bmsbase

The BASE Zone

the base zone reads:

The BASE Zone
If you plan to try your hand at BASE jumping make sure you know what you're getting into. BASE jumping is extremely dangerous and you should clearly understand the risks before you think about it, whether you're a skydiver or not!

or if your not a member i think it reads:

The BASE Zone
Plan to try BASE jumping? Know what you're getting into.

...now ... is it just me or does that seem to invite the newcomer to post and ask questions ...

to those of you hostile ones:
i suspect their are plenty of BASE'rs on here that find your hostility far more annoying than newcomers asking questions ... i also suspect when you were new you asked questions and not all of them were so bright ... i know i asked my share of silly questions ... stop thinking because you have a couple hundred base jumps you are so great ... there are plenty of jumpers out there with over 500, over 1000 and you do not see them posting hostility. let newcomers ask questions and let nice people respond to them ... you should keep your hostility to yourself & move on to the next post.
blaine

Well said.

420 out
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

A silly question is quite different from a lazy question. I have asked my fair share of silly questions, but I challenge you to find a lazy question in my posting history. I have put a large amount of work into my BASE career, both in preparation and since I started jumping. I don't think that makes me a great jumper. On the contrary, I have made my fair share of reckless jumps and emptied my luck bucket a long time ago.

However, there is varying degrees of greatness. On a technical level I am one of the worst BASE jumpers around. My reputation for being a dumbass is well known. But on a spiritual level, I would venture to say that I'm not doing too bad. Unfortunately it's a very subjective measure. The spirit of BASE jumping can mean something entirely different between two people, and what I may think is appropriate another person may not care about.

My annoyance is not about the clutter on this forum. I participate in online communities for a living and I'm quite adept at handling poor signal to noise ratios.

I get pissed off because I see people that expect things handed to them on a silver platter. Each time we give these people what they ask for, we reinforce their belief that this is the way the universe works. Mind you, this sort of behavior is not limited to prospective BASE jumpers. I see it all around me. It's been around forever, and I don't expect it to go away in the next ten millennia.

The reason I get so worked up over it here is because BASE is precisely the activity where a silver platter philosophy doesn't work. It is the one sport where it is truly up to you, and you alone. Every time we hand-hold a person into the sport it is an insult to what I believe is the spirit of the sport.

Which brings me full circle; what you believe is the spirit of the sport may be different. That's fine, I'll respect that, and I'll have a discussion about what BASE can mean any time of the week.

But make no mistake, whenever one of the silver platter people hurt themselves they'll be the first to say: "Geez, I just broke my back. How did that happen? I didn't know I could actually get hurt doing this. I mean, I read about it. But not me. It can't be my fault. It must be the wind, the gear, the color of my pilotchute..."

And that - that's not an insult to BASE. That's an insult to being human.

'silver platter' is not the issue.
your a software engineer. you know where to look and push the button for internet info.
us tax code. feel like arguing the us tax code with me... come on tell me sec 263A. so if someone does not understand the capitalization of intangibles into inventory i should treat them harsly?
people are here to learn about base. toms articles at the top of the page are wonderful. some may not see them. others may just want to hear the forums insight in addition to the article. they do not need your harsh critisism. they need someone like tom or nick to point out where they should go and what to learn.
my point ... you keep your hostility off of here.
hope that is clear
blaine
blaine

pardon?

you want to translate that for me?

-

:D , heerlijk. = lovely
-
Jaap, je lult te veel! = Jaap, you talk bullshit too much.
edit to add:
Ik prat het grootste gelul van hen iedereen. Probeer zo niet naar gelul de hoofdbullshiter. ...;)

Deed iemand hoort over de Nederlandse Terrorist Wie probeerde naar explosie een school bus ?
Hij verbrandde zijn Lippen op de uitlaat. ...;)

Sec. 263A. Capitalization and inclusion in inventory costs of certain expenses

It must be ... the color of my pilotchute...

oooh.
there is a difference?
which one works best?

I've read nice things about purple...:P
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

It must be ... the color of my pilotchute...

oooh.
there is a difference?
which one works best?

I've read nice things about purple...:P

You laugh, but a while back we noticed a significant difference in the feel of the fabric in different colored portions of some Toxic pilot chutes.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Paragliders use a zero P rip stop nylon with a sprayed sunblock treatment...the color really matters on how fast the wing breaks down.

You laugh, but a while back we noticed a significant difference in the feel of the fabric in different colored portions of some Toxic pilot chutes.

do you think it was due to color?

or is it possible a lot thing...
(i.e., the finishing processes between lots of different colors varied. similiar to the waxy, light blue material Apex used on some pilot chutes.)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I think your "read this first"thread was isnult to many and far from being in spirit of our sport.

do more 420!

Benjamín