havensiangst

rollover question

I have done couple off rollover from some bridges and i`m planning do do it from B,A, and E..but my question is...is it a must to have and overhanging area for doing this? most of the building is straight down...will i putting my feet into the wall after i done the roll?...i have only see people roll from bridges..and would it be some different in slider OFF versus UP? some input please

if you're rolling something solid..... definatly slider off. way too likely to get an off heading slider up. don't worry about swinging back into the building, just push off real hard. It's only base, how bad could it be anyway...? seriously, I've rolled over a building that i pretty much just fell off, i barely dove out at all, and I opened up a good 10 feet away from the B.
but I don't recomend any of this ever, for anyone. unpacked jumps can get real nasty real quick.
be safe or die

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

I think you are going to die, but my advice anyway is to go slider off/down. I have done about 40 unpacked jumps and witnessed hundreds more and I have never heard a good reason to do any unpacked jump slider up.

dont worry about u will be fine no one ever gets hurt doing unpacked jumps off of real objects and no the leading edge of youe canopy will never get a little hung up on the edge of the building or cliff giveing u a 90 or greater off heading opening I say go for but please by all means take video whats your big rush to do this any way do u think it will make u cool if u want to me cool u have to do an I-ROC of all 4 objects no that would be cool

...is it a must to have and overhanging area for doing this? most of the building is straight down...

Vertical is fine. The center of mass of the rotating system (you plus the parachute) is well down the lines toward the jumper (because the jumper weighs a lot more than the parachute).

will i putting my feet into the wall after i done the roll?

No. The "extra" pendulum will be away from the wall, not toward it, because the center of mass of they system is out away from the wall (because you've pushed the heaviest component--your body--out there).

...and would it be some different in slider OFF versus UP?

Do it slider of/down, for certain. Using the slider gives you worse heading, and the advantage of using the slider (keeps the canopy together in wind) is negligible on a solid object (where you shouldn't be going in wind anyway, but the canopy is hanging in the wind shadow regardless).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think you are going to die, but my advice anyway is to go slider off/down. I have done about 40 unpacked jumps and witnessed hundreds more and I have never heard a good reason to do any unpacked jump slider up.

Ohh no i`m not gonna die be.c.a.u.s.e.....i have BODYPROTECTION!!! hahaha....but thanks for the advice:ph34r:

I roc's are for real men only....... or real stupid men.... still to be determined

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

I have done about 40 unpacked jumps and witnessed hundreds more and I have never heard a good reason to do any unpacked jump slider up.

OK, let's try these:

1 - so you can more safely do unpacked 2 (or more) ways

2 - where the span extends far enough below the exit that an object strike is possible slider off, but not slider-up, it makes object strike almost impossible

3 - so your can have more canopy time when testing your slider-up line-release toggles from a 486' span

4 - so you can do a longer than 2.5 sec delay without getting spanked by your Blackjack

5- so you can do unpacked jumps from a plane

6 - so you don't get whipped as bad when you over-rotate your backflip on an IROC

7 - so you can practice dealing with linetwists

8 - so you can practice dealing with off-headings

9- so you can more easily get your toggles unstowed before your canopy is fully open and learn how it reacts to control input before pressurisation

10 - McCartwheels seem a lot less scary slider-up

OK, that's all I got. No. 10 might not be a good reason because that's a stupidly dumb jump anyway.

4 - so you can do a longer than 2.5 sec delay without getting spanked by your Blackjack

I was actually thinking about slider up for a terminal mary-poppins after I posted, but that seems pretty retarded.

#1- Please explain?

#2- That sounds like it has potential, but there seems to be something inherently wrong with the idea of giving up heading performance for the return of a lower openning.

#3 Okay, I'll give you that one.

#5 To me this doesn't fall into the "good reason" category.

6- Yea I didn't have that problem

7 and 8- linetwists and off headings are the reasons to NOT go slider up on unpacked jumps, but I guess if you WANT the practice.

***9- so you can more easily get your toggles unstowed before your canopy is fully open and learn how it reacts to control input before pressurisation***

I don't think you can get an accurate feel for this since at that point you don't know what direction your canopy will open and therefore don't truely know to what extent your control inputs are affecting the heading.

#10 I don't know anything about McCartwheels, so I'll take your word for it. Got video?

edited for spelling

I have done a rollover off of a building that had no overhang. the canopy was rubbing against the bricks, and it was fine. Of course check for snag points, launch out, and definitely go slider off.

I roc's are for real men only....... or real stupid men.... still to be determined

BASE is generaly a stupid thing to do so....it must be the 2nd choice....i guess

OK, let's try these:

#1- Please explain?

vertical separation.
it prevents unnecessary entanglement, expecially when you have more height than required and limited horizontal spacing.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

OK, let's try these:

#1- Please explain?

vertical separation.
it prevents unnecessary entanglement, expecially when you have more height than required and limited horizontal spacing.

There's a good post floating around somewhere by 587, in which he details a jump he did with Douggs and DD, which was a 3 way unpacked, and they were very surprised by the lack of separation between the slider up and down delay jumpers.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

What is a I-ROC..?? can you elebrate...

As far as I know, both the jump and the name were invented by Rauk, who has already posted to this thread, so perhaps he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Stand facing the object (full floater position). Hang the canopy down behind your back (so not between you and the object). Do a back flip and pass over the canopy.

If I recall correctly, the version where you do the floater with the canopy hanging between yourself and the object is called the Steamroller (is that right? anyone know for sure?).

There are loads of variations to the rollover style unpacked jumps.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i rocs are the sketchiest maneuver ever done. anyone doing them is a moron. the inventer is a dick. th inventor of the sushiroll-over is much cooler, and its a better tirck.

Easy there Calvin, unless you were joking.......
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

DUDE AN I-ROC is a popular car made by chevy in the 80's
the we roc is atard over 2way with a backward rollover where the 2 in way takes a flower grip there are only 2people in the world cool enough to ever do this i beleave it was
980 and maggot by now both are proubly in jail or rehab

Easy there Calvin, unless you were joking.......

of course im not joking! rauk is a bad person. :P

he took me for some of mt first jumps, a really bad ass smart kid.... im just doing my part to ruin the forums even more.

Idaho's
Reverse
Over
Cool
IROC

I saw this done and heard it called an "IROC" before Rauk started BASE jumping. Kmonster, Dexter, and PeterK were all there.

No offense meant to anyone. That was just my first recollection of many of those jumps.

Can you give us a rundown on which is which?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The backflip over the canopy is the IROC. Rauk was the first person I ever heard of to do a "steamroller" it was a few years ago. Rauk did coin the term "steamroller"

speaking of crazy shithot unpacked shit,

I THINK i invented a trick i call the sushiroll-over.
set up a standard rollover, but throw a 360 degree twist in the lines, and do a misty over the canopy.

i bet its been done a lot, i did it in 2005 a lot.

speaking of crazy shithot unpacked shit,

I THINK i invented a trick i call the sushiroll-over.
set up a standard rollover, but throw a 360 degree twist in the lines, and do a misty over the canopy.

i bet its been done a lot, i did it in 2005 a lot.

i think i did a similar "stunt" over my bicycle once..but then in a non intension way..a dog came in my way..B| that ruin my day..also the dogs..:|