d_goldsmith

Hollywood BASE

I was just watching Mission Impossible 3 with my uncle and noticed that the rig Tom cruise uses for a BASE jump is real. It's a two pin, single parachute container with a big orange warning label inside the pack tray. I couldn't get a good enough angle of it to tell what make, and was wondering if anyone knows? It looked like a Perigee Pro, but I couldn't see it that well. It was solid black, so I was also thinking maybe they borrowed it from Jeb?

Complete side note... but while we were watching it we noticed that the BASE rig magically appeared inside the building he was trying to escape, but could only penetrate via the big rope swing.

We paused the movie and zoomed in and everything to look at the rig, but I've completely forgotten what it was.

Complete side note... but while we were watching it we noticed that the BASE rig magically appeared inside the building he was trying to escape, but could only penetrate via the big rope swing.

We paused the movie and zoomed in and everything to look at the rig, but I've completely forgotten what it was.

Actually, he was wearing it durring the rope swing

You are a very good guesser :) They didn't barrow a canopy from me but they did buy one :) It was an old south african impi that wasn't really safe to jump anymore. They told me it was going to just be used to hang the actor from a pole and then would be destroyed. I am pretty sure they used a vertex for the container seeing Apex was there contact for gear...

Jeb

Who did the jump for the film?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

[shrug] haven't seen it.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Happy New Year Dave!

The wife and I booked our cruise and flights
so we will be coming to see you in May.
Looking forward to that E.

As for MI3, yeah that caught my eye also.
Lots of suspension of disbelief required ;)
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Thanks Jeb, now I'm just wondering if it was vertex or DP. Don't really care that much though.

The shots of him under canopy are so fake looking that it's almost funny, but it's not.

Tom,

:S I leave for bootcamp in March, don't get back from AIT until September. (Combat Medic)

I'll make sure to hook you up with some other locals though before I go. I bet some of them will see this and PM you.

Anyone figure out what his "mal" was? lol

I think he had a jammed Xenu
cavete terrae.

Anyone figure out what his "mal" was? lol

I think he had a jammed Xenu

:D