gerv

Handheld electromagnetic detector

anyone know of a cheap handheld electromagnetic/radiation detector for antenna jumps.
source, web addy etc?
ta.

google a radman...or if you are rich a nardalert...
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

try a small froresent light bulb. if the levels are up high enough to hurt you it will light the bulb up.

try a small froresent light bulb. if the levels are up high enough to hurt you it will light the bulb up.

Where do you stuff the light bulb when you jump?

"Where do you stuff the light bulb when you jump? "
-

Hey Kevin, you don't have to stuff that Light Bulb anywhere before you Exit.
I say do what Iiro does & just ' Eat It '.

I never heard the words "cheap" and "RF Monitor" used together before. The monitors I see the most are made by Narda, the "Radman" and the "Nardalert XT". They both cost the same, a little over $1500 new, the Nardalert is a better unit but it's a little more bulky, it's like carrying a radar detector on you and has logging so you can go back and study your exposure levels. The Radman is slim, 1.5in X 1in X 8in, and only monitors area levels and is not as accurate. I have both at work and a Radman in my gear loft and I can honestly say that I never bother with using ether and my crews don't like to wear them also, they tend to shut them off when they get tired of listening to the beeping all the time. I had a RF safety class on these monitors at www.rfsafetysolutions.com by Richard Strickland, one of the head designers of these monitors and he told me your more at risk of harmful EME using a cell phone in an area where you have a weak signal due to your phone automatically increasing it's output wattage next to your head well over the approved exposure levels for OSAH and tower workers working on the towers. You can learn all you want to know on his website. As for fluorescent tubes, I don't know, But I know for sure a neon tubes will light with strong RF.

that's true for low-level emmission stuff like cell sites, but i'm pretty sure that standing right under a candlestick on a radio or tv broadcast tower would be a bit worse than your cell phone. Unless cell phones are able to melt RF suits :P

Either way, though, I wouldnt worry about using an RF meter. They are expensive as all hell, and your not really spending much time up there compared to tower workers. If your 3-rings or tooth fillings get hot, then just gtfo pronto ;)
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Also if your getting a - Hair Replacement for Men television commercial on your camcorder. When you do post-jump video review.
You know thing were to HOT.

Also if your getting a - Hair Replacement for Men television commercial on your camcorder. When you do post-jump video review.
You know thing were to HOT.

Or if you NEED hair replacement after the jump:P

:D
ha ha ha. very funny. Cheers thanks for that.
It's NEW and gotta lot of stuff on it including TV. However it's less than half a mile from my parents house. Cheers for advice.
g

Its possible to build a simple RF detector from radioshack parts if you can do basic soldering and read electrical diagrams; theres a few plans i've seen around but havent had a chance to try them out. I believe its just a choke/coil (detector part) that gets charged and something to pick up the induced current(output part)?

Nax

After my first A, when we got home to check out the video, we found out that the camera had picked up the song "The Reaper" by B O C.

Thought that fit perfect ;)
NEVER GIVE UP!

I wouldnt use this as a method for detecting dangerous levels. It will detect and light up with perfectly harmless levels too.

As a kid there were some normal electricity pylons nearby my house and holding a normal flourescent tube near the base of the pylon would light up the tube with a dim glow.
The first star wars film was just hitting the box office at the time and playing with our own flourescent lightsabres was unreal as kids (so long as we didnt actualy hit each other with them :))