PhreeZone

Cutaway handle

Alright, I've decided to replace my Javelin cutaway handle since its as flat as a pancake and its starting to develop the tendency to fold under even after twisting it so it won't. I want to replace it with a handle thats thicker and I'd perfer one thats got a steel tube as its insert.

Are the new Javelins shipping with the old compressed foam pillow sytle still? If so what are my other options?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

not sure *exactly* what you are talking about, but my new odyssey (1 year old) the soft handles are rather flat in comparison to some other manufacturers. I was fine when I needed to use it, but think that design could be changed a little. I've seen other soft handles that are much more grippable in design, almost a mini wedge.

__

Ok, thats excatly what I'm talking about. I've got a 5 year old Jave that the handle is completly limp and its starting to get hard to grab. I noticed it on video at the end of last year curling up while I freefly and I want that fixed.

On Microns the reserve handle actually has a tubing insert in it that makes it stiff and inflexible. Thats what I'm looking for on my cutaway handle. Would any other manufactors handles work on a Javelin?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm no authority, but...

I recently lost my Javelin cutaway handle. The owner of The Pro Shop told me that he was going to order a Mirage handle for me...better design he says.

He's also a rigger, for what it's worth.

Again, I don't know by my own research, but he doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

I'm not sure the cable lengths on the different rigs. I know the reserve cable is different on the rigs and I think the cutaway is also.

I don't know the answer. He did order one for me though, so I'll find out when it comes in.

If it's longer than I need, it can always be cut. If it's shorter, that could be an issue.

When I get everything reassembled again, I'll give you an answer from experience.

As I said though, the guy is a very experienced jumper and rigger, so I'm inclined to trust him on this. I'll know for sure soon!

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

I am a big fan of the Quasar Cutaway handle - it has a place where you can stick your thumb into it to help add leverage when you go to pull.

A friend of mine had his rigger place one in his J3 and used a lighter to melt the cable down to the correct size

I'm not sure the cable lengths on the different rigs. I know the reserve cable is different on the rigs and I think the cutaway is also.

The're all different due to yoke lengths, container width's and handle location. Any rigger with access to a Nicropress swedger can build a custom handle for you. The trick is how skilled in the "dark art"s the rigger is when it comes to finishing the cable ends. That Lolon is tricky stuff to master when finishing cables.

Mick.

CUTAWAY CABLE LENGTHS

CENTAURUS: 14" AND 37"

QUASAR II: 16" AND 38 1/2"

INFINITY: 16" AND 46 1/2"

JAVELIN: 17" AND 40 1/2"

DOLPHIN: 17 1/4" AND 42"

MIRAGE: 17 1/2" AND 46"

VECTOR: 19" AND 41"

WINGS: 18" AND 46"

You can use this to determine what brand of cuttaway handle you could get that can be trimed down to fit a Javelin.

phree, check out the icon's(aerodyne) cutaway handles... they were amazingly stiff when i tried on one of thier rigs in eloy... think it had a wooden dowel type setup inside it..... if you want something that will retain it's shape and not compress i'd look into one....