johnie

Bridge day info 411

Not at all. I think representation of our sport in todays standards in completely crucial to the survival of it, and the ability for it to grow. The only way it will ever be accepted in a manor that we could open up some of our sites in the US is to promote safety. I just think allowing the inexperienced to participate is asking for more negativity to what we are trying to promote as an acceptable sport in the eyes of the ones putting us in jail and stealing our gear.
I absolutely respect bridge day and everything it has done for BASE. I am friends with some of the innovators of BD. #38, #36, #58. I have heard so many stories from them, and respect everything they accomplished. From hearing stories, I know what bridge day was, and now, what it is. It is perceived completely different now. Now it is just a big party and a social setting. Then, it was passion, innovation, and pure courage. Back then, people didn't even know what BASE was. Now, we are the enemy. I know this from personal experience.
Quote BASE 38: "hell, back then we didn't even know what we were doing." " Everything was experimental and in the testing process." " Now, gear is so technologically advanced that even a 'dumb ass' can survive..."
I think BD could do so much for BASE under the right circumstances. I would just hate to bring anymore negativity to what we all cherish so dearly.
Why is BD different from BASE. Is it not a BASE jump? Do we really want inexperienced jumpers to do something stupid and hurt themselves? Or, do we really want the 50 jump wonder to buy that new rig for BD, everything goes smooth, and thinks 'hey' it worked then. I think I will go jump from my local A now.
I just think there should be a little bit of a higher standard for the prerequisite. Maybe I am wrong.

Just like the USPA, if we work as a whole, we could actually make a difference. Not that I want a governing body to regulate it. Which is virtually impossible... But if we all pull together, in ten years maybe some of our Big Walls could be accessible. I know it is a long shot, but you never know what we can actually accomplish.

Hope I am not pissing off anyone, but everyone, including me, is entitled to an opinion.

I would put some big money on the fact that if BD had a prerequisite, we would still have the number of jumpers that that is desired, and there would be a completely different vibe and positive influence.

I will go next year, just because that object rocks!

I think representation of our sport in todays standards in completely crucial to the survival of it, and the ability for it to grow.

Can you explain why you think this?

Why do you think that BASE needs public acceptance or support to survive?

Do you think that growth of the sport is good? What makes you think that?

Thanks.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think representation of our sport in todays standards in completely crucial to the survival of it, and the ability for it to grow. The only way it will ever be accepted in a manor that we could open up some of our sites in the US is to promote safety. I just think allowing the inexperienced to participate is asking for more negativity to what we are trying to promote as an acceptable sport

a circus atmosphere CAN lead to poor judgement. last year's turkey boogie and at least one big weekend in TF come to mind...

guess which event has the less experienced jumpers? many experienced jumpers attend BD KNOWING they will be guiding newbies.

BD has a remarkable safety record. currently, Jason works tirelessly to keep everyone safe.

From hearing stories, I know what bridge day was, and now, what it is. It is perceived completely different now. Now it is just a big party and a social setting. Then, it was passion, innovation, and pure courage. Back then, people didn't even know what BASE was. Now, we are the enemy. I know this from personal experience.

everything changes! equipment, techniques, and events all change. we get to choose if we honor those who have come before and developed things, or we can disagree with what they wrought. it seems you disagree with the world your friends helped create... (even if it is not what they desired.)

I think BD could do so much for BASE under the right circumstances.

suggestions?
oh, and where should the newbies go?

I know many who attend to get a taste of BASE, to see what it is like. it's like a tandem jump. it lets them decide if they should continue or not. you'll know these people because they'll jump skydiving rigs. do you think most then go buy a BASE rig? (check out how much BASE gear goes on sale AFTER BD.)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

The wingsuit delay of James last year looked very long...

bingo!

I have video of that and I'm pretty sure it's in the 9+ second region.

It's amazing what wingsuits have done even with so little working time, James opened pretty much at the landing area.

thanks. it looks like one of the boats didnt see him until he was open and they had to do a 180 just in case of a water landing. nice flight.:)

thanks. it looks like one of the boats didnt see him until he was open and they had to do a 180 just in case of a water landing. nice flight.:)

I was in the landing area, and I think his plan was to take a water landing. His off-heading put him just on the shoreline, and he rolled his ankle a bit. I haven't watched the video (was it shot from above?), but I can tell you from my perspective below that it was pretty much a psychotically low pull.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was in the landing area, and I think his plan was to take a water landing. His off-heading put him just on the shoreline, and he rolled his ankle a bit. I haven't watched the video (was it shot from above?), but I can tell you from my perspective below that it was pretty much a psychotically low pull.

He wasn't that low and he didn't have an off heading.... maybe they made two jumps.

He wasn't that low and he didn't have an off heading.... maybe they made two jumps.

James made at least 3 wingsuit jumps. One was a 4 way with Baxter, Perry and Robert in Prodigies and James in a Phantom (maybe an Acro?). One was a rodeo with me. The third was a solo where he flew very far (that's the one I was describing, above). I'm not sure if he made more jumps than that, but it's very possible.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com