xavenger

You've heard it all before - but what the hell ..

What a great week last week was!

With great thanks to an unusual spurt of fantastic weather here in the UK, the North West Parachute centre in Cumbria and most of all my two absolutely amazing instructors Ian Chick and Kieron Hayes .. I "completed" my AFF last week! Well, ok .. just 4 more consol jumps to do this weekend and I'm there.

I did AFF levels 1, 2, 3 - 8 years ago but due to financial and time constraints from going self employed at that time (and to be honest, I lost a bit of "bottle") I was unable to finish the course.

There hasn't been a week since where I haven't thought about skydiving. Last week, I "returned" to the sport on level 1 and have had one of the most satisfying and fulfilling weeks, without question of my entire life.

Literally, on every single jump up to level 7 I was scared (yes, scared) on the plane and whilst whenever I got to the door "concentration" blotted out my fear, I have to admit that for most of the week I had serious apprehension about leaving the aircraft. The 15 or 20 minutes to altitude on each jump was painful for me.

It wasn't so much the fear of the drop, just a fear of being overwhelmed by the experience and I suppose, in retrospect .. a fear of not being in control. Just a few days later it now seems difficult to believe that I was quite so nervous about it all.

After a nasty spin on level 6 (bloody back loops!), I nearly packed it in. I convinced myself there was absolutely no need to scare myself like this, that it was stupid and went to bed that night thoroughly in a muddle. I wasn't thinking straight.

However, I awoke the next morning more resolute of mind and decided I would get through this, that I would for finish what have started, that it would be worth it - and by god I am glad I did. Sleeping on it, relaxing somehow helped me make sense of it all.

At that point something changed, on level 7 although I was still tense going to altitude, I knew I could do it. What's more it all just some how seemed easier, more natural and my field of vision had improved 100 times. This time it wasn't a nervous rush of adrenaline .. but it was flying. Really flying! Wooo Wooo!!

Each jump from then, including the hop and pop just got better. My fear has turned to "excitement", instead of dreading the move to the door .. I relish the exit. It is like something has switched inside my head. I feel as though I am a different person to that I was 10 day ago and that I am honoured to be able experience and appreciate something as beautiful as freefall.

The highs and lows of getting through AFF have changed me. I have never felt such a sense of achievement. But, these feelings pale when I consider the other main achievement of the week - and that was to meet such a great bunch of people. I think I have made more friends in the past 10 days, than I have in the past 10 years.

Skydiving, when the apprehension disappears and when clarity of mind kicks in is truly, truly amazing. It's beautiful. What's more, all the people I have interacted with through this sport to date have been great.

I realise, that many of you will have all had first hand experience of this, been through this before, got the t-shirts and read the books so this post is probably nothing more but a load of cliches, but there we go! I am sorry to bore you all with my ramblings!

Once again, thanks to AFF instructors Ian Chick and Kieron Hayes! As for you lot, I look forward to seeing some more of you guys and gals in the real world.

regards

James Batchelor

Welcome to the skies, my friend.

I realize, that many of you will have all had first hand experience of this, been through this before, got the t-shirts and read the books so this post is probably nothing more but a load of cliches, but there we go! I am sorry to bore you all with my ramblings!

:D Are you kidding? We're not bored reading this. As my time in the air has increased, I now understand some of the love my instructors have for teaching. To see someone's face light up the first time they jump or accomplish something is very thrilling for me - and I'm not the one that did it. We all enjoy seeing the excitement of newbies in the air. Keep enjoying the skies. Stay safe and feel free to share with us your love of the sport.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Its not boring to read! I am going through my AFF at the moment and I can relate exactly to the mixed emotions you felt.

I think my fear turned to excitement on level 5 when I saw my instructor in front of me and felt like I was flying for the first time!:)
Ever since that moment all I have wanted to do is get that feeling back! Great aint it!!;)

Hi Chew

Well I have to admit .. level 5 was the first time I got that feeling of flight .. of freedom ..

Seeing someone flying near me (but not **right** next to me) for the first time was breathtaking.

I drove home that night unable to contain my joy .. breaking in to laughter every couple of minutes. But it was on 7 when it really came together for me.

What also excites me is that there is so much to learn, so many disciplines. There is enough to "experience" for years to keep the magic going. I simply cannot imagine getting bored of this, ever.

Good look with the rest of your AFF!!! Keep us up to date with your trials and tribulations! :-)

Skydiving, when the apprehension disappears and when clarity of mind kicks in is truly, truly amazing. It's beautiful.

I am just starting AFF, and I am still at the stage where that apprehension on the ride to altitude is still palpable. However, you have touched on the very thing that keeps me going--I know that some day (perhaps soon) that "metal clarity" will kick in. From my very first jump, I realized that this sport, unlike any other, could provide that sense of complete focus, of being entirely in the moment. (Has anyone ever written "Zen and the Art of Skydiving"?) It is the anticipation of that moment, not the adrenaline rush, that keeps me going. Thanks for letting me know that it is out there...and, hopefully, only a few levels away!

I am there, too, as I progress on my AFF course.

I enjoyed your post because I also feel anxious and have mixed feelings.

Level 4 was bad (I'll repeat it) and I questioned myself whether I should be disbursing so much money only to make mistakes. But driving back home I decided that I was going to forget about mistakes and spend my money enjoying the ride. Hopefully that will give me the mental clarity I need.

I wish you stay around here!!!

Welcome to the forums, and Blue Skies!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thank you for sharing your story and heartfelt feelings. I am just getting started with AFF; my first static line jump in 1968 scared me so bad that I thought I would never do it again. My second SL was actually fun, but I walked away for thrity-five years. Just spent a weekend at Perris Valley and Lake Elsinore (just watching) and now I am eager
for AFF. Again, your story gives me strength.B|
- KP
"Birds make great sky-circles of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling, they're given wings."
- RUMI

Thank you for sharing your story and heartfelt feelings. I am just getting started with AFF; my first static line jump in 1968 scared me so bad that I thought I would never do it again. My second SL was actually fun, but I walked away for thrity-five years. Just spent a weekend at Perris Valley and Lake Elsinore (just watching) and now I am eager
for AFF. Again, your story gives me strength.B|
- KP

keep us posted on your progres... welcome!

Hi James! Welcome to the forums!

Wow, what a great essay on your return to skydiving! It's not rambling at . . . it was quite well done.

I'm glad you came back and have gained such an awareness of what it means to you . . . let us know how the rest of your jumps pan out!

:)
Arrive Safely

John

Thanks! And yes I will keep you upto date on what I get upto.

I am away this weekend so have to wait until the weekend after to my next 3 levels. It makes my whole body tingle with excitement just thinking about it. :)
Speak soon! Chew!