PROGRESSIVE

Removing blood stains from a reserve (paper cut on finger))

I was packing my reserve about 3 months ago when I noticed that I had blood all over the slider and canopy. Apparently the paper cut I received earlier in the week (I have a hazzardous job) had broke open. The slider and the canopy has blotches of blood here and there, and the canopy is yellow. Not pretty.

My question is this, should I leave it alone, or try to remove old blood stains from the canopy. What would I use to remove it without damaging the fabric?

CHECK WITH A RIGGER. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS SAFE FOR THE FABRIC.

Hydrogen peroxide will remove blood stains. Just wet the area for a bit. When it stops fizzing, pour more on, til it either won't fizz any more no matter how much more you pour (the peroxide has now taken out all it can, but let it soak for a bit longer anyway, just in case) or the stain is gone. The longer the stain is there, the less likely it will all come out.

Cold water works well on fresh blood too, but I go for the peroxide every time, because it works better. Takes a lot of peroxide, though.

you can use Wisk and A brush, A friend of mine got ALOT of blood on a reserve during an incident, I took it to Terry Pyke, a local rigger in deland and he got every bit of it out. Im pretty sure he used wisk. If you want drop me a PM and Ill give you his # you can ask him directly.

you can use Wisk and A brush... Im pretty sure he used wisk.

Too strong of a detergent can harm the fabric and any agitating or brushing will increase the permeability even if you cant see this result. Blood will not harm the fabric and who's gonna see it? If you must have a pretty reserve canopy, clear cold water will probably get blood out OK, and I have had good results with Woolite on occasion. But manipulating the fabric during this process is gonna disturb both the fiber placement and calendaring, which will lead to an increase in permeability. This is the same reason that repeated packing and deploying of an F-111 canopy will slowly degrade it's performance.

Be gentle.

S49

According to Poynter's PPM, soak the stain in cold clear water (distilled works) and blot with clean dry cloths (paper towels). Be sure the cloths are clean and dry with each blotting. Don't 'wring-out' the material. Just treat the affected areas. I'm not so sure about hydrogen peroxide. I haven't seen that recommended for use on Nylon. I've removed many blood stains this way and have gotten them out... completely. Suspend the canopy and let air dry, out of sun-light. The cold, clear water should not 'disturb' the porosity or any 'coatings' on the fabric.

Chuck

The cold, clear water should not 'disturb' the porosity or any 'coatings' on the fabric.

I agree with this, but it's the brushing, scrubbing, and/or agitating during the cleaning process that can increase the permeability (not porosity) of uncoated F-111. I think using a brush (as mentioned earlier) on this fabric is a particularly bad idea.

BTW, the calendaring process is a type of heat-setting, not a coating. This "set" will degrade with rough-handling of fabric and lead to greater permeability.

S49

In each owner's manual for each parachute, harness-container or Poynter's Parachute Manual, there is information for removing stains of all kinds. A telephone call or e-mail to the manufacturer, if you don't have the manuals will help, a great deal. It beats making a 'costly' error.

Chuck

Just leave it there. any scrubing or detergent required to remove blood is bad for rip stop nylon (f111). poynters advises cold water but you know how hard blood is to get out of clothes!! I have blood on my camera wings and it has been there for ages. like the others said cool story.
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe