martwald

Low pull

Anyone have any video of this low pull

http://fishki.net/comment.php?id=13008

It's interesting to see the dynamics of full-flight WS opening. Before linestretch, the canopy is in the 'saddle' between bridle and lines, with its center of gravity lower than the suspension points. This makes the canopy orientation more stable, resisting any twisting forces. Maybe this explains why openings from full flight have better heading?

(BTW, a 180 in this low pull would most likely ruin a day...)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Before linestretch, the canopy is in the 'saddle' between bridle and lines, with its center of gravity lower than the suspension points. This makes the canopy orientation more stable, resisting any twisting forces.

Do not forget that body position of the jumper still remains fundamental to on heading canopy / jumper.

If your shoulders are off you can cause the canopy to rotate prior to bottom skin expansion (or also through bad packing, Murphys law) or alternatively you will rotate around one riser into line twists after bottom skin expansion.

Personally I have observed more cases of line twists with WS openings than normal jumping.

Pulling low is easy, just do nothing for longer... Allowing time to deal with OH, twists or a jammed zip could be prudent.
BASEstore.it

Poor body position is usually attributed to off-headings and/or line twists. Anyone any idea why this results in either of, but not necessarily both of the following "mechanisms":

1) Rotation of the canopy only (off-heading)
2) Rotation around 1 riser after bottom skin expansion, resulting in line twists

Is it to do with the degree of asymmetry, (differential) loading of the risers, type of asymmetry (dipped shoulder vs twisted spine, kicking legs etc), snivelling time (slider up vs down), horizontal component of speed through the airmass etc?

Thoughts?

I would expect slider up to be more prone to off-headings, and maybe consequentially less prone to line twists?
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I've often seen jumpers spin into line twist after openings because of either (a) a good track, or (b) poorly set brakes (too shallow), or both, combined with an off heading opening.

When the canopy opens heading one way, especially if it surges that way, and the jumpers body is moving a different direction, the jumper tends to get slung around to face the same way as the canopy (the jumpers body being pulled by the risers), which can start a rotation resulting in line twists when the jumpers body rotates past the canopy heading.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey MB38 & Yuri,

I just got time to watch those videos...

All I could think was 'Holy Shit Man Pull'.

Gald everyone landed okay. Peace.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Video: http://base416.com/max.mp4

Any information on gear configuration? The opening looks just a bit snively.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio