Tinkerbelle

little people carrying lots of lead

Hi There,
I am a small female, 100 lbs. I have had trouble for years trying to carry weight on my body to jump with all you big people! Having grown tired of weight vests squishing me making me feel like a sandwich I finally put the weight on my back pad. The way it was afixed was a bun design. It was 12 lbs of lead shot in a plastic matrix in a cardboard frame attached to the back of my reserve. It was solid and inflexible! It ended up crushing my spine and hurt my neck 'cause it dug into my spine and did not allow my torso to flex on opening, thus putting all the extra impact on my tiny neck!
4000 jumps later, I finally took it out and replaced it with softer, more flexible weights that I can velcro into the backpad pocket. he system is not ideal, as the weights are not long and there is a heavy seam where they attach in the middle of my torso.
Doas anyone have a better idea of how to best hang weight off a timy frame so as not to injure the jumper?
I have debated with myself for years whether or not it would be better to put it on the rig or your body. My thinking is that if it is on the rig, when the parachute opens it suspends the weight, but if it's on your body, when the parachute stops, the weight on your body and your body keeps going, only stopped by the harness. Thus if the weight is on your body, that puts the added weight as an extra strain to your neck and body against the harness.
What is your thinking on this?
Tink
:)
Rehab is for quitters.

I finally found lead shot in tiny squares, in bigger squares. The lead brick was what urt me, it was hug and solid! Long ago I net a guy who made a horse collar type vest with long shot worms that covered from and back. I tried to get one, but he said he broke several nedles just making the one so he didn't want to make another. Had I had one of those I would not have hurt my neck. It was so well distriguted, you could hardly feel it. Seems like the more you can spread out the weight the better.
But still don't know whether it's better on the rig or on your body?!
As it was mine was so lame all on the backpad, that if I got tipped I felt like I would tip over. Also I couldn't change the weight since it was all sewed in and solid. I came up with lots of designs, but never put them into effect 'till it was too late!
Little people wearing lead have to be careful! I envy all them big people with tiny weightless rigs. As it was mine was about half of my body weight! I guess in the end I was just too small for this sport! Too much extra weight my body could not handle just to keep up with all the big lugs!
I would still be very interested in any new novel ideas about how to best carry lead!
Tink :(
Rehab is for quitters.

Well I scuba dive, and I know weights come in brick, and soft lead shot pouches, you can drop these on your feet and it doesn't even hurt. They come in any size pound pouches you want. We have little pockets sewn into our vests and these slide in there and it is closed up you might be able to get something like that done. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.
Here is the site i got it off of. clicky

I lost weight and only go about 145mph max. 167mph...that is fast!!! My back hurts just thinking about it. I don't like the Idea of little girls wearing big weights. I will wear a big and even ugly jump suit first. In compitition I can see the need for speed. In recreation...perfect speed is being there.
mike...in snow bound Canada
P.S.
We don't jump up here much...but we watch the videos all winter.
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

I have a couple of suggestions and no disrespect is intended here as I'm guessing you've thought of these but...... Number one I would get a slower opening canopy than the Sabre to lessen the impact of the increased opening shock on your body when wearing weights. I have a Sabre that I bought for wingsuit jumps (and previously owned another) and believe that they are designed to open quickly no matter how you pack them. Not to mention the occasional slammer that seems to plague some Sabre owners. Also another trick which I haven't personally yet tried but has some following is the half-football (like a nerf) worn under the jumpsuit to improve body aerodynamics.Anything to reduce the amount of weight you have on your body. Half the weight in the backpad and half on a vest would help too. I often wear 8-12 lbs to keep up with the heavyweights and dislike the discomfort (but like the extra canopy speed). Obviously you're already wearing a super-slick suit, maybe providing forearm sleeves to slow down the big people could help. Whatever it takes to prevent further injury.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

the weight in the backpad and half on a vest would help too.

Good idea.

Might also try a weight belt instead of a vest. I've jumped a couple different vests and one belt, and imho the belt was far more comfortable than any of the vest designs I jumped. Other advantages to the belt include being able to shed the weight quickly (think water landing) and not having to wear the weight for as much time since you can put the belt on in the loading area after you're geared up.

At least one of the belts that are currently available can hold over 20 pounds. Most are sold with 10 pounds.

I usually wear 14 lbs of lead to keep up with the average faller... I wear a belt and it isn't too bad, except I've had a sore back once or twice. I found I liked the belt better than the vest, but I have only a couple jumps on a vest.
Its nice to jump with smaller people and wear less lead, but the 14 lbs is really easy because it puts me at an average rate so we don't have to worry about who is wearing what jumpsuit, and taking out or putting in the little pouches, and we usually don't have level issues. I'm kind of worried about back problems later on, but right now I'm young and stupid and having fun, so I'll just go with it!

At least one of the belts that are currently available can hold over 20 pounds. Most are sold with 10 pounds.

Which weight belt can hold 20 lbs? Mine cannot hold more than 12, and that is pushing it.

Tinkerbelle, I know what you are talking about. I recently began to wear a weight belt. I weigh about 97 lbs., and I have been using about 10 lbs. on a weight belt while jumping 4-way. Since even some of the men use about the same amount (or more) of weights (where I jump, anyway) doing 4-way, I am going to be adding more weights. Even wearing a few more lbs. can be quite painful by the end of the day. :( I do see, however, that the more I jump with the weights, the more my body adapts to it. I also prefer how my canopy feels a little more responsive when I am wearing my weights. :)
I am going to try to get some more weights sewn into pockets into my Reflex's mudflaps (?) and perhaps the back pad (?). I am looking into this on the weekend, so I will let you know what they say about carrying weights on the rig.

I got my belt from a rigger - he modified it to hold more weight, because most people don't need more than 10lbs. It can hold a maximum of 16lbs, but if you need more I'm sure you can find a rigger who can help you out.
I know a smaller guy who does competition 4-way, who has weights sewn into his container - he said its a lot easier that way... he usually wears a belt too, but just not as much in it. Hope this helps... :)

Hey, I've missed seeing your pretty face! PM me...
Yeah I tried a belt, but would have to get used to a different flying position, always preferred shoulders lower to drive body forward, but that of course is why I now have neck problems. In retrospect I know exactly what I did and why I did it. If I had it to do again, though I would do it all differently. Wish I had other small people around at the time to help me figure out my solutions were going to hurt me in the long run. Now everyone gets into everyone's business, which is good if you can take the condructive criticism. More info is better! Wish I had a fresh neck and back to do it over with. To the one above, be careful....what you do when you are young WILL ketch up with you, so if it hurts, STOP and fix it, don't just suck it up and deal with it!
Tink :)
Rehab is for quitters.