leapdog

Effects of a building

I did ask my mentor about this. I'm not sure it was not a detailed conversation. I will talk with him more about it. I figured I would get more than one persons advice and it couldn't hurt.

I was asking him about doing a building. He said air doesn't pass through the object so the openings are squirly. I can understand that and it goes with out saying but is there anything else?

Here is the B- 400 ft. The corner is avaible for exit, not gargoyle(not entirely sure I know what that is). Just a bit under hung.

The reason I didn't search for threads on the subject is that opoinions changes. I want the most up to date advice I can get.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

This kind of helps to see the effect a B has on wind...

You question suggests you are not asking just about winds????

As with every jump....What is your landing area like? what is the approach to the landing area? how far away from the B is it? Are there secondary landing areas? what are they like? How far are those? What hazards do you have close to you? what hazards do you have on your flight path? What hazards on an off heading opening? and correction? Where is the nearest hospital? How are you going to get away? blah blah blah blah......

I was asking him about doing a building. He said air doesn't pass through the object to the openings are squirly. I can understand that but is there anything else?

remember, turbulence is unpredictable.
you can get a feel for it by watching water flowing over rocks, or snow falling in a blizzard.

clouds passing over an object can also provide a clue.

keep you eyes open and watch!
(every object is different.)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Thanks for all that. Most of that was on my mind and I would go it alone my mentor would have to approve the the object and go with me. I was going to ask those types of questions of him after I got a few answers to my original question in here.

Pertaining to the exit and opening what else besides wind, clearing the object, rigging for the jump, and avoiding the object itself if anything should I ask about? Or know?

I think I know what a gargoyle is but can someone explain that as well?

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Pertaining to the exit and opening what else besides wind, clearing the object, rigging for the jump, and avoiding the object itself if anything should I ask about? Or know?

Where is the landing area?

Gargoyle: a pin closed BASE rig from Morpheus technologies.

Gargoyle: an ornamental statue or figurehead protruding from the side of a building.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Where is the landing area?

Thanks

Gargoyle: a pin closed BASE rig from Morpheus technologies.

Gargoyle: an ornamental statue or figurehead protruding from the side of a building.

I know that- jeez-, I asked my mentor about launching the corner and he said the exit is sort of funky... it isn't a gargoyle or anything...

what is that? some sort of exit position?

I know that- jeez-, I asked my mentor about launching the corner and he said the exit is sort of funky... it isn't a gargoyle or anything...

what is that? some sort of exit position?

Are you sure he's not using the second one (a protruding piece of statuary to exit from that puts you further from the object)?

To my knowledge, the term Gargoyle has no other usage relevant to BASE jumping. Please ask your mentor to explain it, and them email me and let me know what it is.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

That could be it. I'll definately ask when we have more time to talk in depth about everything.

I'll let you know.

dont be such a wimp just jump and make sure theres people there yo see it that way maybe u can get laid
for once in your life
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

make sure theres people there yo see it that way maybe u can get laid
for once in your life

That works for you?

I disagree. Turbs are very predictable. There are loads of books on this. They are probaly the most predictable.
take care,
space

I disagree. Turbs are very predictable. There are loads of books on this. They are probaly the most predictable.
take care,
space

OK, just so I understand: are you saying that turbulent airflow is very predictable?

Could you define what you mean by predictable?

Computational Fluid Dynamics happens to be one of the most difficult fields in the world to get results consistent with observed reality and even today there are a lot of empirical methods used.

Maybe you are not saying that you could predict the exact nature of the turbulent airflow around a building??

I'm thinking that anyone who has ever thrown a few wind drift indicators from a building might find your statement hard to understand/believe.

take care,
space

anyone watching the phenomena I mentioned can predict when and where turbulence may occur. (many books can help.)

predicting how such turbulence will affect a canopy is not so simple...
DON'T PANIC

u of all people know that i am a child prodigy and there for u know of at least one person "me" that can predick
wind stuff on or off building and can always tell in any given situation which way my canopy will open.

I dont know if u guys know this but air moves and it can effect the way your paramachute fly's

well now u know and theres nothing else to know . so just jump already
TOSS MY SALAD

I dont know if u guys know this but air moves and it can effect the way your paramachute fly's

Wow!!!! Just wow!!!
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Previous

wwarped wrote:
you can get a feel for it by watching water flowing over rocks, or snow falling in a blizzard.

space wrote:
take care,
space

980 wrote:
OK, just so I understand: are you saying that turbulent airflow is very predictable?

Can you define what you mean by predictable?

Computational Fluid Dynamics happens to be one of the most difficult fields in the world to get results consistent with observed reality and even today there are a lot of empirical methods used.

Maybe you are not saying that you could predict the exact nature of the turbulent airflow around a building??

I'm thinking that anyone who has ever thrown a few wind drift indicators from a building might find your statement hard to understand/believe.

@980
Wwarped posted that “turbulence is unpredictable”. Whenever wind is blowing around or over a solid object there is turbulence. “Turbulent airflow” is not what he was addressing according to his post. Only “turbulence”.
Of course I can predict the exact nature of the turbulent airflow around a building. I am getting really good on cliffs too. Round building, square ? In either one of the scenarios there are no downwind sides to a solid object, the rotor blows back into it.. The best option is the crosswind on the downwind side.
Turbs have this effect on lets say a square building’s 4 sides.
a. Main headwind,
b. Crosswind from the left,
c. Crosswind from the right,
d. Turbs creating a headwind on the downwind side (rotor)

“I'm thinking that anyone who has ever thrown a few wind drift indicators from a building might find your statement hard to understand/believe”

I am thinking the opposite. If the WDI blows into the building it is exactly because one is on the main headwind side or the downwind side (Turbs).
I hope this helps.

@ wwarped
“anyone watching the phenomena I mentioned can predict when and where turbulence may occur. (many books can help.)

predicting how such turbulence will affect a canopy is not so simple...”

“phenomena”? Does that not mean without obvious cause? Sorry to be hard on you but turbs as a result of windflow around an object aint no phenomena.

“predicting how such turbulence will affect a canopy is not so simple...”

Opening is dependent on the airflow and the way it takes one’s PC out of perpendicularity (assuming it has symmetricalality) from one’s shoulders alignment to present the packjob to the airflow.
The landing downwind of a turbulence creating object is this formula: 2 times horizontal of the vert. (Tom A., Calvin19?)

But then I must ask why does one wish to jump in turbulent conditions?
I have better things to do on turbulent days. But that’s just me.
Take care,
space

My god, that's one of the sanest things I've read in this forum :$:D:D:D
We are all engines of karma

“anyone watching the phenomena I mentioned can predict when and where turbulence may occur. (many books can help.)

predicting how such turbulence will affect a canopy is not so simple...”

“phenomena”? Does that not mean without obvious cause? Sorry to be hard on you but turbs as a result of windflow around an object aint no phenomena.

“predicting how such turbulence will affect a canopy is not so simple...”

Opening is dependent on the airflow and the way it takes one’s PC out of perpendicularity (assuming it has symmetricalality) from one’s shoulders alignment to present the packjob to the airflow.
The landing downwind of a turbulence creating object is this formula: 2 times horizontal of the vert. (Tom A., Calvin19?)

by "phenomena," I meant watching snow swirling in a blizzard, or how a low cloud moves around a building. both permit people to directly view turbulence.

watch these wind patterns, and you might question how they will take your "PC out of perpendicularity."

if you choose to jump in such conditions, you can only react to how the turbulence affects you. you can not be proactive. so, why jump?

I think we are saying much of the same thing, just in different ways...

I hope this helps answer the original question.
DON'T PANIC

Thanks to everyone for posting. I'm getting something from this conversation.

i open a B in 14 mile an hour winds last night and although
landing was interesting i was fine but then again im the coolest mother fucker in the world
TOSS MY SALAD

Yeah, you're a legend in your own mind.:ph34r:
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

...paramachute...

I got mine on order, can't wait...B|