cesslon

Tracking Question.

Hi all,

as a BASE fan (with no experience or knowledge) I always have some questions I'd liked answered out of curiosity.
Some times I look at cliff's and things and think "Could that be jumped etc."
anyway,
I was recently looking over some photos of a 1800ft cliff in Australia.
Biggest cliff I have seen jumped in oz is a 900ft (I believe) gorge which requires a fairly good track but nothing compared to this 1.

Anyway my question is, say the best tracker in the world with the best tracking gear, *ran* and launched off a 1800ft cliff (close to sea level so not on top of a 9000ft thin air mountain)
How far could he get away from the mountain (remembering he is doing a running launch) at
100ft
200ft
300ft
400ft
500ft
600ft
700ft
800ft
900ft
1000ft
1100ft
1200ft
1300ft
1400ft
1500ft
1600t
1700ft
1800ft

All guestimates welcome

Disclaimer: anyone who disputes the height of my cliff will be beaten up.

the horizontal distance of this jump is ~ 1200ft.(measured in a map)
height ~ 1700ft, pull ~ 300ft.

~ 1500ft horizontal seems doable for me,perfect jump in perfect conditions.
more with a crazy low pull.

the question is: where ends tracking and where starts wingsuit? do i need a wing between my legs to call it wingsuit? a inflatable suit is a kind of wing i think.
every piece of fabric you wear more than bermuda shorts is cheating and not pure tracking.
but cheating can be fun;)

Good stuff.;)
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

the question is: where ends tracking and where starts wingsuit? do i need a wing between my legs to call it wingsuit? a inflatable suit is a kind of wing i think.
every piece of fabric you wear more than bermuda shorts is cheating and not pure tracking.
but cheating can be fun;)

You can use what ever common technology you need for this jump
a wing suit is allowed, just I would have thought you wouldn't go as far the first few hundred feet compared to say if you did a running exit, as I couldn't imagine someone running wearing a wingsuit lol, although I have seen wingsuits fly after about 1.5 seconds of free fall and also some wingsuit people jump do a good jumping launch

How far away from an object could you get after falling 200ft from the top if you did a running exit, compared to if you jumped with a wingsuit?

Awesome video B|

Just watched it then.
how far away from the exit horizontally do you reckon you were in that vid after falling 200ft?
and again at 400ft?

got any more sweet vid's online like that ?

as I couldn't imagine someone running wearing a wingsuit lol,

no problem doing running exits in a Phoenix Fly Prodigy

how far away from the exit horizontally do you reckon you were in that vid after falling 200ft?
and again at 400ft?

no idea, i never jumped with a gps,so no valid data besides watching the video.i would like to know it as well.

got any more sweet vid's online like that ?

here you go. website is far from completed.

Andrea, do you have further calcs taking into account suits?

PS: love the work you do with your maths!

assuming the wall is sheer here are my guesses for running and having a really good tracking pant jump

How far could he get away from the mountain (remembering he is doing a running launch) at
100ft 40ft away
200ft 65ft away
300ft 75ft
400ft 85ft
500ft 100ft
600ft 150ft
700ft 200ft
800ft 250ft
900ft
1000ft
1100ft
1200ft
1300ft
1400ft
1500ft
1600t 700ft
1700ft
1800ft 1000ft

total guesses.. but fun to think about.

There is a recently posted plot of speed and glide angle for a track that was uniformly described as awesome:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1957747#1957747

Maybe the author could post the actual distances, but you can extract some stuff from the speed plot. The jump itself is at 2 seconds. The jumper takes some running start (1 second of it) - so it's a just a few steps and jumps at 2 seconds. The horizontal speed is ~10-15 km/h =~ 4 m/sec. After 1 second tracking starts and the horizontal speed picks up to ~ 10 m/sec at 5 seconds after the jump. Then the data are lost. (It's easy to interpolate, though)

The table shows roughly how far down and away you would be from the exit point.

forward
time (sec) down(m) no track(m) with track(m)
1 5 4 4
2 20 8 9 The track starts!
3 45 12 16
4 80 16 23
5 135 20 32 (without track it would be <20m)

Lost data

This is apparently as good as it gets.

4 m/sec is not very fast running, so theoretically a few more meters per second could be gained, but for whatever reason you do not see that on videos.

Hi all,

I have attached 2 photo's below.
Ya reckon this could be jumped if you could get a run up on the top?
I have a strong feeling that it hasn't been jumped, but who knows it may have been investigated before and decided that it can't be jumped.
the highest point is 1843 feet above the water (pretty high for australia).
at around 1000 feet you can flop it out piss and hit the water.

This place is in the middle of no where, quite an amazeing structure, just comes up out of the sea, is a bit of a challenge to climb.

:S

Is that where the batman's bat cave is located?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I'm sorry, I cannot help myself. it goes something like :

By maximizing freefall time, you minimize object strike potential ( aka - pull so low, that even if you have a 180, you hit the water since you don't have enough 'tude to make it to the cliff face ).

:)

After seeing the latest vid from xxxxx Falls in Queensland Australia I'd say no need for a slider, sliderless 1800ft jump might sound a little rough but if the recent vid was anything to go by there slider wouldn't get a chance to come down due to the water above the risers as the chute is opening lol

Hi,
here is the distance/time diagram. i also attached another one from a different jump. this is without GPS-loss, so it might be better for some parts. tracking gear has been used...
-h-

very cool
why the wobblyness around the 600 to 700 mark on the second image ?

I love those pictures:P
Where abouts is that rock? around the aussie bite?
Looks jumpable to me:)...

.-|-.Kaint.-|-.

I'd say no need for a slider, sliderless 1800ft jump might sound a little rough but if the recent vid was anything to go by there slider wouldn't get a chance to come down due to the water above the risers as the chute is opening lol

which probaly both will ruin your canopy and your day..

Back to scool,why is it that the slider is on? to slow down opening,why is it we take it off? to spseden up openings.
if you take a rig packed slider off and jump off 1800ft and pull at the last second i promis you that you gonna dammegede your gear and probaly also your self.
No matter if you land into water or what ever.. bring the slider and pull that second before.. you wont regret i promise:P

Looks like a great place,but also like a rather expencive place to go to:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I'd say no need for a slider, sliderless 1800ft jump might sound a little rough but if the recent vid was anything to go by there slider wouldn't get a chance to come down due to the water above the risers as the chute is opening lol

which probaly both will ruin your canopy and your day..

Back to scool,why is it that the slider is on? to slow down opening,why is it we take it off? to spseden up openings.
if you take a rig packed slider off and jump off 1800ft and pull at the last second i promis you that you gonna dammegede your gear and probaly also your self.
No matter if you land into water or what ever.. bring the slider and pull that second before.. you wont regret i promise:P

Looks like a great place,but also like a rather expencive place to go to:D

Hi Faber,
Its called extreme sarcasm lol

I love those pictures:P
Where abouts is that rock? around the aussie bite?
Looks jumpable to me:)...

NSW,
Halfway to New Zezland