Smeger

No slider?

Newbie that knows nothing and just interested!

I just saw a base jumping vid from skydivingmovies (my_best_movie_yet) and it looked like one of the jumpers didn't have a slider on his chute.

Does that make it open faster or is that a stupid question as that would cause injury and damage the chute?

it looked like one of the jumpers didn't have a slider on his chute.

Does that make it open faster or is that a stupid question as that would cause injury and damage the chute?

The slider is made to slow down the opening on your canopy,taking it off will force the canopy open wrry quick.
It can dammenge both jumper and gear if used the wrong way..
example using it out of a plane deafently will hurt and damengde the gear

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Newbie that knows nothing and just interested!

I just saw a base jumping vid from skydivingmovies (my_best_movie_yet) and it looked like one of the jumpers didn't have a slider on his chute.

And please don't say "chute"...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I apologise for asking such a stupid question and referring to a parachute as a "chute".

I won't post again until I know what I'm talking about. I'm sorry!

That's a very good observation.

A slider is a reefing device and works just like the slider on a skydiving canopy. The slider is used typically for delays over 3 seconds. With out the slider the chute will open rather abrubtly which is what you've seen in the videos. The material used for a slider on a BASE canopy is almost always made with with mesh so the air won't keep the slider up as long.

For shorter delays and better heading performance, the slider can be removed, or tied down to the front risers. The chute will expand to full size since there nothing to keep the canopy bundled together.

If you look here, there's a more in depth explanation.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

why chute´n you do that:ph34r:
Asking questions is a learning process,if you dont do it you wont learn:P

Dont borther about the oldies theyre as weired as our parents:P

Mikki you chute´nd post like that:ph34r: look at him he got all nervus;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I apologise for asking such a stupid question and referring to a parachute as a "chute".

Dont say that man. Its perfectly o.k. to post here with any Questions you have. Like Faber said above, its how you learn. The only " stupid" Question, is the one you dont ask.

Now with that being said, you must understand that if you make a mistake like " Chute ", then we will be forced to correct you, tease you, and play it out for about a week. :ph34r:

So just remember, you can learn a lot in here if you're willing to do two things: Be in front of the firing squad from time to time, and be able to depict the good shit from the bull shit.

I'm not sure I understand the ubiquitous deference to the use of the word "chute". Are we supposed to call the PC a "pilot parachute"? Wouldn't that make it a PP?
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

Dont borther about the oldies theyre as weired as our parents

Don't blame us oldies. We always called them chutes. Does no one pack their chute anymore, or do they only refer to it as packing their parachute?
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

i say chute anyday.. the old thing is my thing against you old once this year out before i become an adult(30) aswell:P:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Mikkie you CHUTE´ND post like that:ph34r: look at him he got all nervus;)

LOL, very nice!!
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

" I'm not sure I understand the ubiquitous deference to the use of the word "chute". Are we supposed to call the PC a "pilot parachute"? Wouldn't that make it a PP? "

I think that's funny as hell. I guess nobody would ever want to do a "PP assist"
---------------------------------------

I haven't said "chute" in about two years. Nor have I said parachute in about two years either. I just can't seem to get away from the word "canopy"...it has so much more of a technical, real-skydiver's-vocabulary ring to it. ;)

wait... are we talking about the same thing here??

i thought it was called a TARP..??:P

And please don't say "TARP"...
Its called a TARPAULIN!

Just out of curiosity........is a slider ever packed half way up for certain jumps or does slider up or down/off pretty much cover all heights?

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

It’s not really possible to pack a slider half way. Your lines go into a tailpocket so it would obstruct that. Slider up and down covers all jumps but you can do things to the canopy to help vary opening speeds (like a 10th of a second difference). Like on a terminal jump. Indirect and direct control. Lots of other stuff too. Other more experience jumps can give more on those techniques. But for my 900 and 1000-foot delays I use slider up and indirect control (the first bite of lines before the tail pock)

Coco

Cheers for that.

Lots of other stuff too.

Excellent, I like stuff!

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

Lol! The "other stuff" is done to the canopy. The slider is either up or down and then different things can be done to the canopy to slow it down. But slowing down a canopy openning in skydiving speeds is a lot different than with BASE. I don't want the snivel i get with ym cobalt on a BASE jump.

Coco

"...pack their chute..."

It definitely sounds old school to say it that way.

Tom Manship was the only guy I knew who called them "chutes" and he was almost as old school as you. :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Chute is making a come back.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I just saw a base jumping vid from skydivingmovies (my_best_movie_yet)

I heard that it was a pretty good movie. ;) The first one I made. I hope you enjoyed it.

Bryan

P.S. I still say "canopy"

Are we supposed to call the PC a "pilot parachute"? Wouldn't that make it a PP?

No, I think PC is correct. It stands for pilot canopy... :)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

Tom Manship was the only guy I knew who called them "chutes" and he was almost as old school as you.

Okay, I give up. By the way, whose idea was it to call jumps that reached terminal velocity "TERMINAL" jumps? Something eerie about that.

.....and I'm sure that you'll see that these threads often degenerate into a time for net nerds to justify their superiority to someone who knows no better Sometimes it's an opportunity to let their own thoughts wander aimlessly (pointlessly). Don't be afraid to ask questions, just be afraid of the time you will lose shuffling through worthless replies and pointless comments while never really knowing who is qualified to comment and if they are even right. For these things, I am sorry.

Good observations about the slider and keep yourself hungry for knowledge! blincmagazine.com has some decent technical information, this is more of a social forum than anything else where honest technical discussion is rare. It is most familiar with ridiculous bickering, naysaying, bragging and meaningless posts like semi-psychotic babble about irrational fears and which cell phone is the best for BASE. good luck wading through the bullshit, better to consult a mentor/local experienced jumper than even post here. Enjoy there is always some kind of good laugh here.
Premier Member IGPA
2009 IGPA Overall Champion

WWTAD