katzurki

Slider-up altitude eaten?

How much altitude is typically eaten on a go-and-throw slider-up jump before you have a fully pressurized canopy?

i wouldnt go-and-through at slider up jumps unless its off an S.
thats not a matter of altitude to open the canopy but a headding issue

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I did a static line, slider up jump multiway of the at Tom A's dropzone.
One jumper of the same multiway did a 1s delay hand held and my canopy was fully inflated below him.
Maybe Tom A still has the vid of that jump, it was the graduation jump of the Death Camp Class 2005...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Maybe Tom A still has the vid of that jump, it was the graduation jump of the Death Camp Class 2005...

So you are the Swiss guy I talked with ;)
Remember the french/swiss? :)

Jul.
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

So you are the Swiss guy I talked with ;)
Remember the french/swiss? :)

Jul.

Who lives in Finnland... Sure!
When are you in Switzerland?

Saludos,
Michi
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

"How much altitude is typically eaten on a go-and-throw slider-up jump before you have a fully pressurized canopy? "

That is extremely hard to say exact attitude used. There is so many packing configuration variations in Slider-Up jump.
Static lining a slider-up would be the fastest to Line Stretch for sure. Even off a bridge the pressurization & opening height would vary doing a static if there was a head wind or a tail wind.
'
If the person putting you (mikkizh) off the bridge static line, slider-up. was being safe. most likely it was a tail wind for the fact of the under-steel being to your back. If you had a head-wind you would probably notice being higher up on opening and faster inflation.

I did a slider up off a 420' crane with a 46" PC and opened at about 120' with a perfect 180. One hell of a snivel! YRMV

I did a slider up off a 420' crane with a 46" PC and opened at about 120' with a perfect 180. One hell of a snivel! YRMV

Dude! What the heck were you thinking?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Video?? :P

Coco

Dude! What the heck were you thinking?

I know the answer to this one. He was thinking.. "I'm not doing that again"
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I was packed slider up for a terminal tower but we elevator was shut down. We were not in the mood to climb so we said "lets go hit up the crane" it was a stealthy opening indead. Zennie did it first ;)

Yeah there is video somewhere....opened right next to a parking garage facing back at a building.

Like everyone else said "There are a lot of variables!" However...

I took a two second delay from 1400' slider up with a Flik 293/small mesh slider, slider was quartered and I had rubber bands holding the inside flaps. My opening from release of PC to swinging under a full canopy was about 2 seconds. I got lucky and it was perfectly on heading.

If I had truely taken the 8-9 seconds I had intended I might have been in for one hell of an opening shock.

I have taken this configuration with a pro-pack terminal twice and both times you could hear my exclamations on opening.

I reviewed some of the other openings that weekend and they were around 1 sec from throw to whoa. They were taking 8-10 second delays.

I don't have ANY terminal BASE experience so I'm not sure these measurements are the norm. Anybody???

Tom,

I remember watching you off the power tower slider up...maybe flight at 70'

I was on an A at 200' and watched someone jump from 400' accidentally slider up. It was on heading and the slider was at the bumpers directly in front of me.

400' accidentally slider up..

how do you do this. accidentally. you should know whats in your rig, how its packed, what pc your using. people die this way. not a flame but your friend needs to pay more attention to detail.

did you here Jasons interview on skydiving radio?
there are people who jump dasy chained rigs without knowing it...:S:S:S
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

i have seen that video. B|:S scary! I check everything before and after packing. pins, pc attachment and bridle attachment. 3 ring system, cutaway handle firmly in place. etc.

i just dont understand the complacency.

i have seen that video. B|:S scary! I check everything before and after packing. pins, pc attachment and bridle attachment. 3 ring system, cutaway handle firmly in place. etc.

i just dont understand the complacency.

Me too, if I'm going to die in this sport I don't want to have to look down from heaven and think, fuck, why did I not check if my rig was packed slider up or slider down...:S, that would be just a waste or resources...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

400' accidentally slider up..

how do you do this. accidentally. you should know whats in your rig, how its packed, what pc your using. people die this way. not a flame but your friend needs to pay more attention to detail.

You do this as posted.. "Accidentally"
This person has jumped various objects all over the world, is very heads up and Does pay attention to detail.
It was an unfortunate accident that fortunately turned out okay.

I was on an A at 200' and watched someone jump from 400' accidentally slider up. It was on heading and the slider was at the bumpers directly in front of me.

How much of a delay did he take? Go and throw?

@Tom and Yexotay:

How high is that tower? What delay did u take?

I did some 1,5-2 sec delay slider up backflips and will do it again no problem. But it was of a higher cliff, so I can only roughly estimate the extra altitude eaten up by the snivel which lasted for about 2 secs.

Note: as everybody knows this is very much against the common knowledge and practice. People have died doing short delay sl-ups from E's. So don't do it unless you have special reasons for it, and especially don't do it if you're a beginner.

I wasn't trying to flash on this jumper, I was just trying to point out that complacency is deadly. Your friend did get lucky, but he still fucked up. There is no difference between a first timer going in due to improper rigging than a highly experienced jumper going in do to improper rigging except that the latter should KNOW better. Accidently, whatever, he fucked up. glad he's safe and it worked out. Complacency KILLS.:|

Nic

@Tom and Yexotay:

How high is that tower? What delay did u take?

480 feet.

I did several silly jumps off that thing quite a while back. If I recall correctly, the most I ever took off it was right around 4, but I don't think that was the jump Yexotay was talking about (because I seem to recall that one having a bit shorter canopy ride).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

How much of a delay did he take? Go and throw?

I think it was about a second.