base935

Freefly-friendly BASE rigs

What's the best BASE rig for freeflying?

And I'm not interested in your opinions of "legality"- I live in a place where it isn't an issue.
Gravity Research Institute

Any current dual pin rig on the market will do it.

Please PM me about your location. I'm dieing to take my WS and BASE rig off a plane!
Memento Audere Semper

Morpheous did some freeflying with the Gargoyle way back when, and there are a few pics on their web site. However, if you are talking about straight up full on freeflying with base gear on a regular basis, I think that you would be asking for a problem. WHen base jumpers primarily used skydiving gear for base, they had problems becasue they were using gear that was designed for one sport and using it for a sport it was not intended for. You would be doing the same thing in reverse, and I think that it would be short lived, so to speak.

I've got many jumps out of planes with base gear, including velcro, but I would not trust any of it for freefly. Too much speed, to many anglular changes. I hope I never hit 165 on a base jump. :P

As far as I know, the Gargoyle is the only BASE rig on the market that was actually tested in head down flight from an aircraft. I'd start there, but I bet you can get Robert at Morpheus to cook you up a "freefly friendlier" version, if you ask nicely.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Any current dual pin rig on the market will do .

That is not true. It depends on what is meant by freeflying. Real freeflying will require certain Measures. The pin cover can't allow air to enter the top or bottle and flip it open. The BOC is large so a small pilot chute can escape. It must be tightened up to hold a small PC tightly.

Premature deployments happen on skydiving rigs. Having it happen on a BASE rig has it's obvious hazards. A horshoe on a BASE rig is probably deadly.

I've watched plenty of premature deployments and some included injuries from the canopy deploying in front of the arm.

Head down is only a position, it is not freeflying. I would be fairly comfortable just holding a head down for a while with my rig, however, I would not perform multiple cartwheels, spins,(both head down and head up), layouts, eagles, etc... In other words, off a tall cliff, sure, from a plane, keep it simple.

(I just read the typo on the Para Avis site) :D

My skydiving rigs include an Eclipse, and an Infinity. Both of my containers will handle anything thrown at them. My 2 Perrigee Pro rigs will perform it's duties rather well but I wouldn't perform real free flying it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

As far as I know, the Gargoyle is the only BASE rig on the market that was actually tested in head down flight from an aircraft. I'd start there, but I bet you can get Robert at Morpheus to cook you up a "freefly friendlier" version, if you ask nicely.

Not the only one. Atmosphere was tested in head-down from an aircraft... but it's pretty much look's like Gargoyle;)
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

I thougth same before examining Atmosphere of Juri Graciov. They are quite different.

Fido

I thougth same before examining Atmosphere of Juri Graciov. They are quite different.

Risers flaps and the upper-pin flap were always different. And the corners were also very simple... but speaking of subject -- Atmosphere has sussesfully passed the FF test.
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

base-rig for freeflying?
cool.
would be nice to see a premature opening at high airspeed and the 225 base-canopy to be ruptured into 2 pieces.
but after that, you will not have to worry about emergency procedures, thank god the cutaway handle is safe under your mainlift.
oops, you do not have a reserve?
ok, at last you have been a daredevil and cool dude....

honest. if someone says, I want to jump with my wingsuit and a base gear, ok. works well.
but freefly manoevers at highspeed? probably with others? what is the benefit from that?

legal or not does not count.
mostly this is not a question (for fxo jumping, for example ...)

I would not like to show, that I am dumb.
try to hide it.

just my personal view.

:S
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well