SkyDivinRyan

Flik (vtec) vs. Balck Jack

Hey guys did some searches and came up with next to nothing. Just wondering what your opinion is on which is best... I heard the black jack has better flaring power and glide ratio ... cheers Ryan

You're very likely to get a bunch of folks extolling the virtues of the canopy they own, without much experience on the other one. I'd recommend really only paying attention to the replies from people who have a good bit of actual experience under both canopies.

One thought: you might want to err on the side of whichever canopy folks in your area are using. That way, you have easier access to help/guidance with issues specific to your canopy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'd recommend demoing both and putting at least 15-20 (sky)jumps on each.

I have around 120-130 jumps each on a Vtec Fox and a ZP Blackjack and they're both completely different canopies which require me to use a different flying technique for each. They both have their unique strengths and weaknesses that are pretty easy to identify. I spoke to some people who had a Blackjack before I bought mine and it wasn't nearly as insightful as my own experience when I demoed a ZP Ace.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

does the flik have the ZP option? i f so, i agree with tom a. if not, ZP is sexy, makes you glide farther, flare nicer, and still lets you sink it no sweat. the packing is slightly more difficult in dry conditions, but i think its worth it.

They both have their unique strengths and weaknesses that are pretty easy to identify.

Care to share those strengths and weaknesses?

does the flik have the ZP option?

Yes. The Flik has a full ZP topskin option. The Blackjack has a composite topskin (ZP front third) option.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Aye, well then.

)does anyone know if the full zp topskin is better than the foreskin?

As i understand (from knowing about aerodynamics) that 80% of lift is produced in the first half of the cord.

it seems that pack volume/ ease would be much better with only the first 30% ZP

I talked to Todd about the full ZP top recently. He's definitely the person to ask if you have any questions about it.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Adam @ CR did lots of testing with the full ZP
If you get in touch with him, he can explain it
NEVER GIVE UP!

if u want full zp top skin just get a torboZX u can get those mad cheap just :(cut some holes in the bottom and u have a black jack

In addition to Todd and Adam (mentioned previously), you may want to find the original NASA research (that Adam drew on when deciding to go with the ZP front third) that suggested that the vast majority of the benefit to having a ZP topskin was achieved by merely the front third.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Firstly I have never jumped a Blackjack.

I have taken 2 different sizes of Flick both terminal and off 173ft freefall
The Flick is a very versatile canopy

I do have 270 jumps on full ZP topskin Foxs
Talk to Todd
Talk to Adam

But don’t make you decision based on a bias that they are hard to pack

It will take you 2-3 pack jobs and then you’ll find the canopy will go in the container sweet every time. I have heard the arguments that most of the benefit is in the from 30%.
Well I want all the benefit

I do not believe Todd will build you a ZP top skin canopy without the Multi
Due to the reduced friction (in the pack job) the multi is needed to keep it together as it lifts. But talk to him and here it from him. I like my opening with my Multi it stays on for everything from wingsuit to low freefall

I am sure the people who jump the Blackjack like their blackjacks too
As I said talk to everyone

Greeny

pay no attention to the blasphemous heathans in the peanut gallery... you want a blackjack,....

I have about 125 to 130 jumps on a flick and about 100 on a blackjack. All in the base environment. I think the blackjack is the better canopy. It flares better, sinks in better, stall recovery ins better, and flies better in my opinion. I have never flown a flik with zp. Both my blackjacks have zp for the front 1/3. I did my first jumps on the fox v-tech and thought it rocked. Then. I jumped a flick and thought that rocked. Then I jumped the blackjack and relized I had never flown a great canopy until then. The Flik is a great canopy that treated me nicely. However the blackjack out performs the flik in every aspect. In my opinion. The service through asylum I think is much better than the other also. Martin and Chad take the time to talk to you about everyone of your concerns. I didn't have that experience through any other base manufacture. Asylum rocks.

Bryan

P.S. I havn't jumped anything else besides a fox v-teh, flik, and blackjack, so figure out whats best for you.

Don't tell Chad I said this but You can's believe a word he say's. That sonofabitch I heard him lie to his own mother on the phone . ....:D
maybe From what I hear. The best all around BASE canopy possibly could be the one that you got a proper set-up and done the most jumps, flights and landings with.
Buy it - jump it - Fly it - Learn it - brag about it - in that order. ;)