billvon

Skyhook question

One situation that I am not sure abut is when you have a main that is in some way entangled with a camera helmet. Without an RSL or skyhook you can cut away and if there is an entanglement with the helmet you can get rid of the helmet and them pull the reserve.

One situation that I am not sure abut is when you have a main that is in some way entangled with a camera helmet. Without an RSL or skyhook you can cut away and if there is an entanglement with the helmet you can get rid of the helmet and them pull the reserve.

I'm not some sort of rep for the Skyhook or the guys who make them, but it is my understanding that the Sykhook is designed so that (when it is installed in the correct direction and the lanyard isn't snaked through a reserve ripcord ring or otherwise mistakenly misrouted) any kind of reserve deployment you could do without an RSL or without the Skyhook is still possible and will not be impeded.

That's the "magic" of the spur on the skyhook device: it's sort of like a one-way connector for the skyhook lanyard. If the lanyard is being pulled away from the jumper by the canopy, great! - the skyhook will be pulled by the lanyard due to the shape of the spur to which the lanyward is connected, and the reserve free-bag and PC will both go along too.

And if the skyhook lanyard is not moving away from the jumper, e.g. the main risers are still attached to the 3-rings or to the jumper's camera helmet, or they got 5 feet from the jumper in a cutaway but a suspension line caught on a camera kelmet keeps the canopy from completely cutting away, then the skyhook lanyard slips off the spur on the Skyhook device as soon as the Reserve PC starts pulling the reserve bridle away from the jumper, and deployment looks like it would if there had never been a skyhook installed, just an RSL.

http://www.relativeworkshop.com/products/pdt_skyhook.html The picture at the top of this page shows the skyhook device and the spur to which the skyhook lanyard (called "SkyHook RSL" in that picture) connects.

Note that with the skyhook, a "regular" RSL/lanyard is still used to open the reserve container before the Skyhook RSL/lanyard attempts to enhance (or fails to enhance, but in theory does not impede) the free-bag extraction and line stretch.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I'll ask, it would be unethical for me to post video I shot without their concent, but I beleive there is a video on their website

I could not find it on RWS website, there is no videos there, just pictures. There was one Skyhook demo video on www.skydivingmovies.com, but the site is gone now... Anyways, if anyone has Skyhook in action video, ask RWS for permission and share it :)
P.S. That thing is freaking fast, man!

We have not tested a Skyhook from every conceivable main malfunction, as that would obviously be impossible. However. since the Skyhook gets the reserve out of the bag in about 1/2 a second, your main malfunction would have to be spinning YOU at 120 RPM to put a full (360 degree) line twist in your reserve in that time...and that's one-hell-of-a spin rate. Most breakaways from spinning canopies on Skyhook tests produce no line twists. The worst twist I have heard of is about 180 degrees (1/2 a twist), and that jumper said that it was gone in about a second. This question won't be answered definitively for many years, because reserve systems are used so infrequently. However, with one year of actual Skyhook use under our belts, I am optimistic that reserve line twists on Skyhook breakaways will not become an issue.

Ah, I see my mistake. In the scenario I outlined, the entire skyhook assembly (RSL, Collins, link to the PC) stays on the rig. It can't leave because the Collins loop is trapped, but it doesn't have to. At worst the reserve would deploy normally (i.e. without the skyhook) and the still-attached RSL would keep the first main riser from leaving. But having two risers attached probably isn't any worse than having one riser attached in a case like the one I outlined (spinning mal.)

Heres a link, its one of the Skyhook jumps I did.

www.cajunchickens.com/files/skyhook.wmv

Nice! That's quick. I'd love to see that video put up against another cutaway with a plain RSL, and another with a jumper cutting away and activating the reserve as quickly as he can.

Awesome video though, that's a damn fast activation!

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.