumps, so we bought our own helmets, goggles and altimeters.

We buy what we can when we can. It's all about what you can deal with and for how long...oh, and it's also about funding levels. B|

Enjoy your new addiction. :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Unless you feel you can afford it and you really think you need it, I'd wait on getting any gear. Your AFF course is going to cost you enough. Plus, you'll start paying attention to others' gear and forming a better idea of what you want.
I don't know about where you jump, but my coach didn't want me jumping my new full-face helmet until I had my A license--he said that he wanted to be able to read my facial expressions better.

Addie

The only thing I have purchased is an Altimaster Neptune. Yes I am on student status as well. I use it as a visual altimeter and logbook. If you want to or have a need to buy something...this is a good thing to buy.

Ask your instructor before you buy one.

Welcome to the sport and the forums!!

Be Safe!!