mtnlion667

security

Thought I'd share the coolest thing that ever happened to me on a building entrance:

Ridiculously high profile 54 story under construction. The president is in town and the police are EVERYWHERE. Good night for a flick, right? we thought so. After a perimeter and LZ walk we aproach the fence.... peek our heads over and see the booth. It's dark. what the hell, climb the fence and hop in..... lights come on and the guard walks out. I've got on my stash bag and gloves. But decide to talk my way in, maybe even bribe the guy if necessary. Bs w/him for a minute or two as comfortable as I can be. He tells me to tell the other guy that the gate is open. I'm still wondering if we're getting pulled together to get busted but I can't resist so I call in my friend. We both shoot the shit and crack some jokes before the guy tells us he's going back to sleep! turns the lights on and points us to the stairs.
Couldn't get the jump as there was 5-0 parked in both LZ's by the time we got to the top, and they sat there for the 1 1/2 hrs we waited on the roof. walked back down, said goodnight to our new friend and told him we'd be back next week. I guess the easiest place to hide something is in plain site......

anyone else got any good security stories?

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

Sounds a whole hell of a lot better than my most recent experience. The security guard had NO intentions on talking on a friendly level. In fact, the last thing I remember him saying before I burned out on his ass is, "stop you s.o.b. or I will shoot your f...ing ass in the back." Of course he didn't, otherwise I probably would not be posting this. Don't you just love the 'rent a cop' mentality. Their 7 dollar an hour asses don't have anything else to do but threatin harmless BASE jumpers. Probably woke him up... I guess that's a good reason to pop a cap in my back. I ended up on a roof too. But the wrong roof, and there was a continuous search by multiple 5 0 for about 2 hours. Anyway, congrats on stumbling upon a 'cool' rent a cop. Hope he stays there and you get it next time bro.

I have been on several high profile buildings under construction and have always received permission from the security people working on them. One building we were allowed to pack inside under the lights for multiple jumps for weeks.

My thoughts on this whole thing is if you show them that your not there to steal or vandalize anything,they all think its the coolest thing to watch.

Some people say that by alerting them to your presence that you have burned the site, Not so! If they see you hiding in the shadows they dont know what the hell is going on so yeah there gonna beef up security. Thats why they are there!
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

good point. the problem lies that the site had been jumped a couple of times before, and there for sure was never a security guard. I think I would have felt way more comfortable knowing that he was there, and approaching him in a different manor. Like without my stash bag on. It was just a very circumstantial problem that could have been avoided, being that I knew that he was even present. Maybe I could just go back (beer in hand) and see if he is willing to just strike up a conversation. I could just play it by ear from that point. I know for a fact that he did not see my face, so it isn't like he would remember me as the infamous 'man in black' that got away from him.

Chuck Sweeny . . .

He was jumping a LA building he jumped before, and unknown to him, the President (Bush 1) was over-nighting in a hotel directly across the street. He made the Secret Service look pretty bad as they were clueless until after he landed. He could have flown his canopy, they realized later, right into the President's window with a load of explosives.

And then it turned into the Keystone Cops with them firing their guns wildly at him as he careened his car through a parking lot and made good his escape. They later arrested him at his home after they had to call him on the phone because they couldn't find his house, even though they had the address from his license plates.

Initially, Chuck didn't know who was chasing and shooting at him. Security guards gone berserk? A street gang? His car was sporting more than a few bullet holes as drove home shaking like a leaf and wondering what the hell all that was about.

There's been, since then, a paragraph or two I'm sure, in the Secret Service manual concerning terrorist BASE jumpers and don't think they haven't made note, and have the cold willies, over the recent BASE jumps being made in Iran . . .

Anyway, on the phone, they identified themselves as Secret Service and told Chuck they just wanted to talk to him and he gave them the directions. When he opened the door they rushed him, cuffed him, and carted him off to some downtown office without a word. And then they weren't buying his story. They just couldn't see jumping off a building as fun, much less a sport, and Chuck said later he repeated the story so many times that night it started to sound ridiculous even to him.

The final result was the King's X. The Secret Service didn't want the story of their ineptness to come out so they told Chuck to forget all about it.

I doubt he ever has . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I am chuckling to myself picturing a very scared suicide bomber go in with a bridle wrapped around his hand trying to deploy a 9 cell sail slider up on moded skydiving gear.

Attachment:

"Hey man, that's what he said, that's what I heard, all the way down:
CURSE THIS FOOLISH OBSESSION! CURSE THIS FOOLISH OBSESSION! CURSE THIS FOOLISH OBSESSION!!!"

I think I'll stop yelling "Allah ackbar!" when I exit.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I personally think your full of Sh--- and u didnt even jump u just because of the cops u baby meet me there today 5pm sharp ill show u how to day blaze nyc style
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

It's a thread hijack but i'm bored and this "Secret Service manual concerning terrorist BASE jumpers" is inspiring.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

One of the funniest stories of a building Jump Gone-Weird was a local building under construction here in Portland that Slim was hitting-up about every other night for a jump.
He said that he was going about his business as usual. Hops the fence and makes his way up the stairs when he heard voices coming up from the lower floors. It seems that the security guard had finally earned his keep and spotted him and called the local town-clowns in blue.
Slim gets to the top floor that is still under construction. Looks around for a quick place to hide but it is pretty open and barren. The story-level is still in plain corrugated steel floor and only about half of the level is poured in concrete. ONLY thing that was a cover was ' 2 lonely Porta Potties' just sitting there. SOoooo the he runs and makes a quick dive into one of the Shitters and locks the door, sits down and makes quiet.
He is being real quiet and he hears the two officers walking out on the deck and talking. They are making small talk about the view and kind of giving the place a quick looking over. Then one of the officers says that he has to take a quick piss before he walk down. Slim say's that he heard the officer walk-up and pull on the shitter door but it kind of half-assed locked with that plastic sliding lock mechanism. The next tug was a little more firmer and the door flung open and Slim said he did not know who was more scared, the officer or him.
The officer jumps back. Slim just said he just made the best of the situation. He said he very calmly stepped out and said "Hey Mate no worries. I am not vandalizing or involved in any thievery. I just came up here to make a BASE jump "
He said the officer kind of looked at each other and one kind of made the remaks similar to, " ...Well if you were to make it to the edge and jumped before we could actually could stop you..."
Slim said he was pulling his PC out and folding the Bridal to go hand-held and walking to the edge as the officer was saying that. said he got to the edge. Told the officers that he would just wait for them both at the bottom and Exited. He said he heard one of the officers make a loud comment as he exited like "Holy fucking shit".
Slim opened and got the Heading. set-up and landed next to his car that was parked in the usual parking lot. Then he said he made the mistake and said he did not know why ? he did it but he Bolted. Threw his gear in the car and drove off.
Well it was not but 2-minutes. The two officers on the roof were on the radio and called for support and he was being pulled over for integration. Slim said he was being questioned for about an hour and was Cuffed and sitting on the street curb while everyone involved were discusing the nights excitment. When one of the two oficer that were on the roof with him came up and said. " It was one of the coolest things they ever seen but he should not have made a run-for-it. and it gave him no choice but to radio for backup". but just wait and "Dont Say A Word' about anything. I will try to smooth things out".
Well about 15- minutes latter a officer came over and took his cuffs off and told him to get lost.

we just got the cops called on us BEFORE we jumped..... 3 white guys in honda in the ghetto.... somebody get the po-po!!!! of course we laughed nd chuckled w/them while we checked the ground winds, then we drove right pst security w/ a flip of the peace sign. Paid to park in the garage, walked over to the elevator and rode it to the 38th. clean flick, with a park to land in.... have agood night mister parking lot patrol, we'll be back next week. Why did I ever spend all that time hopping fences and hiding in shdows? this is much more fun.

BASE NYC....... 2 boroughs to go.

> One of the funniest stories of a building Jump Gone-Weird was a local building under construction here in Portland that Slim was hitting-up about every other night for a jump...
——————————————————————————————
One thing that I am really missing is to read Slim's thread on the old BASE Board, threads dealing with Slim doing urban BASE jumps and so.
I miss Slim and his stories so much.
And the old BASE Board as well.
Thanks, Ray, for sharing this story :)
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com