phonics1981

Helmets

says who??? i have never heard of that one.

Says me >:( LOL!

Well that's what I've always been led to believe but now you've made me go and look in the ops manual (section 6). It says:

Student and Intermediate Parachutists must wear a suitably sturdy open faced, hard protective helmet without a peak.

It doesn't explicitly mention licenses and I don't know what the definition of an "Intermediate Parachutist" is.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I was told Gath is B license and above, since it hardly consititutes a sturdy open face helmet. Depends on what your CCI says.

Edit: and Intermediate is cat 8 but not B license yet. In other words A license.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Do you have to have a B license to wear a Gath helmet?

Honestly, I wouldn't want to wear one anyways.

They're not sturdy, they don't offer much in protection, infact about the only thing they're really good for is keeping your hair from getting messy and to hold your protrack. Its made out of a light weight plastic that doesn't offer in much of protection.

IMHO, if you want a stronger helmet, look at a ProTec or even look at stuff like the Mindwarp or similar helmets from other manufactures.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dont forget which governing body your refering to..most of you guys are Brits that are refering to BPA rules. This forum is global.

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to wear DZ helmet (mostly protec) till you have an A license. Then you can jump what ever type of head gear you want, or none if you so chose. I believe when you rent gear they figure you are not an "up jumper yet" and you wind up with student gear. ie... big canopys, big rig.rsl, aad, large face atl., protec helmet, cheesy goggles.

I have heard, and seen Gath as being one of the thinnest helmets, and offering the least "real" protection other than a frap hat, which is nothing more than a ball cap with a chin strap.:)

. Mmmmm, gotta love those frap hats.

Gus

:PROFL..............yep, looking like a refugee Conehead, sure to pick up lootssss of chicks.....

The frap hat is basically for slide protection, the construction is similar to the leather skull caps the motorcycle racers wore in the 20-30's. The raised pads on the sides offer only slight protection to a sudden impact......There's a reason why leather helmets cannot be worn while riding a motorcycle. If your gonna take an elbow to the head, its best to be wearing a hard shell of some kind, but anything is better than nothing.....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.