freeflyer317

never made a base jump

been reading up on base. have 300 jumps. been driving by the buildings in dowtown austin for a couple months. coiuld probably use some advice

been reading up on base. have 300 jumps. been driving by the buildings in dowtown austin for a couple months. coiuld probably use some advice

save your petrol, stop driving by those buildings and go to the DZ and start practising some large 7-cell skills in accuracy and CReW (300 jumps without those skills means fuck all), keep reading and start doing something that will actually benefit you...

I would say rl told me to say this, but she didnt so I cant say that..... ;)

been driving by the buildings in dowtown XXXXXX for a couple months

Buildings are the most dangerous objects out there and there are tons of them in my hood. The devil in me says go ahead just do it, make the jump(s). They're survivable as long as ??? doesn't happen. But the smart side in me says "Wow slow down there tex, are you really ready for this"? Buildings are the last thing you need to be thinking of right now. Gain the appropriate canopy experience, learn about BASE and look for safer objects to begin with.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Most of my advice is here. There's an updated copy of that article that hasn't made it up on DZ.com yet. If you want that newer version, let me know where you can get a 150k attachment, and I'll email it to you.

For specifics: Don't bother looking at those buildings yet. You'll need to work up to them, and you'll want to make plenty of jumps of other stuff, first.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

nice one...

get mo jumps and study up. I have a zip file of all BASE knowledge I have been collecting over the last 4 yrs... I can email you if you want.
(its 4.59mb)

Oh ya... i will talk to "E.S." and pass your contact info to him if you PM it to me.

The hot tip on the street: stick to PM's when at all possible...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

If you have been reading up on BASE, what made you think that low buildings would be in the near future?

What have the locals that you've been talking to about getting into BASE said about your FJC from a B?

Seriously. BASE isn't the cool thing that you do when the clouds drop at the dz. It is not skydiving, and almost shares nothing with it. Different equipment, different techniques, different freefall skills, different parachutes, different canopy skills- the parachutes aren't even made out of the same material.

If you haven't made a BASE jump, read Tom's article. Then, read Nick's fatality list of all the people that did the right thing and are still dead. Bring hookers, beer, and offer to drive the locals to their jumps, and see what it is about. (Taking ground video makes friends, just like video in freeflying...)

Get into it the right way. Talk to the locals. Unless they are dicks, don't bother.
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

save your petrol, stop driving by those buildings ;)

whats petrol? could you define that for us americans, please? :P;)

It has increased to 7.3mb zipped... found some other misc stuff laying around and tossed it in....
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...