dbagdrew

Swiss Waterfall Flag

I was watching a BASE video recently (Keen 'n Able), and noticed a flag in what looked to be the side of a wall.

It was a swiss flag, and the jump was beside a water fall. I assume this is the one in the swiss valley that is temporary closed.

Does anyone know the story of this flag?

It looks pretty cool, I was wondering where it is on the wall and how far out it is. Looks like it is quite a ways out.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

If I remember correctly it hangs out a good 20+ form the wall. Don't know the story behind it but they light it up at night along with part of the falls.
SabreDave

I asked about it at the horner and jungfrau and they jsut said it was up there nothing special.

illegal jump, if i remember correctly?

Was legal. Started getting periodic closures when we (jumpers) did dumb-ass stuff (like jumping during a funeral in the village below). Now closure seems like the normal state of affairs on that one, but don't take that as "it's illegal, so why not" because there are many other exits in the same valley, governed by the same folks, so we still have lots to lose there.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

When I was there in 2004 it was not yet closed. It was, " do it early in the morning, no funeral jumps and please don't jump the crap out of it" mode.

It sucks that it is now closed but it is their town not ours and the other exits are super sweet anyway.

Edit to add: None of the four of us bothered to jump when we were there due to the sensetive nature of it at the time.
SabreDave

illegal jump, if i remember correctly?

Was legal. Started getting periodic closures when we (jumpers) did dumb-ass stuff (like jumping during a funeral in the village below). Now closure seems like the normal state of affairs on that one, but don't take that as "it's illegal, so why not" because there are many other exits in the same valley, governed by the same folks, so we still have lots to lose there.

It is exactly as Tom says it. The jump is illegal and jumpers will get fined for jumping it. But that is only the unimportant side of it; the fine is not height...
But this jump is the only one that is near to the town. And the waterfall is the main tourist attraction in the valley. That is why the locals don't want us to jump there. So if people keep jumping there the locals will stop the jumping in the valley.
But the sad thing is that this has been communicated many times and there are still reckless assholes that give a shit about this and jump it anyways.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

And once again, don't call air glacier to ask which ones are legal or tolerated! People were jumping it this summer saying that Air Glaicier didn't say anything that it wasnt legal...

Air Glacier do just control air traffic, that's all
They don't:
- give weather information
- give wind condition
- say which exit you shouldn't jump
- say which field you should land on

All you have to do is to jump with respect and a thing we call "menschenverstand" (michi, can you translate??), not all base tourists does have this

Stay safe

See ya soon, michi

All you have to do is to jump with respect and a thing we call "menschenverstand" (michi, can you translate??),

common sense:)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

common sense:)

common sense and jumping from perfectly good cliffs :| :D:D:D

Oh general question about the valley, is the littering/trash situation better now ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Last weekend there was toilet paper and crap at the exit of La Mousse.
If you are a slow hicker it's a 60min hike from the station. I mean who would even think to bring toilet paper on such a short hike...:S
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

There is not really any other reason to be at that exit point.

Yes there is: to take a crap :D

After landing, my canopy ended up in the patch of grass the crawfish poachers use as a toilet the other day. There is nothing more revolting than having to clean human faeces off your canopy... [I need a puking emoticon]
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Yes there is: to take a crap :D

:D

After landing, my canopy ended up in the patch of grass the crawfish poachers use as a toilet the other day. There is nothing more revolting than having to clean human faeces off your canopy... [I need a puking emoticon]

[:/]

A good reason not to take a boskak at the top, or at least not to bring tp. Still find it hilarious somebody would bring a roll...:S

"I had 10 cups of coffee and half a pack of smokes this morning, better bring a roll of tp..."
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen