bigbearfng

cutaway cable lenghs with rsl

As I understand it-you should make sure that the non rsl side releases first; thereby ensuring that the reserve will not deploy until both main risers are released.
So the non rsl side should be shorter-is there a "standard" difference in lengh that folk use? 1/4 inch? One inch?
Thanks for all info!

In a perfect world, every skydiver pulls his cutaway handle quickly and the cables are identical lengths, however in an imperfect world we leave a fudge factor, cutting the RSL-side cable one inch longer. At least that is the standard published by Rigging Innovations.

As I understand it-you should make sure that the non rsl side releases first; thereby ensuring that the reserve will not deploy until both main risers are released.
So the non rsl side should be shorter-is there a "standard" difference in lengh that folk use? 1/4 inch? One inch?
Thanks for all info!

For the Reflex I chose a 1" differential for the RSL side VS the non RSL side.

Mick.

Sorry, but I cannot explain the length difference on TSE Teardrop soft housings.
When we used to manufacture Flexons and Talons with soft housings, standards for trimming release cable were the same as for hard housings: one inch longer on the RSL side, so the RSL-equipped riser releases last.

Nope - nice hard housings for me. Rig is only 2 years old :)

Is the cable length shorter on the left side, or is the cable length past the end of the cutaway housing's amp connector shorter on the left side?

I imagine the lengths in that doc have something to do with the left cutaway cable being so much longer because it snakes behind the neck, down the left web, and makes a u-turn. This could make the amount of cutaway cable sticking out the amp end of each housing a misleading indicator of which will pull first. The very long, left cutaway cable with two u-turns could have some slack in it that the right, short, direct cutaway cable does not. This could explain why they want the amount of cutaway cable sticking out the end of non-compressible cutaway housings to be equal when we all think we want the RSL-side (left side in their doc) to release second. Compressible cutaway cable housings may exacerbate the slack difference and explain the second drawing, where the left (RSL-side) cable sticks out the housing not even as far.

First, I would trust the manufaturer, and call them if I was having any trouble doing that.

Second, I would test it on the ground. A diagram on paper may not reveal the nuances that being there in person would.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.