bdev

Dying a container ?

Is it possible to dye a container/harness ? - there's a container up for sale, but it's got a rather 'interesting' colour scheme at the moment....

Just wondering if I've got any way of changing the colour if I decide to buy it...obviously, the colour isn't the most important thing, but it'd be nice if I could get it back to something more appealing...like a total black or something...

:S
---
One life...Use it.

I second that. I have heard here that you should not do it b/c the coloring might affect the material of the container making it unsafe. Has anyone found something safe to use? I have a bland container that would be nice to spiff up. What about airbrushing it?

Dying a container is a major alteration that must be done by a master rigger. That being said I doubt you'll find a rigger that can or will do it. And I doubt you'd be happy with the results.

And don't do what one newbie did.

Me "What did you do to this container?"

Newbie "The fabric marker said it was safe for all materials.:$"

As I looked at the Javelin that had a blue harness and containers "painted" black with I don't know how many markers.:S Needless (or maybe not) to say container never saw another skydive.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

So to what extent can dyeing or using a fabric marker actually damage the container? Is it possible to destroy it to tissue paper quality like a canopy left in the sun or are the consequences usually far less severe? I.e.; is deeming an unproffesionally-colored container unairworthy more often just a safety precaution or is it in most cases really dangerous to fly?

Personally, I would not recommend dying the container. Most dyes on the market, either don't 'take' or can damage the material and harness webbing. You might contact the manufacturer of the harness container to inquire about them changing some flap colors (new flaps). This could get costly. I would suggest, if, you are really serious about this particular container, 'tough it out' with this one till you can afford the container you really want or forget this one and keep looking.

Chuck

Virtually all inks (and marking chalk for that matter) weaken fabric to some extent. Some are better than others. Would it likely fail? Probably (likely) not. But these kind of risks are not worth taking with a life critical device. In addition it very likely, as a major alteration, makes the rig illegal to recertify. I told the guy he could send it to the manufacturer and they might put it back in the air (unlikely) but that I wouldn't pack it and put my name on it regardless. Trying to dye a rig might result in significant strength loss due to chemical degradation.

Not to mention the stuff he used was rubbing off on my hands.>:( The last thing I wanted to do was set next to this thing in the airplane.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hey, Terry!

I had a similar situation a few years ago. A guy had an all red rig and wanted the container black. After I don't know how many black markers, he got it done. The black marker on the red cordura, turned it OD-Green! He brought it to me for a re-pack and and I saw what he did and refused to work on it. The ink had 'bled' into the main and reserve. Costly mistake. He wound-up ordering a new (complete) rig... in black!

Chuck

Hee! Hee!
Reminds me of the time a rigger disagreed with his customer - about using leather dye on nylon - so he brought the rig to the factory for a second opinion.
The official response from Rigging Innovations was: "Since we do not know what type of dye was used, we cannot approve this modification. This rig was never her. We never saw it. We will not do any updates to it. We will not complete any service bulletins on it. We will not resize the harness. We will not do any repairs. We will not repack it."

On a gentler note, I do know of a few containers that were dyed black using RIT fabric dye. The fabric dye turned the rigs almost black, but it was obvious - on close examination - that the dye was not fast. Given the physical and chemical properties of nylon, it cannot be properly dyed after the yard has been extruded.

It's really 'strange', what folks will do to something that is meant to save their lives and not ask first. RIT Dye, barely works on T-shirts, without either rubbing-off or washing-out in the wash maching and ruining other clothing. Ther is mention of dying Nylon material(s) in Poynter's Parachute Manual. Basically it says 'don't do it!':ph34r:

Chuck

Dying a container is a major alteration that must be done by a master rigger. That being said I doubt you'll find a rigger that can or will do it. And I doubt you'd be happy with the results.

Any idea what the manufacturers use for tie-dyeing the cordura when they make rigs in that style? All of the dyes that are easily available 'off the shelf' are cotton-only.

Just intrigued to know.

Regards
John