Zoter

side float and 'full' float exit...

You might call it something else....getting off facing the object and facing the side of the object...
I'm planning to learn to do these exits of a nice 2-3sec delay span...
Anyone got any constructive advice on safety/technique/practice for these exits..?

Cheers

works great for faceing floater off an A in wind. um, cliff would be fun. im in and uh, building, well, depends.

full floater you will want to exit slightly head high. In my experience. Side floater is like a regular exit. Just focus on a point and shove off.

P.S. Waiving your arms in fear won't help your body position.

Bryan

But it makes for good video ;) Don't push too much with your arms..
BASEstore.it

Don't push too much with your arms..

And just to be extra-helpful, don't push too much with your legs either. You'll feel like you should get yourself belly-to-earth as soon as possible, but 2-3 seconds is a LONG time, and if you're rotating much you'll be head-low by the time you pitch. If you exit thinking "I'm going to be at 45 degrees by the time I pitch", you'll probably do fine.

...if you're rotating much you'll be head-low by the time you pitch

Seconded; remember to stay head high. I think it's easier to go too much head-low (initiating a rotation on push-off, trying to get away from the railing, which isn't really necessary) than it is accidentally falling over backwards. I also prefer to look at the horizon.

My dilemma the first few times was, do I stand with both feet on the edge and push simultaneously, or do I stand on one foot with the other foot already dangling backwards a little a bit and then step off? I seem to prefer the latter, although after a few it doesn't really matter much anymore.

If it's any help, there's a floater fifteen seconds into this video.

Bryan

Use your arms Johnny, fly like an Eagle. :P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

on a full faceing floater, (with wind) just step off the A. literaly. make sure there is not ledges below exit, and stepp off. the visual is sick. enough wind is good though.

yah reading about how do an exit is the best way to learn.
God forbid some one actually takes the time to learn how to do things the right way
just close yor eyes and pray. that works 2

I learned how to fly a plane by putting a post on a pilots blog

good luck your gonna need it

Have you considered using a pendulator or a public swimming pool to practice the exit a couple hundred times before you do it on a BASE jump?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Have you considered using a pendulator or a public swimming pool to practice the exit a couple hundred times before you do it on a BASE jump?

does everything for FJC instructors come down to pendulators? i mean, havent a lot of pendulator graduates totaly botched their first BASE exit? (I have heard of it a few times)

IMO there is absolutely no substitute for acrobatic/dive training when it comes to subterminal freefall body control. This applies even if all you do is flat and stable. Pendulators, swimming pools, and foam pits are basically the quick and easy, but less effective, way to go about it. Have somebody spend 3-5 hours a week for a month doing basic dive/gymnastic training and I'd venture to guess that crappy launches on first jumps would be extremely rare, and the ability to recover from a possible crappy exit would be well developed. For me, the difference in freefall body control before and after seriously training was night and day.

Edit: This applies mainly for guys. For some reason girls learn gymnastic and dive skills much much slower than guys do.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

For some reason girls learn gymnastic and dive skills much much slower than guys do.

As a gymnastics instructor, I would have to disagree with that... Strength skills, yes, guys pick that up faster, most everything else (balance, flexibility, ect.) girls pick up much faster... my .02.

Practicing exactly what you want to do never hurts.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

I was going off of what I was told by many different instructors, both gymanstic and diving, that I've worked with and limited (~18 month) observation. When doing gymnastics, I mainly work with power tumbling coaches. That could be the reason why they formed that opinion.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ